COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Crafting impact on the world

In the latest Q&A @Snipehunter briefly mentioned ‘tags’ which is system he designed for another ‘multiplayer evolving online world’ game that I pray may happen one day 😉.

For that game, tags would allow for, amongst other things, conveying of the knowledge of the things a player does to the world. To have the world be able to recognise and react to a player had/has great potential. I was excited for how this was going to work as it could lead to npc’s (i.e. the world) knowing about and reacting to and dealing appropriately with a player, be they a crafter, fighter, designer, author, successful or dangerous etc.

Take the case of scribing and making books. If tags allow the world to recognise and react to a player whose book is popular and selling well then more npc’s would interact with you and want to sell your book and request copies be made. It could also allow the greater value (and potentially the power of its contents, say in the case of a book on magic) be put on a 1st edition or original manuscript whilst putting a lesser value/power on later editions/copies.

Similarly with all the other crafts, the world would know who made an item, who made it first, makes it best etc. (makers marks!).

Is such a system possible to be incorporated into CoE or does it already exist in a different form?

10/22/2017 5:10:27 PM #1

I believe it's been discussed before. I for one am a huge fan of the idea. In any sort of fantasy, there's always legendary characters. Most are the great heroes who save the day, but quite a few are also smiths who forge legendary weapons of untold power. Putting a tag on our wares will greatly help crafters to gather renown, and advertise their product. If someone makes an exceptional quality piece of armor, that smith should stand out of the crowd from all others and be recognized for it.

10/22/2017 5:26:38 PM #2

"The point I'm trying to make is that virtually everything you do in CoE to 'get ahead' comes at the cost of someone else. You want to build a nice settlement with your friends? Excellent! But the resources you're collecting to do so is resources others won't have available. And if your settlement starts to grow in reputation, it could even draw PCs and NPCs from neighboring settlements to yours, lowering their income and reducing their wealth." - Caspian

found on: https://www.chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17121/tell-me-how-this-will-not-become-a-pve-game#post178004

10/22/2017 7:28:31 PM #3

This will work with cartography as well, which is one of the reasons I'm so excited about it. From Dev Journal 10 about maps, cartography, and navigation:

"When creating a map, the cartographer has the ability to select regions that he/she has identified on the map and give those regions a name...Why is this such a powerful feature? Because the Soulborn Engine keeps track of all the names given to a town, village, watershed, lake, Kingdom, etc... And whichever name appears most frequently on maps for that landmark, that's the name that it will be referred to by NPCs and by recent in-game lore."

So if you discover a new lake and call it Nighty Lake on your map, and others start calling it Nighty Lake on their maps, you will start to overhear NPCs say things like "I hear the fishing down at Nighty Lake is pretty good," and you did that!

10/23/2017 1:48:28 PM #4

As you know, Snipehunter was a dev working on Revival before its demise. I pledged and followed it til the end. They had quite an extensive tag system for the game and I hope Snipe can use some of this knowledge in COE. :)

10/23/2017 10:10:21 PM #5

Posted By YHess at 10:26 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

"The point I'm trying to make is that virtually everything you do in CoE to 'get ahead' comes at the cost of someone else. You want to build a nice settlement with your friends? Excellent! But the resources you're collecting to do so is resources others won't have available. And if your settlement starts to grow in reputation, it could even draw PCs and NPCs from neighboring settlements to yours, lowering their income and reducing their wealth." - Caspian

found on: https://www.chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17121/tell-me-how-this-will-not-become-a-pve-game#post178004

Yes, this is the often overlooked aspect of this game. At every level, it is competition and conflict. Early on in this game, it will be very local/regional. It is a survival game in all aspects.

You can't get complacent.

We know about stitching in clothing making and with that we should be able to brand our clothing. Hopefully there will be some aspect of that in every single kind of crafting so crafters can earn renown from their crafting.

10/24/2017 12:16:08 AM #6

Posted By Nighty at

Is such a system possible to be incorporated into CoE or does it already exist in a different form?

There is a storytelling engine that is a core component of the Soulborn engine that Caspian has built for CoE. It's not the same approach that the tags in that other Multiplayer Evolving Online World used, but it can and does a lot of the same thing. NPCs have opinions and the world's denizens have an awareness of what has happened in the world, for example. So the answer to your last question is that something definitely exists in a different form to handle this need already.

That being said, one of my favorite mantras is "the design answer is both" and I think that one applies here. I think there's room to expand and enhance our storytelling capabilities using what was learned on my last big project. That was the "you've got your chocolate in my peanut butter" moment I was talking about in the Q&A, in fact. :)

• Snipehunter
10/24/2017 1:21:45 PM #7

I like the overall idea of this.

I plan on running a Luthier Shop (assuming that is a possiblility), and I love the idea of NPC's recognizing my work (if it becomes famous):

"Oh, you have a V'ralt! Those are amazing!"

Imgur