COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Indicating you're a roleplayer

It would be nice to be able, if you wish, to flag your character as a roleplayer or even better as in-character / out-of-character. However such a flag shouldn't do anything else other that show that fact.

The /roleplayer flag in EQ/EQ2 was nice but because it also hide your character class and level it was used a lot by people who didn't want to be pestered for unique class abilities, e.g. clerics for rez, enchanters for Kei, etc.

Man does not cease to play because he grows old... He grows old because he ceases to play.

9/6/2015 8:21:41 AM #1

There will be no name tags above your name, so if you see two people you will not know anything about them apart from what there wearing.

9/6/2015 8:46:52 AM #2

There will be separate chat channels for those who wish to have out-of-character conversations. This doesn't seem to be the type of game where roleplayers will be the minority.

9/6/2015 9:28:46 AM #3

@doofer: We have discussed about having different channels for OOC & IC chat but the developers had said nothing about it (can't find the post). Do you know something I don't? :D

As we know of the chat system right now, nothing will stop people speaking OOC in open channel which most of the RPer would be using for IC.

My hope is that, because of the limited range of open chat, it will be left alone for RPing (IC) and any OOC talk will be brought to chat channels. But I know that's hoping too much! lol

@Calkrow: I had proposed a system where you can have IC/OOC "flags" (but not really visible) that would affect who open chat works. But as I said before no comments from the Devs.

9/6/2015 10:29:07 AM #4

Great idea and totally support it. Having a indicator if you are a roleplayer or not would be a blessing to the roleplaying community. It also allows more "out of the tarven" interaction between roleplayer instead of the old boring "everyone is staying at the tarven" roleplaying.

9/6/2015 10:53:46 AM #5

I personally don't want any indicators on the HUB or anywhere it should be down to your character to determine if they are IC or OOC.

9/6/2015 11:21:35 AM #6

I have to agree with Zultra on this one, if the rp-community should wish something, it should be that there are NO and I mean absolutely NO armor sets or clothing that are npc-only.

If people speak ooc-ly I just react to them as not quiet sane people, and others should do that too, if a person speaks OOC-ly to you, act like you don't understand shit of what they're saying, and if they're making contractions laugh at them for saying such weird sounds.

If we begin to divide it up into IC and OOC we'll see those taverns rp-only, and even if we didn't divide it we would still see it because inns will always be good rp-places to meet people (just like in real life as I may add) But if we don't have this IC OOC flag you'll most likely be IC all the time, and that is really the most immersive you could get, instead of all going OOC and saying, okay let's all go pwn this boss, and then later return to our IC characters when we come back. I get it that it's nice to be able to find rp-ers but not all know what rpers are, and some of the best experiences I've had was when I began talking IC to a new player who had no clue of what RP was, if we only keep rp between IC-rpers we'll never spread it to OOC people.

I'm going to be IC everytime I speak with a person in this game ((Unless the double))<-- but I'll do this because it's much more immersive, not only for me but for those OOC players as well. And of course you want to find rpers, but trust me, they have a tendency to be easy to spot, and you shouldn't worry too much. :> Remember this game isn't like GW, WOW Rift you name it, it's very very different, and the only goal of the game isn't go kill x, but has a completely different gameplay.

They're trying to make gameplay that will make you feel immersed, and not copying the normal sheet of mmorpgs. Try to imagine if Geralt in the Witcher 2 or 3 (or 1 for that sake) had the option to flag himself as OOC, or imagine any other character in a singleplayer game, if he had the possibility to flag himself as OOC, How fun would the game then be for that characters? Sure the combat would be great, but this game isn't based around the mechanisms of combat (hence those are the informations they haven't even bothered given out) because it's not the core of the game like family and such are.

>w<! And I will already now apologize because it might sound like bashing, and I am not trying to do that at all. I think that games like gw2 and wow would benefit with a ic, ooc-flag, but a game like CoE I'll doubt we'll be needing it =v=.

Also it's nice to see another rper! :D! Welcome to the forum Calkrow, hope we'll be seeing a lot to you :3!

9/8/2015 4:41:17 PM #7

The reason I suggest the flag is that I see the same topic come up in the RP community of every game that I play; that is the topic of 'walk up roleplay'. I often see posts where people are saying that no one roleplays with them despite standing around in obvious roleplay locations. The discussion then usually moves on to how the person saying this can actively try to get more involved in roleplay by walking up to people and initiating an IC conversation.

Whilst I can see both sides of this discussion it seems to me that players whose characters, that via a /who type command or search box, are shown as roleplayers (and perhaps whether they are IC or OOC at the time) would find more random roleplay.

I too like to be IC all the time. and tend to walk rather than run when I'm in villages, towns and cities; sometimes whilst outside of these as well. Whilst tavern RP is enjoyable I'd like to see and be involved in more random roleplay interaction whilst I'm out and about traveling, adventuring, harvesting or what ever.

Man does not cease to play because he grows old... He grows old because he ceases to play.

9/8/2015 6:21:28 PM #8

I'm fairly certain we had a discussion already along these lines. From what I understand, as of right now there won't be any indicator/and or separate chat.

-Miguel

\[T]/

9/8/2015 8:01:50 PM #9

As far as I go in terms of roleplaying, i like to have fun but often don't have enough time to actually roleplay alot. And some times i just wanna log in, do some stuff i like, and log off.

As of so, I don't roleplay in all game sessions i have. HOWEVER, most roleplay in most games is really not bothering me. Taking away the pedophilic elin from Tera, most decent roleplay can live peacefully with non-roleplaying characters since most of the game isn't "talked".

So i don't think that should be a worry. Roleplayers know that 99% of the players don't roleplay 100% of the time, so if for some reason they cross some character that doesn't interact with them in the expected way, they can just assume as much and not make a big deal out of it.

I know most people will say "oh but my character spanks those that are rude and don't answer him"... Well, but in an MMO you have to have some flexibility..

Another plus (and to end my opinion lol), since there are no name tags, most people don't go around in the street and talk to random people they don't know just because and expect an answer all elaborate so... Again, if someone doesn't answer you, maybe they just don't talk to strangers ahahahahaha

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

7/10/2017 6:02:09 PM #10

What Liva said.

7/13/2017 3:04:15 AM #11

A great anecdote a friend of mine told me of how truthfully easy engaging in RP is: he needed to cross a huge lake and didn't want to go around. A random player was on the shore and had a boat. The other player said to him "need a ride across?" to which he said yes. While on the boat ride, which took several minutes, the guy asked him why he was crossing the lake. Rather than having a big "staged" RP conversation, he simply said he was traveling to some city. The guy had started in that city and offered to travel with him. All the while they just chatting without doing the "My name is Gid son of Bo, who was the master swordsman for King Tael" stuff. Just natural organic conversation about what in-game stuff they were doing without bringing any meta into it. The guy with the boat broke IC a full half an hour later to introduce himself and said he wasn't really a RPer.

I have had handfuls of immersive RP conversations exactly like this with people who "don't really RP."

It is simple. Play your character as if your character was simply living their life. Don't talk about stats, or meta skill levels or Discord. Talk about what you're doing. "Oh, I'm just braiding ropes to sell as mooring lines down at the docks." "I see! Well, good luck to you!"

I have noticed that there are very few actively NON-RP people. Most players don't RP, but they aren't anti-RP. If you don't try to bore them with your family's history or the story of your harrowing adventures lo' these many weeks... they often play along. No separate chat or tag necessary...