COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Look and Feel of your towns

I've read many post discussing history and culture. I'm not planning on being a mayer, count, etc. I was curious though if part of the contracts to purchase land would include something about buildings must look in a way that they match the culture of the duchy to which they belong.

Thoughts?

3/28/2017 1:15:08 PM #1

They all should look pretty similar since the materials used for the construction of said building will be the same, unless a player buys foreign materials to build out of to have some exotic and unique structure in the area.

3/28/2017 1:17:06 PM #2

There is also different architecture too, but if the same material is used the colors and feel should be similar.

3/28/2017 1:20:35 PM #3

Right, you can have similar materials. The reference would be in how buildings are laid out and how they are decorated. Will most choose a more medieval route or will the choose to try a more Celtic look and feel? You can have the same mats but lay them out in a different way in order to make things have a different flow and feel. I was just curious if some places will attempt to drive a set style in order to have more of an immersive feel. You may be right though.. in the beginning it may all look similar and diverge as the game moves forward.

3/28/2017 1:49:01 PM #4

celtic style vs an oriental style
Was trying to add some images to show this.. but its not playing nicely.

Celtic

Oriental

3/28/2017 2:00:24 PM #5

I understand what you mean, it could end up that all houses have a lot of different styles, it could be cool, but in the end only architects can design them and carpenters build them. As a soon to be owner of a town Im exited to see this in play. The diversity yet similarity of peoples creations in town.

3/28/2017 2:01:48 PM #6

Some will, for instance one of the kingdoms on EU has a very viking theme. I would imagine some of their more RP heavy players will enforce rules that the village must be designed in a viking way.

I know there is one city on the NA-E that wants to go with a very Japanese design to it.

NA-W is fairly RP heavy, so I suspect you will see these type rules a lot there.

So yes the lord of the land can make laws towards it and even build it in to the contract. but I doubt it will be something most mayors\counts\dukes take the time to do.

3/28/2017 2:05:40 PM #7

I think the game would be the better for it. Nothing would be duller than every kingdom going with a medieval style. The only sights to see would be the wilderness.

But, if kingdoms choose to design in different ways, when you enter the new area, new intrigue will give you reason to begin to explore the new land you just made it to.

Of coarse, the language barrier will add a bit of excitement to the mix. Now I'm wandering if players will give names to their on language.

3/28/2017 2:50:50 PM #8

I hope different styles can be "researched" and adapted to your tribes' usual architecture with the build tool we've heard about. If not immediate at least influenced over time. That would be a nice touch.

3/28/2017 3:38:10 PM #9

Every game I have played the buildings are square where as any ruins you come across are very elaborate. I have always wondered why such a discrepancy between the past and the present. I am hoping the architectural tools can address curved roofs, round rooms, and even a more of a gothic architecture. With such a open player driven game like CoE I think we can do better than a mere 4 walls to make a room.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/28/2017 5:28:37 PM #10

You will find different materials fare better in different climates. Also material availabilty will vary from region to region.

Tribe racial heights may vary too. Some may build tree houses.

As a result, all regions are likely to have a different appearance.

Aside from that, people will each have their own styles. You're likely to see the difference when a creative person is shaping a town's look and feel.

Constraining the plot size for an area or the uses will encourage vertical growth too.

3/28/2017 5:48:45 PM #11

Posted By Sullen at 10:38 AM - Tue Mar 28 2017

Every game I have played the buildings are square where as any ruins you come across are very elaborate. I have always wondered why such a discrepancy between the past and the present. I am hoping the architectural tools can address curved roofs, round rooms, and even a more of a gothic architecture. With such a open player driven game like CoE I think we can do better than a mere 4 walls to make a room.

I'm extremely curious what we will have to start at Expo. The MADE architecture guild will have at least one dedicated person to architectural research for this reason. While it will not be only them, they will be the one in the guild to help push the envelope and coordinate with the other guilds and academies on the NA-E server. I believe it's been said we won't start with circular stairs, as they will need to be researched.

One of my concerns is everybody wanting to own their plot of land and being to sprawled, which has its perks in farmland areas. But it will be the Counts and Mayors that help control the zoning in their areas.

3/28/2017 5:58:33 PM #12

My best guess is this...

A lot of the common architectural differences require distinct models, not just distinct textures. A 'Nordic style roof' is very different from a 'Japanese style roof.' They are a different shape...that means a different in-game model, which means it's a different "part" in the Architecture Tool.

So, it's entirely possible that an Architect will start off with knowledge only of the models used by her tribe. So if you have an Architect from a 'Middle East' inspired tribe, you'll probably start off with flat roofs that are designed to be accessible.

Over time, your character may learn of new architectural styles, and add those to her repertoire of models that she can use as part of her blueprints.

So, to put it in plainer terms...when you start the game, the Architecture Tool only gives you access to shapes of wall/ceiling/window/etc that are used by your character's culture. Over time, by study and by travel, you can unlock more options to use.

And this may apply to more complex designs as well. After all, an apprentice medieval architect wouldn't be designing grand cathedrals with flying buttresses. They'd be designing small houses. Maybe a shop.

The result of this...is that structures would tend to continue to resemble those of the tribe that lives there, because they are made of the same parts. (If you only know how to make oriental-style roofs, your designs are all going to have them).

This could diversify over time, but it would take an effort on the part of the architects designing the town's structures in order to do so.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/28/2017 7:06:45 PM #13

for my county the only main rule I plan to have for my HOA is no "junkyard" exteriors. Especially in my main city/town. If its out on a farm in the middle of nowhere this rule could be more relaxed. To me nothing ruins my gaming experience in an mmo with non instanced housing then coming upon a player house that is cluttered with random stuff all over the plot of land. No building towers out dressers or writing words on the ground using loaves of bread. etc

other than that I have I general idea of what style I would like to get the main public buildings to look like and any plots that i personally own. outside of that people in my county/town can have any style building they want.

3/28/2017 7:15:26 PM #14

Posted By Captain Alvord at 3:06 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

for my county the only main rule I plan to have for my HOA is no "junkyard" exteriors. Especially in my main city/town. If its out on a farm in the middle of nowhere this rule could be more relaxed. To me nothing ruins my gaming experience in an mmo with non instanced housing then coming upon a player house that is cluttered with random stuff all over the plot of land. No building towers out dressers or writing words on the ground using loaves of bread. etc

other than that I have I general idea of what style I would like to get the main public buildings to look like and any plots that i personally own. outside of that people in my county/town can have any style building they want.

Well, leaving piles of junk lying around outside of your nice locked house seems like a good way to get all that junk stolen and sold for scrap. So that's probably going to help your cause :)

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.