COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Multi-guild membership?

Will it be possible to join more than one guild in CoE for any reason?

6/4/2016 11:59:52 PM #1

From what I understand there are Guilds, and Dynasties > Families > Player. Probably including probably a town involvement as well. But I think the only time I've seen multiguilds is in Guild Wars 2.

That makes something like 3 systems that are likely "similar" to guilds. But only 1 system is actually a guild.

6/5/2016 12:01:45 AM #2

Due to the fact they want guilds to behave more like real world guilds -- not that people are taking them in that direction on the whole -- I would say yes, because it makes no sense to say that just because you're part of say, a mason's guild, that you couldn't also belong to a cartographer's guild, if you did that, too. But again, most people aren't forming guilds along traditional lines, they're still forming them like they are in other games.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

6/5/2016 12:29:58 AM #3

Guilds are based on professions in CoE. You can join multiple guilds with different professions, but not two guilds of the same profession. So you can join a carpenters guild and a smithing guild, but not two carpenter guilds.

3/17/2019 5:01:23 PM #4

If unsure, just assume the fall back issue of any career... "Conflict of Interests". Militaristic Guilds would be a conflict with any other likewise guild, (unless there is a standing agreement between the two guilds) while Occupational Guilds would only be a conflict if the benefiting of one would take away from another, pose a bias, or contradict it's intended existence...I.E... a Guild that partakes in any illegal activity, while another enforces law.

3/17/2019 6:46:13 PM #5

Yes, guilds arent like guilds in other MMOS (that would be closer to a family in CoE, and maybe your local community such as settlement or county).

A guild is like an organization, usually specialized in some craft, like smithing, cartography, woodworking, etc.

You can join multiple guilds as long as they’re not of the same type.

In fact you can technically even join guilds of the same type (not “legally” though) because your character has identities, so you can have a fake identity on your character (wearing a disguise) and join another guild, because the other guild will see your fake identity as a different person. This is risky though, there will be consequences if they find out.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/17/2019 8:08:41 PM #6

Guilds in other MMO's are basically synonymous with gangs. Membership in multiple gangs is usually a conflict of interest, because they often demand oaths of loyalty and actions that may directly impact other gangs in a negative manner.

Real world analogy:

Being a member of the Bloods and the Hells Angels would prove to be a challenge, because they usually dont like one another.

Guilds in CoE seem to be more built around specific trades or endeavors. So if you have time to be involved in multiple trades and endeavors on a significant level, then multi guild membership may make sense.

The cost of membership though may be quite steep. A real life analogy:

Being a credentialed member of PMI, you need to engage in a certain amount of hours of direct involvement every 2 years that need to be reported upon in order to maintain your credential. Work and life balance can often make this challenging and/or a stretch to maintain. Adding on another credential in this instance only makese sense if its related so experience can be used to double up in areas.

3/17/2019 10:05:23 PM #7

Guilds should be fun just like Kingdoms. I’m really not too sure why SBS hasn’t treated them the same way and allowed people to purchase or earn their roles so that when we start we will have Kingdoms and inside those Kingdoms we will have functional guilds for the trades. Want to hire a guard? We should have a guild for that which sets rates and charges fees. Same for most trades.

3/17/2019 10:40:23 PM #8

Posted By Drudge at 6:05 PM - Sun Mar 17 2019

Guilds should be fun just like Kingdoms. I’m really not too sure why SBS hasn’t treated them the same way and allowed people to purchase or earn their roles so that when we start we will have Kingdoms and inside those Kingdoms we will have functional guilds for the trades. Want to hire a guard? We should have a guild for that which sets rates and charges fees. Same for most trades.

That is an interesting idea and would add multiple levels of texture to the game. I like it.

3/17/2019 10:42:23 PM #9

Posted By Drudge at 5:05 PM - Sun Mar 17 2019

You can buy guild tokens, but guilds are not the same as kingdoms and shouldn’t be treated as such.
There isn’t much info about guilds yet, but they’re mostly an organized group of people pursuing a certain trade. Since nothing is set in stone yet it’s a bit early to make guilds, and I don’t think buying into power makes sense for guilds anyway.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/19/2019 10:30:49 PM #10

Posted By zimmah at 6:42 PM - Sun Mar 17 2019

Posted By Drudge at 5:05 PM - Sun Mar 17 2019

You can buy guild tokens, but guilds are not the same as kingdoms and shouldn’t be treated as such.
There isn’t much info about guilds yet, but they’re mostly an organized group of people pursuing a certain trade. Since nothing is set in stone yet it’s a bit early to make guilds, and I don’t think buying into power makes sense for guilds anyway.

Guilds have a hierarchical structure just like traditional kingdoms. I see no reason why there could not be a Guildmaster for a large trade that was either encompassing the Kingdom or even the continent and then had lieutenants that would head up local chapters. Maybe even different levels based on the size of the PC they were located in.

They would interact with the aristocracy. Maybe even be a part of the King's Council.

Heck, I personally would find that even more fun than running a Kingdom.