COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
[Right Now In Astronomy]

Moonrest

Going on Essentially At The Time Of This Update and into the later evening, find what is perhaps the most recognizable and commonly regarded stars with ease!

Polaris, popularly referred to as the 'North Star', can always be identified through the constellation it is a part of. The star sits on the far end of the handle of Ursa Minor, or the Little Dipper.

Contrary, the two farthest stars of basin of Ursa Major, or the Big Dipper (Dubhe and Merak) always align with our North Star, having earned the title, the "Pointer" stars.

Eclipse 2/17

Brought to you by the Moonrest Astronomical Society

2/18/2017 6:29:27 AM #1

Interesting.

The only constellations I can recognise when I look at the night sky is the Southern Cross and a band of three stars that are called The Three Sisters by the aboriginal people here.

Imgur Imgur

2/18/2017 8:10:33 AM #2

I can identify all of Orion. And I know you can use the southern cross to find south.

https://museumvictoria.com.au/media/1876/using-the-southern-cross-to-find-south.pdf

be cool if you can navigate by stars in elyria

2/26/2017 6:29:27 PM #3

I can look up and think stars are pretty then look back down and continuing killing things with bloodied hands...

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh