COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Token Contest

OK I was wondering with the token system is it a paid service to better your in game character or guilds?

5/19/2017 8:58:18 PM #1

Essentially yeah. It is yet unknown the exact effect it will have though.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/19/2017 9:44:07 PM #2

Ok thank you for the reply. Hopefully won't effect it to much. Been really looking into this game, and just hope it doesn't turn into another Pay to Win.

5/19/2017 9:47:38 PM #3

It doesn't really make either better, just bigger. And bigger could be better, but that's not always the case. Sure, it can be cool to be Wallmart or you can be that local high-quality shop that people makes people drive 50 miles to buy from you.

Brash

5/19/2017 9:54:20 PM #4

Posted By Terrantal at 5:47 PM - Fri May 19 2017

It doesn't really make either better, just bigger. And bigger could be better, but that's not always the case. Sure, it can be cool to be Wallmart or you can be that local high-quality shop that people makes people drive 50 miles to buy from you.

Considering they can also give research, the "local high quality shop" would probably need some tokens as well.

There is also nothing stopping a bigger settlement from pursuing quality either. They will even have more resources to do it.

So I wouldn't say tokens "don't really make a town better", cause they really do. It's just a question of HOW MUCH better.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/19/2017 10:19:28 PM #5

Posted By belgerion at 5:44 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Ok thank you for the reply. Hopefully won't effect it to much. Been really looking into this game, and just hope it doesn't turn into another Pay to Win.

it's more a Pay to build, and hearing only 5% of the community will take advantage of this option.

5/20/2017 12:47:48 AM #6

Posted By Iccubus at 6:19 PM - Fri May 19 2017

it's more a Pay to build, and hearing only 5% of the community will take advantage of this option.

That doesn't really answer his concerns.

5/20/2017 1:40:43 AM #7

The token system to me is simply a way for others that want to settle within your settlement is help you. If you are a mayor+ and want to setup your town better. You just buy EP and do just that.

If the token system is better than buying straight EP, for improving a town, well that be so broken in my opinion.

5/20/2017 1:55:49 AM #8

Posted By Iccubus at 3:19 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Posted By belgerion at 5:44 PM - Fri May 19 2017

In addition these advtanages are others advatanges as well from the whole teaching perspective if someone gets an awesome research but doesnt teach anyone or theyre really good at making whatever and dont teach anyone their next life is going to be hard. Teaching people stuff results in freindliness 9/10 and freindliness usually inclines people to work with you and help you. the game is Pay to Build. The pay to build aspect is only for 5% of the community becuase these 5% are the ones who are building the world everyone else gets to play in. they can be removed from their positions of power just as easily as they built theyre position of power. The P2B aspect is to make the game alive for others. (did i mention everything we build can be taken away)

5/20/2017 7:49:48 AM #9

Another thing to note is that the Engine, or perhaps the developers themselves, will probably balance this properly.

I can almost imagine it:

Developers: lets see... here we have a town with x000 tokens. Incredible. Lets put a lich here, another there, a contagious disease and (...)

Something like that.

Edit: As Degs note later, this information is baseless theory craft of mine influenced by my wishful thinking and expectations. I will keep that in check to not spread misinformation. I think that perhaps i read something that suggest this development but i can't find it...

5/20/2017 8:36:31 AM #10

Posted By belgerion at

OK I was wondering with the token system is it a paid service to better your in game character or guilds?

No.

Easily misinterpreted it seems. Primarily, villager tokens add an extra NPC population to a settlement and every few, a plot to house more buildings. In short it just reflects the settlement will be a little bigger and caters for players by extending it. Certainly not gamebreaking, pay to win or anything of the sort. Larger settlements may provide some benefit to ALL the occupants if through nothing more than greater population and security, or customers. All players may migrate and settlement future fortunes are not pre determined.

Guilds are entirely independant of settlements and open to anyone regardless of rank. Though you may set up a guild, you the players, or guild members may all be set to benefit. Rather than independance for example you may form a guild - lets say blacksmiths. You focus on sword sharpness research in unison whenever crafting. The experimentation has risks and takes time. If one of the guild members makes a discovery it may be provided exclusively to them (For a time - before others begin to discover the tecniques). Though sharing research and fortunes in that manner increases your chances, by no means does it ensure you'll remain ahead of the game. It's like joining a lottery syndicate.

I've seen the term "pay to win" banded about all over the place but unfortunately it's always people who misunderstand things and have no clue what they are talking about.

Elyria is definately not pay to win. If you see any claim of it being pay to win, get details then look into the facts. Invariably you'll find the claims are misunderstood and the the source is an idiot.

The only respect it really applies to is that when we pay, we're helping to fund it's development and make it the game we all dream of. In that sense alone, we are paying and all winning.

5/20/2017 9:38:08 AM #11

Straw-Men abound.

He, and nobody else on this thread, ever said it IS Pay 2 Win, he expressed a hope that it wouldn't BECOME Pay 2 Win (in a later reply), which is completely logical.

What the question was: Is it a paid service to better your town or guild?

The answer is yes. There are no "Ifs" or "Buts" to be had. You can sugar coat and candy your answer in whatever flavor you want, but you can't get around it.

That answer may be uncomfortable to give, but it is true. Bigger Settlements are objectively better. In no way is a Smaller Settlement better, except just being daintier and a tad less bit demanding to manage. The only topic for debate here is how big the difference is. I personally don't think it will be a HUGE difference or gamebreaking at all, but if you shuffle around the topic at hand here, it makes the community look rather dishonest with itself.

It is much better to be 100% honest when discussing matters like these.

5/20/2017 10:00:05 AM #12

What the question was: Is it a paid service to better your town or guild? The answer is yes. There are no "Ifs" or "Buts" to be had. You can sugar coat and candy your answer in whatever flavor you want, but you can't get around it.

This. People are so ready to shout this is not P2W that they miss point when asked if some services will make stuff better, without even implying P2W x)

is it a paid service

Last time I saw tokens were not free, and there was no other way to get them but spend money - so it's a paid service.

better your in game character or guilds?

Characters - no. Settlement and/or Guild - yes

You increase in reputation & fame, population, research points (guilds) and expansion.

If these are not the things that make settlement/guild better then I don't know what is.

5/20/2017 11:49:23 AM #13

Posted By Apaukolypse at 04:38 AM - Sat May 20 2017

That answer may be uncomfortable to give, but it is true. Bigger Settlements are objectively better. In no way is a Smaller Settlement better, except just being daintier and a tad less bit demanding to manage.

I share your concerns, but I don't necessarily agree that bigger is always better. For example, the city of Detroit has about 60x the population of my own city, and a much larger geographical area too. But gross mismanagement of the larger city makes me glad that I don't live there.

Healdwald

5/20/2017 2:27:44 PM #14

Posted By Iosef at 07:49 AM - Sat May 20 2017

Posted By Apaukolypse at 04:38 AM - Sat May 20 2017

That answer may be uncomfortable to give, but it is true. Bigger Settlements are objectively better. In no way is a Smaller Settlement better, except just being daintier and a tad less bit demanding to manage.

I share your concerns, but I don't necessarily agree that bigger is always better. For example, the city of Detroit has about 60x the population of my own city, and a much larger geographical area too. But gross mismanagement of the larger city makes me glad that I don't live there.

Name one way where having a smaller town, with less labor, resources, and land is better. You may have to do a tad bit more management sure, but it's not comparable to the extra management you would have to do if you own multiple titles, which alot of people do own. You can also delegate out responsibilities to others, so.

5/20/2017 2:37:30 PM #15

Posted By Hludowig at 03:49 AM - Sat May 20 2017

Another thing to note is that the Engine, or perhaps the developers themselves, will probably balance this properly.

I can almost imagine it:

Developers: lets see... here we have a town with x000 tokens. Incredible. Lets put a lich here, another there, a contagious disease and (...)

Something like that.

This is based on what?