COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Question about server population

So the wiki says that it is planned to have 100k population seeded into each server, split between PCs and NPCs. Now, looking at the map I am seeing roughly a ~500k population with all 6 kingdoms combined. And if we're taking Eve numbers ,~40k PCs on one server, that is going to leave ~460k NPCs? Am I missing something obvious?

3/15/2020 4:47:02 AM #1

Maybe I'm wrong but wont a large % of those npcs be filled by players below the mayor level once they are allowed in?

3/15/2020 9:52:38 AM #2

@SpoobyBlackHeart, how did you arrive at the 500K figure?

3/15/2020 11:40:48 AM #3

Posted By Poldano at 10:52 AM - Sun Mar 15 2020

@SpoobyBlackHeart, how did you arrive at the 500K figure?

I don't know how he did, but the mathematics is rather easy. Take Selene as an example, when looking at the 'Estimated Population' values in the Settlers of Elyria interface for each Kingdom and sum them up, you get: Demalion: 85,001-115,644 Tryggr: 57,654-78,256 Al'Khezam: 61,680-84,029 Keridwen: 69,032-93,457 Arkadia: 54,725-74,814 Total: 328,092 - 446,200

The numbers are higher on NA (~500k) and lower on OCE, you can do the calculation there yourself.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

3/15/2020 2:41:36 PM #4

Yea, just take the estimated populations of each kingdom. I am worried we are going to have these 600 people cities with only a small handful being actual players. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around there being enough players to fill out the npc slots to where there's a healthy ratio of npc to pc characters. On Luna, theres just shy of 2000 player ran settlements at the moment. I'm guesstimating that at the higher end of success, the server will hit 100k player population. That's being pretty generous, but that would make for a healthy player/npc ratio. On top of that, right now it is setup so that NPC death is permadeath, which could help the ratio over time. I'm just thinking ahead, if we ever reach that point.

3/15/2020 4:35:07 PM #5

This is something that was noticed by an awful lot of people rather quickly when DSS first showed up. I know from asking questions of Caspian in discord, that scalability of the system is a pretty big deal to him. I for one have speculated that all these years of seemingly little to no progress have probably been spent in this area of advancement, at least that is my hope.

I say that because I would hope that SBS can do the same simple math that we all have done when it comes to adding up the kingdom populations. So at this point I would have to say that they have scaled up the operation from the old quotes of 100K-200K to what we see now. They control the population in these worlds.

3/16/2020 2:43:12 AM #6

Posted By SpoobyBlackheart at 07:41 AM - Sun Mar 15 2020

On top of that, right now it is setup so that NPC death is permadeath, which could help the ratio over time. I'm just thinking ahead, if we ever reach that point.

No, it's not. Last thing the devs said is that it will take multiple deaths for NPCs before they hit permadeath. The rate is different than that of PCs, but that will be determined during testing.

3/16/2020 4:57:32 AM #7

Well, we could look on the bright side. All that extra population makes a good base for recruiting and supplying armies.

I'm really not that concerned by the ratio of PCs to NPCs. Game play was never going to be similar to typical designed-content-heavy MMOs. Most NPCs will have to be engaged in not very interesting activities producing food, raw materials, and finished products for players to consume. As such, they will probably not have to interact with PCs all that much. IMO, concern about the ratio indicates an expectation based on traditional MMOs.