COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
take land

can you just set up shop somewhere without buying the land by force

McPoyles rule

12/16/2019 9:32:19 AM #1

yes. current information states that if you squat on land for 28days (4eyrs) then you gain the right to that land. Currently, squating information is pushed by 'game mechanic magic' to the count's LMT. He will likely know you are doing it and come forcefully remove you. However, Snipe has mentioned that he does not like the info magically being pushed to the LMT.

I believe that squating means that you built a dwelling and bed on it and that the land becomes ancestral land when successfully squated.

I hope that the 'gaining ownership rights' (becoming ancestral land) and the 'magic push to the LMT' of the squat mechanic are removed. I believe that it would be much better if the LMT is only updated after a character that knows the LMT learns about the squater and then reports the squater to the LMT. And I do not understand how someone could legally steal the rights from a count after the king granted governorship of the land to the count. I believe converting county land to ancestral land should only occur with the king's direct permission.

Another hope that I have is that ancestral land can be combined into an ancestral settlement. The settlement would not governed by the count and it could only legally add ancestral land to the settlement. However, it could illegally incorporate land, just like a squater.

12/16/2019 10:00:44 AM #2

Lmao, gonna confuse the poor guy Avastar xD

Yes, you can build on land you dont own. So bandits can be bandits, and foreign domains can do shenanigans.

What Avastar is talking about is Adversely possessing abandoned land, so if someone hasnt been on their land for 28 days, you can then spend 28 days "squatting" on it to take it from them.

12/16/2019 10:58:44 AM #3

Ah, I did fail to mention adverse possession; it and squating are two sides of the same coin.

Adverse possession is the legal equivalent of squating. When the owner of county governed land hasn't been to the land in 28days (4eyrs), then someone may obtain the count's permission to 'squat' the abandoned land for 28days (4eyrs) and, thereby, obtain ownership of the land and everything on it.

Squating, on the other hand, is illegally attempting to possess unowned county governed land without the count's permission.

12/16/2019 11:08:04 AM #4

Posted By Avastar at 04:32 AM - Mon Dec 16 2019

yes. current information states that if you squat on land for 28days (4eyrs) then you gain the right to that land. Currently, squating information is pushed by 'game mechanic magic' to the count's LMT. He will likely know you are doing it and come forcefully remove you. However, Snipe has mentioned that he does not like the info magically being pushed to the LMT.

I believe that squating means that you built a dwelling and bed on it and that the land becomes ancestral land when successfully squated.

I hope that the 'gaining ownership rights' (becoming ancestral land) and the 'magic push to the LMT' of the squat mechanic are removed. I believe that it would be much better if the LMT is only updated after a character that knows the LMT learns about the squater and then reports the squater to the LMT. And I do not understand how someone could legally steal the rights from a count after the king granted governorship of the land to the count. I believe converting county land to ancestral land should only occur with the king's direct permission.

Another hope that I have is that ancestral land can be combined into an ancestral settlement. The settlement would not governed by the count and it could only legally add ancestral land to the settlement. However, it could illegally incorporate land, just like a squatter.

I agree that the information that someone is squatting shouldn't be "magically" given to the mayor, count or whoever owns the land (by adding to the land management table). If you own land it's your responsibility to maintain it and know what's going on with it. But I also feel that someone shouldn't be able to just steal lands owned by another...…. so yes, this mechanic should be adjusted. It's just not realistic in my opinion.

12/16/2019 11:21:07 AM #5

I remember too that this mechanic was just mentioned on used but abandoned land. E.g. a mayor is offering a new contract for a parcel someone else has not visited for months if this new contract is 28d active the new owner has claimed the parcel under the conditions specified in the contract but if the original owner is coming back within this 28d-window he has a chance to boot you out and insist on the old contract.

As far as I remember simply claiming land without a contract was “occupying” without a chance to make this legal…but you might be able to use this occupied land just the same as purchased land. I think the idea was some kind of risk vs reward. Either paying officially the price or live with the fear that there might be some guards coming to burn your current home to make this an un-occupied parcel again.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

12/16/2019 5:01:58 PM #6

Adverse possession is for land that is owned. Not any land in the county BUT abandoned property

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

12/16/2019 10:10:12 PM #7

tldr yes. you build house for 28 days, mechanics say it should be your land now. If the duke/landowner finds out, expect to be kicked out by force.

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

12/17/2019 2:27:06 AM #8

The land has to owned, then not visited by the owner, a family member for 28 real life days. Then the land will show up on County LMT as abandoned. Then you can build a building/home etc. The Count is notified that you are claiming land, then you have to hold that land for 28 irl days. It is up to the landowner to kick you off before the end of the 28 days, not the count or the duke, unless they directly own that land. When the count is notified they can do nothing about the claim to the land, they can support you or they can try and stop you.

12/17/2019 5:09:58 AM #9

There is also the squating (illegal) side of the coin.

12/17/2019 5:34:44 AM #10

Other alternatives include setting up shop on someone else's land via a lease or via permissions setup by the owner.

12/17/2019 5:20:42 PM #11

I mean, in order for it to be legal adverse possession, you the squatter/ person trying to claim land need to create a new contract, via a scribe, and submit it. You aren't necessarily "getting it for free" but, unlike when you buy land (where the count determines terms, prices, etc), the person claiming creates the terms. And Matt, it expressly says that if the count doesn't like the deal, he very well might kick you off of the land.
Therefore, in order to be "legal and binding" it appears that one would have to submit something to the duke or land management tab. If we don't like the "magical notice" then we can have a scribe update them. However, if we don't "magic notice" abandoned land, then this entire function kind of becomes moot.
Design journal does a great job of breaking it down- DJ #18: Kingdom & Land Management unless of course they have made significant changes.

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

12/17/2019 6:58:06 PM #12

Posted By LordMayorMatt at 8:27 PM - Mon Dec 16 2019

When the count is notified they can do nothing about the claim to the land, they can support you or they can try and stop you.

yeah that's what I said

12/17/2019 8:10:55 PM #13

adverse possession automatic notice seems much more reasonable to be automatic. people would surely notice if the building next door hasn't been used in 4 eyears.

squating automatic notice is almost entirely unreasonable. it's likely that nobody knows if the parcel with a home on it deep in the woods is or is not ancestral land, purchased, or squating. they'd need to know about it, and if they do know about it, then they'd also need to know about the status of that specific parcel on the county lmt