COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Capitals everywhere: Settlement Sizes

Additional Settlement Sizes

Opening funny:

Nordheim, "well, coe might not be the game with the most capital BUT at least it has the most capitals :nerd:"

Introduction and Reasoning

While every kingdom has one capital, I guess its also correct to say that every duchy has one capital and maybe that every county has one capital. However, isn't it quite strange to say that every settlement in CoE could simultaneously become a capital? There also needs to be room to grow throughout the 520eyrs. I'd think that a City would be much larger than only 150 residents, albeit, it'd be impossible for it to be a realworld size City of ~250k+.

Suggested Labels and Parcel/Population Requirements

No Changes:

• Hamlet (3 parcels:10 residents)
  • Village (9:25)

Only Renamed:

• Small Town (from Town, 25:75)
  • Medium Town (from City, 49:150)
  • Large Town (from Capital, 81:250)

Additional settlements:

• City (144:500)
  • Metropolis (256:1000)

Suggested Settlement Building Requirements

No Changes:

• Hamlet: Wells, 1 per 3x3, more wells required as settlement grows
  • Village: Tavern, 1 per 5x5(?), more taverns required as settlement grows(?)
  • S.Town: Town Hall
  • M.Town: Court House

Maybe Changed:

• L.Town: Social/Cultural Building (aka Monument?)

New:

• City: 3x Social/Cultural Buildings (from at least 2 different Categories)
  • Metropolis: 7x Social/Cultural Buildings (3 Categories)

Types of Social/Cultural Buildings

4 Categories:

• Health: Hospital, Apothecary
  • Civic: Market (new? like tavern but 9x9?), Arena, Library, Museum
  • Religious: Temple, Cathedral, Shrine
  • Education: Orphanage, School, Academy

Benefits of Additional Settlements

After the profound benefit of the Medium City's Courthouse, the benefits of the larger settlements, Large Town / City / Metropolis, could be more fame related and provide trade and migration bonuses:

Fame:

• LT: 8x minimum for leader, 4x minimum for delegates
  • C: 16x, 8x
  • M: 32x, 16x

Trade and Migration:

• NPCs are more inclined to travel from further locations with trade goods.
  • NPCs are more inclined to relocate to the settlement and surrounding settlements from further away.

Required Changes?

No real changes are made to anything that is already done, that we know of anyway. Only the settlement size names would change: Instead of Capital, it'd be Large Town; instead of City it'd be Medium Town; and instead of Town, it'd be Small Town. All the requirements for the current settlement sizes remain the same, aside from monument, maybe.

What is a monument? What benefit does a monument provide? Why does it provide it? It's likely to be something similar to a social/cultural building already.

12/7/2019 11:58:04 PM #1

Well before DSS I could see making the size change. But not now, people spent a lot of money to get their settlement where it is. Changing now would be problematic.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

12/8/2019 12:11:35 AM #2

Looks like a lot of unnecessary added complexity to me.

12/8/2019 12:19:41 AM #3

No real changes are made to anything that is already done, that we know of anyway. Only the settlement size names would change: Instead of Capital, it'd be Large Town; instead of City it'd be Medium Town; and instead of Town, it'd be Small Town. All the requirements for the current settlement sizes remain the same, aside from monument, maybe.

What is a monument? What benefit does a monument provide? Why does it provide it? It's likely to be something similar to a social/cultural building already.

12/8/2019 12:40:13 AM #4

If you are changing the names, you are changing what people were buying. That is something

12/8/2019 12:42:07 AM #5

Yes, you're absolutely right. It'd be like changing Rock house to Stone house.

Too much complexity? I mean sure, it might be just fine having a "capital" have a population of 250 and another "capital" with a population of 2500. An entire order of magnitude larger, yet, they have the same label and same game mechanic benefit.

Who knows, maybe after 500eyrs there will be a "capital" with a population of 25000 next door to a "capital" with a population of only 250. Both receiving the same label and benefits that go with the label.

12/8/2019 12:50:33 AM #6

Well it's pretty obvious you really don't understand. So I'll just leave it to someone else.

12/8/2019 12:56:25 AM #7

I probably understand just fine. You're claiming that people bought and upgraded their settlement just so that it would have the label "capital."

A class 5 settlement (capital/Large Town) will still be a class 5 settlement (capital/Large Town) with the same population, same buildings, same parcel count, same game mechanic, same everything, except the label would be changed from "capital" to an actual description of what it is, a "Large Town."

I know of one "capital" that would become a Metropolis. And why shouldn't his settlement have a different label than the much much smaller "capital" that only has a population of 250?

12/8/2019 1:26:35 AM #8

I believe the problem that you are trying to solve, Avastar, is that eventually small settlements will grow into larger ones. From my understanding, how the devs are trying to mitigate this is by having limited resources in any given area, such that large settlements are placed such that there are enough resources to maintain the population. Additionally overpopulation will be solved by the discovery of new landmasses.

There are problems with this, though. For example over use of resources might cause the value of a Spark of life to decrease/fluctuate. I am not sure how the devs intend to deal with this.

Sir Vereneth Faithful of the Grand Church

12/8/2019 1:32:01 AM #9

I do agree though that overtime the title of the settlements should change according to their population. I believe that it is intended that the structures that you suggest be a requirement of such titles, be limiting factors to population and thus indirect necessities.

12/8/2019 1:43:50 AM #10

1 parcel adjacent to a river can feed 18 characters, that means a 1km long river can feed 576 characters, plus any food from farming. However, this might lead to over fishing. At least until fisheries (fish farms) are created, which would likely drastically increase the available renewable fish food.

I have not heard about how many characters 1 parcel of farmland can feed. I assume at least 36, double the river per parcel.

12/8/2019 1:46:45 AM #11

I love that this discord conversation literally made it to a forum post <3

Friend Code: 5AE86A

12/8/2019 1:53:56 AM #12

Posted By Avastar at 7:43 PM - Sat Dec 07 2019

1 parcel adjacent to a river can feed 18 characters, that means a 1km long river can feed 576 characters, plus any food from farming. However, this might lead to over fishing. At least until fisheries (fish farms) are created, which would likely drastically increase the available renewable fish food.

I have not heard about how many characters 1 parcel of farmland can feed. I assume at least 36, double the river per parcel.

Thanks I did not know any specifics

12/8/2019 3:04:38 AM #13

Posted By Avastar at 12:43 PM - Sun Dec 08 2019

Your assumption would be wrong. Snipehunter has said that at peak efficiency one parcel of farmland (on average) can sustain about 20 people, that however is subject to revision at any time.

Note: that is PEAK efficiency, not the average efficiency.

Where did you get those numbers for fishing? I would guess that is also a peak number that would deplete the resource quite quickly.

12/8/2019 3:08:42 AM #14

Yup, I said can, which includes the max. 1 km of river is 16 parcels per side. 1 parcel can do ~18, so 1km, can feed 576 characters.

Ah, so farming is barely more efficient than a river of fish. that seems.. not realistic, tho I'm not a farmer so my assuming is an uneducated assumption. maybe it is a game balance mechanic that causes farmland to be barely better than fishing a river?

12/8/2019 3:13:17 AM #15

Posted By Avastar at 2:08 PM - Sun Dec 08 2019

Yup, I said can, which includes the max. 1 km of river is 16 parcels per side. 1 parcel can do ~18, so 1km, can feed 576 characters.

Again, where did you get those numbers from? You are assuming it's calculated per side of the river and not a stretch as a whole, has it been stated that way by a dev?

Never a good idea to base a calculation on the statistical maximums, unless you are looking to inflate numbers...