COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
tinkering

Did I see somewhere that tinkering was a skill, I thought I did but cant find any mention of it.

1/17/2017 2:38:20 AM #1

It exists, but from the lack of conversation it seems to be one of the less popular professions. I think the reason is that, unlike those the majority of people flock too, people do not know exactly WHAT you can do with tinkering. After seeing clocks though I am sure it will involve gears and contraptions which I think will be cool :)

1/17/2017 2:41:26 AM #2

Well I am totally gonna tinker at my hearts content. The Name of The Wind pretty much sold me on tinkerers.

A tinker's debt is always paid:

Once for any simple trade.

Twice for freely-given aid.

Thrice for any insult made

1/17/2017 4:03:15 PM #3

I may not have gotten this 100% word for word, but I tried… I notice I can't find this in the searchable Q&A Transcripts...

Jeromy Walsh AKA Caspian is asked about Tinkerer’s on the DM21 Gaming May 31st 2016 Q&A - 58:43 into the video:

“Ah, potentially some irrigation systems, things like locks & safes & vaults. Ah, let’s see, ----- for shoes, clothing, sewing equipment potentially. Potentially like cages, a lot of these require work done by more than one group. Um, parts of some furniture, timepieces, potentially things like weather vanes & barometers, & thermometers.”

“Some of those are blacksmithing, but things like thermometers could potentially be tinkerers. Potentially some lighting systems & tools. Musical instruments, those are things tinkerers will typically create. So yeah, there’s things. In general if something has a moving part, or requires a gear or something like that, it’s often something a Tinkerer will make.”

“It might be that a blacksmith acquires the core resources & crafts the components, but then the tinkerer is the one that ultimately has to put those together.”

“I can also say that the tinkerer’s research is going drive I think a significant portion of the research that happens in the world overall. I think each of the different crafting professions have a reason to research, but I think the tinkerer’s is perhaps the most interesting.”

Bicycle Walrus asks a follow up question:

“I think if there’s going to be anybody who moves it towards a Steam Punk type feel, it will be the tinkerers, yes.”

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

1/17/2017 4:28:45 PM #4

Posted By KalTheo at 09:03 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

“I think if there’s going to be anybody who moves it towards a Steam Punk type feel, it will be the tinkerers, yes.”

Well now I know which profession I'm favoring. (After architecture... and scribing... and other various roles nobility require... maybe I'll just support tinkers as a patron.)

1/17/2017 5:19:58 PM #5

It was hinted that Tinkering will definitely be a profession and an example was given the clock in the screenshot showing the house interior and the secret passage. However my personal opinion is that the profession will not come into it's own till later in the game after the civilization has developed further. At first will be all about survival and the basics of every day life, but as technology advances, then I will definitely see a need for a Tinker.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/17/2017 5:26:47 PM #6

My Count/Main will be a tinker/Carpenter ;) Yes there's been quite a cool list of things they can do. We can't be certain what final professions will make it yet though.

1/17/2017 6:45:32 PM #7

Mechanical crossbows though 😌

1/17/2017 6:56:03 PM #8

I remember Caspian saying tinkers were going to be the people that create the smaller items that help bridge different professions together. Carpentry and tailoring we create boats but tinkering would most likely create the pulley system for the sails. Also, tinkering may craft small devices like clocks..

I don't think tinkering is going to be what most people are thinking, like being an engineering or anything like that. I really hope it is like engineering even if it is tinkering will still be very needed once we get into the later profession stages.

1/18/2017 4:34:21 PM #9

I'm gonna tinker a donkey and a couple ropes into the first siege weapon . Watch out other mayors and barons , if you don't return my clay urns I might trebuchet livestock at you !

1/18/2017 5:06:12 PM #10

Anyone without a home who is interested in tinkering should check out the guild I am trying to put together. Super super interested in what part tinkering will play in technology myself.

Click for more info on S.T.E.A.M.