COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Character names

I have some questions about names.

1. Are different tribes going to have different ways of forming names? For example, might one tribe have the usual (for an mmorpg) first name and last name whilst another has only a single name? Maybe in another tribe individuals only are given names when they choose a profession and they are known by that profession name. Maybe it's illegal for anyone but nobility in one tribe to be called "Bob." Maybe another tribe has secret names within the tribe but outside the tribe every member is known by only a single name. There are obviously a gazillion different possible naming styles and it would add to the flavor of society to have social naming restrictions.
  2. Are there going to be lists of tribe appropriate names to choose from when we generate characters so we have to choose names appropriate for our tribes?
  3. Are there going to be Luke Skywalker, Darth Gaydar and Moonblossom Starflower Beautyheart running around the world?

6/25/2017 6:39:08 PM #1

There will be naming conventions and restrictions when it comes to naming both characters and places to prevent names that don't fit into the world or are just plain offensive. Custom surnames will only exist for those who have purchased a pledge package at Bloodline or above, all other surnames will be pre-existing according to the developers.

You will definitely see a difference in naming conventions across tribes as representation of their varying cultures, but as far as I know, every character will have a first name and a surname.

When it comes to our custom surnames, they will have to be pre-approved by the developers to prevent exactly what you are asking about. Those 'funny' names won't make it into the game.

6/25/2017 6:42:50 PM #2

1; All tribes have last names (bloodlines), as implied by the bloodline backer reward.

I don't know about any "comeing of age" ritual for naming members, but players always get to pick their first name.

There are no name plates in the game (until you are told their name, i think). Whatever someone tells you their name is, is what you will recognize them as. So yes, a player run town might have every member give the same name when outsiders ask.

2; No, you can give yourself whatever first name you want, but your last name is locked. The developers will be giving naming guides for each tribe, if I remember the Q&A correctly.

3; Of the player designed Surnames, the developers will be watching carefully to prevent certain last names.

Once more, you can pick whatever first name you want, but again, nobody can see your name unless you tell them. So don't expect to have your immersion broken so easily by player names.

Edit: Auto-formatting fix.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/25/2017 7:59:04 PM #3

I did wonder a bit about The Waerd, since the idea of dividing themselves by family name doesn't really seem to "fit" with what we know about their lore and culture... although, having one tribe that doesn't follow the same "given name, family name" structure as the rest of the tribes doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and might feel shitty for people who were supposed to have custom surnames with their pledge. In the end, I think that each tribe will have its own flair with regards to surnames, but that all characters will follow the same general naming structure of having part of their name represent them personally, and part of their name represent their family lineage. Perhaps some tribes may even follow the Spanish naming custom of having both patrilineal and matrilineal family names. I think that could be quite interesting and add to the prestige of having a "pure" pedigree.

7/2/2017 10:42:30 AM #4

I was hoping that naming conventions would be included as a part of the tribe write-ups. Definitely hoping to see them in game as part of language and culture diversity.

7/2/2017 12:56:26 PM #5

The naming convention for me is a tad confusing as well. As I understand it, the Devs will approve or disapprove all names for the characters to keep with the game immersion. So does this mean that our last name 'must' meet with the tribal language design, so not Kypic named Johnson or Smith? And I don't know what you mean by 'locked', with the Bloodline package or higher I thought you could design a custom sir name whether you are a PC or NTC. For me trying to chat with a player with a unique or longer name was always a pain so on the one hand I hope the names follow the tribal language somewhat and on the other I would hate to try to type the name of a unique name every time (I guess what is where the out of game communication clients come into play).

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the