COMMUNITY - FORUMS - REPORT A BUG
Noticeable Tile Gaps on the Domain Map

Hi SBS Team,

So the issue I wanted to report is a prevalent tile gap that appears with variable frequency when changing up the browser being used, panning around, and zooming in/out.

It happens mostly on Chrome and Opera.

Firefox, Edge, and IE seemed to avoid this issue.

It's not an uncommon problem with rendering map tiles in that specific javascript library. I've seen the exact same issue in my experience, so I figured I might as well share the solution I found.

What it does is it simply takes the current tile size and adds on 1 pixel so that it closes the gap. If it helps you guys at all, great. Otherwise, no worries.

1/24/2020 5:39:55 AM #1

Interesting. Can you share an example of the problem itself? What does that look like? I haven't had (or noticed) that in Chrome on the few machines I've used, but would want to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks!

1/24/2020 5:41:50 AM #2

I posted a picture of it. You can see the tile gaps as black lines. Most visible with the water tiles, but can also be seen with the land tiles.

1/24/2020 2:25:52 PM #3

Oh, those lines aren't supposed to be there? I thought they were supposed to form a grid.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

1/24/2020 2:52:42 PM #4

Posted By zimmah at 08:25 AM - Fri Jan 24 2020

Oh, those lines aren't supposed to be there? I thought they were supposed to form a grid.

I could see a scenario where players might want a grid. But these lines appear and disappear with no reliable pattern from the normal user's perspective. Another solution is to literally place an actual grid overlay with 256px x 256px spacing. But I'd personally prefer a clean map look with no grid.

1/24/2020 7:45:01 PM #5

I believe it's just the grid. At the max zoom, it's exactly a 1km (16 parcel grid). It always dynamically renders with a minimum 1-pixel line, so at various zoom levels, it's able to render tighter and tighter down to the 1km level given any particular screen display resolution, but I don't think there's actually any part of the map "missing".

There doesn't seem to be when I measure the map at max zoom, and when I examine the way it passes through the underlying artwork, so I'm not sure that changing the tiling is the best solution. At wide zoom, it appears to be a 8km grid, but it's always in an even km multiple, so I suspect that it's not just being created by errant tiling.

If you wanted it gone, however, that's a different matter, but over any good distance, adding pixel-space to the map would be changing its dimensions.

1/24/2020 10:05:41 PM #6

Posted By Zyzax at 1:45 PM - Fri Jan 24 2020

I believe it's just the grid. At the max zoom, it's exactly a 1km (16 parcel grid). It always dynamically renders with a minimum 1-pixel line, so at various zoom levels, it's able to render tighter and tighter down to the 1km level given any particular screen display resolution, but I don't think there's actually any part of the map "missing".

There doesn't seem to be when I measure the map at max zoom, and when I examine the way it passes through the underlying artwork, so I'm not sure that changing the tiling is the best solution. At wide zoom, it appears to be a 8km grid, but it's always in an even km multiple, so I suspect that it's not just being created by errant tiling.

If you wanted it gone, however, that's a different matter, but over any good distance, adding pixel-space to the map would be changing its dimensions.

It can be proven that it's a literal tile gap, not a purposeful grid, because if the css background color is changed from black to white, then those lines also change from black to white. So it's not some kind of overlay, because those gaps reveal what's behind the layer.

The code solution I suggested only adds a single pixel to "tile.style.width", which is the visual representation of the tile, not the physical tile. It doesn't affect the map dimensions. That 1 pixel is basically a rounding error.

If the cause of the bug is some kind of anti-aliasing setting, then the better solution would be to disable that to revert back to pixelated rendering. But if the cause is an image transform error, then the pixel counting land-owners have been getting inaccurate results from the beginning. Either way, simply adding a pixel solves the visual side of the issue.

1/25/2020 10:53:49 PM #7

I'm fairly certain the "Gap" when you zoom your browser is a feature, not an error... It's every 16 jagged edges on the full in zoom, which is 1,024 or 1km in Elyria.

Either way, don't fix it, I think it's wonderful!

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!