COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
VoiceChat?

I am just wondering, will be voice chat? Of course, I mean within local perimeter.

3/15/2016 12:57:08 AM #31

Please remember that people are entitled to their opinions. Also, please remember that being contrary for the sake of being contrary is rarely productive.

In response to what I'm seeing... I feel like Victoria and Kardaine are agreeing loudly at each other.

Victoria says VoIP is great for player collaboration, planning, etc...but makes role-play harder... unless you're role-playing a same-gender, similarly aged person, as otherwise, it's hard to "hear" what the person is role-playing as. It's a fair point. I couldn't easily roleplay an 18-year old female with my voice. However, I could if I stayed in chat.

Kardaine says VoIP is required if you're playing the game essentially out-of-character. You want to tell your buds you're in trouble and it's hard to type that. Admittedly, while that's the only example Kardaine has provided, it's still a valid example.

However, Kardaine's issues can be alleviated with NPCs smart enough to come to your aid if they can see you're in trouble, friends who are smart enough to come to your aid if they're standing within earshot of you, as well as "Shout" emotes, which allow you to get peoples' attention with one click of a button.

In either case, we see value in integrating VoIP into the game, however it effectively is already solved by the use of 3rd party software.

So it really comes down to... do you want the ability to play as a Ward (or some other mechanic we've discussed) or do you want to have integrated VoIP instead of TS/Discord/Vent/Skype/....

3/15/2016 1:21:30 AM #32

@Caspian I don't mean to cause a ruckus. I never expected voice-chat to be integrated. Very few MMO's have it integrated. My thoughts started on a post I created, not realizing this one was already started months ago. Even WoW put it in, and most player still use 3rd party programs. I guess, I see it working very well with constant tweeks and modifications for each scenario as they arise.

But to answer your question, and I think I would be answering it for anyone at this point, We would much rather have the game and its mechanics than something we already have via a 3rd party option.

/y Button though, please.

-K.V.

P.S. @VictoriaRachel If I was to aggressive with my debate, I apologize.

3/15/2016 4:39:14 AM #33

Except CoE doesn't have an exclusive agreement with Razer Comms to be the official VOIP for the game.

3/15/2016 9:49:20 AM #34

I agree with multiple parties here. Voip is useful for playing alongside your friends and guild without needing to be next to them all the time. Say my guild is want to adventure and I want to craft at home.

But for role play purposes Voip is a big no no. And besides I don't want to talk to random idiots in my chat or have idiots yelling crap in my ear constantly.

So leave it text chat in game and Voip out of it. You guys needed to play MMORPG games before Voip and then tell me it's "needed"

3/15/2016 10:58:00 AM #35

if you had to list ingame features that are commonly abused... voice comms would be the top of that list 99 times out of 100.

There's always someone who'll run around blasting music out of their mic with the base turned up, or they have TV/Movie sound effects or quotes queued up to various key presses. Also people rage at others for getting in their way, or for sounding like whiney kids, or for the game lagging, or they are blaming the game for their lack of skill. Hell people will just rage tell people to shut up if their mic isn't working properly.

On a forum thats for an in development game, most people will say it'll be used for innocent reasons, and that is true for the people that use the forum.... but when the game launches it's not those people who'll be heard ingame on voice comms, it's the people who make the most noise.

This game is supposed to be all about players managing themselves and giving them the ability to deal with troublesome people. Ingame voice comms removes that ability whereas a 3rd party program, players can police that themselves by kicking people out of their channel/server.

3/15/2016 11:02:02 AM #36

Have you considered trying to get a 3rd party voice comms company to sponsor the game? The website doesn't have adverts as it is, so might be able to get some extra income by making something the "official" CoE VOIP :D

3/15/2016 12:54:29 PM #37

@Kardaine right back at you. Hope we get to VOIP together at some point!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

3/15/2016 1:23:40 PM #38

I would rather the development go into other mechanics than VOIP. Let the 3rd party software take care of it. I've played games where it was built in and yes sometimes it can convenient but other times its a mess when you cant control the mics and everyone gets talking, yelling and screaming.

3/15/2016 1:37:08 PM #39

I think we would have to make a difference between plain VOIP like any third party software can do (Skype/Ventrilo/TS/Mumble/etc) and 3d-positioned VOIP (TS3 is able to achieve that in Arma 3 with mods/plugins for game/TS).

As for the plain VOIP, aslong as Eylirans don't have the knowledge of radio, the simple VOIP falls off the table (I don't I think I have to explain that).

As for the 3d-positioned VOIP, this COULD enhance the experience, in case of Arma 3, I'm not even considering playing the game without it anymore. BUT at the end, technique is one thing, user and their way they use it is another: Playing Arma (military sim if you didn't know that) and hearing the dog barking, kids screaming, tv running and such are killing the immersion instantly. And as sad as it sounds, people are often NOT able to adjust their input device and any kind of filtering accordingly (Voice activation for example). Another issue is the player, the human, itself: Could I pretend to be a man at any age? I say "no"!

But what happens if we don't have VOIP? I do some issues that would need to addressed for the game, beginning with the unability to simply call for help. Should I stop to chat "HELP!"? My suggestion for that would be a quickvoice system, similar to the one in counter-strike or smite and such. A key-based system that expands like a tree to make the character say something at the position of the character. For example: V-V-H = "Help!" V-V-S = "I surrender!" and more.

Brainfuck Gaming https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDtc_EYung1C2excQUZNYzw

3/15/2016 2:07:13 PM #40

Dark Atlantic did you read caspian's post he mentions single button shout emotes?

3/15/2016 3:39:22 PM #41

As soon as people start spamming voice emotes, they start becoming pointless and used often and for fun instead of it's true purpose.

It's the story of the boy who cried wolf... if everyone shouts it, no one listens when it's done properly.

This has been the case for almost 20+ years. You use the example of CS, i use the example of Team Fortress Classic from the late 90's when there was a button that you can press to shout "MEDIC!".

It would be nice to think people won't just spam a feature like this, but it's a computer game.... if you give people a button that can spam an emote, they'll keep pressing it until they have to rebind it to another key.

3/15/2016 3:41:09 PM #42

The only thing I can think VoIP being good for is a channel that you choose to go in. That way people who want too, can. And those who do not, don't have too.

If you want to be my lover, you gotta get with my friend code: 926EE6

3/15/2016 10:53:18 PM #43

Take aways:

-The time and money that could go into developing Voip would be better spent elsewhere

-If implemented, it would be abused by trolls and most people would mute most other people, and then we may as well have started with 3rd party Voip in the first place

3/15/2016 11:13:21 PM #44

Votes for Ward

Happy to use existing technologies outside of COE for my voip solutions.

IF anything, look to support 1-click links for various apps. IE: Discord chat links and what-not that can open up in a particular app to join a particular channel.

3/15/2016 11:26:06 PM #45

Concerning the trolls:

VoiP :

Player List :RagingBonerMan [Mute]

Solved.

Gameplay regardless of VoiP: Player List :RagingBonerman [?]

My point. Regardless of his voice being heard or not, trolls will be trolls. In chat, out of chat and if chat can be /block /ignore /mute as a fix, then I really dont feel its even a considerable excuse to use against Voip in game.

Again, I am all for the game being developed and using 3rd party.

Also, in regards to the spamming of the /YellForHelp button, it can have a cooldown or a spam control. In EQ I know that it helped me a lot, even though it was text based.

"PeterTheCleric yells for help from somewhere east of you" Was great and made the need immediate. I liked it.

K.V.