COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Chronicles Of Elyria: Pay To Be

I've had concerns with the business model from the start...

First of all having to pay 25$ or something around there is insane, because its just common knowledge that people in video games die a lot! Video games are supposed to last years and be cherished, but if your constantly thinking "will my parents pay for my next spark incase someone could dey Bray's me?" Or "Is it really worth it having to pay over and over just to always be perma-deathed by 9-year olds who have no sense of chivalry". And no, I'm not saying put an age limit, I'm saying change the business model slightly to support the fact that could dey Bray is going to become the standard action after death, to absolutely make sure that a kingdom is decimated, destroy all of its members permanently.

I do understand this may impact the financial income, so if you change the business model to either cheaper sparks, then you can raise up the starting package price with the promise of " only a 15.99" fee per spark, etc. I know it sounds bad, but wouldnt it be better to mae a game where people don't have to worry about scrounging up cash to pay and continue playing, and instead focus on the game itself? I'm not saying total demolition of a payperspark system, just a cheaper one. I'm estimating 35% of the population globally in COE won't pay for their next spark, meaning that 35% of the population might just.... Cease to exist once the "First Generation" of men and women die.

Essentially: Lower cost of sparks BUT raise price of pledge to COVER cost (many people haven't purchased a pledge until it nears release) will increase the chance of more users wanting to pay to get a second life which in turn assures an good possibility of a third life etc.

Secondly, I fear its turning into Pay To Win... Why are you letting people buy in-game items using cash before release, and will the mounts provide a better start for them? If that horsemlets them travel faster, you've become pay to win.

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

1/15/2018 8:54:53 AM #1

Where did you get your 35% from ? 25 $ for a 1year4 month of gameplay thats 1.5$ per month how is it too much ? Its not going to be a pay to win, people can buy object that can be acquired pretty easily on the game ! None of them will have unique stats.

You want them to lower the price of Spark but raise the price of the pledge, so people that buy pledge will pay because you cant afford 50c a month ?

I think you're not impartial and i think their business model is fine.

I've always been told that if i cant afford something that i really want i need to work for it.

1/15/2018 9:01:57 AM #2

Posted By VanHarsen at 12:54 AM - Mon Jan 15 2018

Where did you get your 35% from ? 25 $ for a 1year4 month of gameplay thats 1.5$ per month how is it too much ? Its not going to be a pay to win, people can buy object that can be acquired pretty easily on the game ! None of them will have unique stats.

You want them to lower the price of Spark but raise the price of the pledge, so people that buy pledge will pay because you cant afford 50c a month ?

I've always been told that if i cant afford something that i really want i need to work for it.

Woah wait 1 year 4 months? I thought you died at 9 months.... Wow that changes everything lol now I feel embarrassed.

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

1/15/2018 9:41:00 AM #3

business model is fine according to me, and i'd like to say thanks to the devs for what they're doing, I really hope to be able to play it asap since I am waiting for a heart transplant, so i really hope to reach 2019 in order to play this gem :P

1/15/2018 10:04:50 AM #4

You won't necessarily lose your spark when you die. Unless you're a king or high noble, you mostly get some downtime and the maximum length of the spark life is shortened. So, if you group up with people who are good at protecting each other, and you are too, you should not be getting ganked every time you're in the wild.

The other thing you can do is pick a safer occupation where you don't end up in dangerous situations that much, like a crafter or farmer. That might not be as boring as it sounds.

1/15/2018 11:08:27 AM #5

Posted By VanHarsen at 12:54 AM - Mon Jan 15 2018

Both of you are off. It's 52 weeks (1 year). Please read the following: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/10316/Down-the-rabbit-hole.

Obviously if you die or get caught committing a ton of crimes your character's lifetime will be less.... but to think of it in terms of other MMOs.... you'd have to reduce your character's lifespan down to about 2 IRL months in order to be of comparable price to subscription MMOs. The average non-famous person (and therefore doesn't have the higher death multiplier) would have to die more than 152 times in just 2 months of play for that to be the case. Also, that 152 is a minimum, because if you die within a short time of your previous death you don't lose any spirit. SBS is considering having the cap be one Elyrian day (2.8 IRL hours) before you can get spirit loss again... Most people aren't going to be playing more than 5.6 IRL hours a day. So let's say you do get spirit loss twice an IRL day. In 2 months, that's 122 spirit losses, which is not enough (needed 152) to cost more than a typical subscription MMO. This calculation all goes out the window, though, if you wish to commit massive amounts of crime; as there is no cap on spirit loss for getting caught committing crimes.

Edit: If you're wondering where I got 152 deaths in 2 months.... I used a cost of $30 a spark and $15 for monthly subscription cost. So 2 months to equal that $30. Obviously these aren't exact values as not all MMOs charge the same and the cost of a spark isn't set in stone yet, but both numbers are close enough for analysis. Take 365 days in a year, subtract the 61 days (2 months) and then divide by 2 (2 days of spirit loss per death).

1/15/2018 11:56:26 AM #6

I would hope you are just confused OP. In thinking every death was perma death. Since as Protey pointed out you would be getting at least 2 months. Even if you become some criminal. Unless you just utterly suck at that role.

Honestly this is looking to be the cheapest game to play, out of MMOs that cost money.

No idea where you are getting your figures from though VanHarsen, the max lifetime was changed awhile back. Besides even thinking most people would live their maximum life is something else.

1/15/2018 1:48:08 PM #7

1.) The game is less expensive than most sub games to play.

2.) in most cases, unless you refuse to work with anyone. You will likely get access to the mounts you so want. People that need some one to be what ever, if their people need to have a purebred horse to be good at their job they chose to work, it will surely be provided.

Remember people with a ton of money, need a an efficient workforce. If they need a new worker they will outfit the worker to get the job done efficiently. Mayors, and up will need people to do various tasks. They will not be like you, do this job, also you have to find away to travel the world that isn't walking on your own...

1/15/2018 2:52:50 PM #8

The OP seems to be under the impression that as soon as you die once you have to buy a new spark of life which isn't the case whatsoever. You get 1 year of full gameplay for $25 if you do not die at all, but if you do die you only lose a small amount of that time, you can die many multiples of times before your spark comes anywhere close to running out and even when you do die there is a time limit of about 2 and a half hours whereby if you were to die again you do not lose any of your spark.

1/15/2018 3:34:50 PM #9

As far as pay to win goes, There will be no cash shop after launch so there is no fear.

Yippee ki-yay