COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Using Poison

May it be possible to poison Food or water in town?

Can i get catched for this if nobody see me poison it?

Can I feed animals in forest with poison...so after they get hunted... the meat gives sickness to Player?

C-eye

1/15/2018 9:55:17 PM #1

Yes, you can poison a well in a town. If nobody sees you do it, you won't immediately be guilty of a crime. However, players may be able to use detective skills to uncover evidence of your guilt. We're unsure if poison carries over.

1/15/2018 10:26:56 PM #2

Essentially, when you do something illegal, or perform certain acts considered hostile, you'll leave behind evidence of doing so. How easy that evidence is to find depends on your skills, the nature of the act, and a few other factors. It's still up to someone to investigate the area and see if they can find that evidence using investigation and then use that evidence to come to the proper conclusions before you could be suspected of being involved, though.

But, essentially: Yes, if you do something nefarious, it's possible you could be identified even with no witnesses there at that moment. But we're talking about an essentially medieval world here, so a lack of witnesses will still definitely play to your advantage. A particularly good provocateur will be one that is subtle, meticulous, and, above all, unseen.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
1/15/2018 11:20:21 PM #3

I just hope that it will be possible to to planned things without getting catched...

Maybe there should be 2 things!!

1. the Investigation skill Need to be higher or even like nefarious skill.

2. there should be a timer... so just during this time the evil can be hunted.... maybe higher countdown for higher crimes!

So evil Player Need informations like: - can i hide Long enought. - can i survive will flee - Is any good guy with high evidence skill nearby

GIVE EVIL PLAYER A CHANCE

C-eye

1/15/2018 11:26:07 PM #4

Posted By SolidQ at 5:20 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

Wasn't that a John Lennon song? ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE EVIL PLAYERS A CHANCE.

1/16/2018 12:08:13 AM #5

Posted By Hieronymus at 6:26 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

Posted By SolidQ at 5:20 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

Wasn't that a John Lennon song? ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE EVIL PLAYERS A CHANCE.

"Give peas a chance." He was trying to get Julian to eat his vegetables.

But the idea of poisoning a well, yeah, that would be an interesting challenge on both sides. Those who live would surely be asked to about any visitors - so the criminal wouldn't want something that acts that quickly - but still quickly enough that they can get credit. What's the Elyrian answer to polonium?

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
1/16/2018 12:10:57 AM #6

Posted By SolidQ at 3:20 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

It definitely won't be easy to determine who a criminal was from only the evidence left behind. I'm just saying it will be possible. Do-Evilers are going to have to work for it, just like Do-Gooders.

I can't speak for everyone, but I, for one, believe that a functional society requires a robust criminal underworld. ;)

• Snipehunter
1/16/2018 7:12:40 PM #7

So will they leave behind footprints or a track you can follow, similar to what a Hunter would follow when tracking a wild beast?

test

1/16/2018 10:21:09 PM #8

Posted By john lionheart at 11:12 AM - Tue Jan 16 2018

So will they leave behind footprints or a track you can follow, similar to what a Hunter would follow when tracking a wild beast?

That is one way you might leave behind evidence, but the sort of evidence left behind comes from a pool of potentials that goes beyond footprints, too. It won't always be a golden trail. you might end up having to follow a different sort of trail of breadcrumbs as an investigator. It's contextually dependent on the type of crime, the ability of the criminal to hide their tracks, and other such markers.

You could find yourself with no info other than the type of poison being used, for example, and might have to track down who could make such a poison and run it down from there. Hunting and investigating differ in that sense, though there should be some amount of mechanical crossover when it comes to things like blood trails, footprints, reading signs of a struggle, and a few other such areas. We haven't finalized the entirety of the investigation mechanics yet though, so I don't want to say too much here yet.

• Snipehunter
1/16/2018 10:26:55 PM #9

I'm so excited for the investigation gameplay..I'm hoping it really works out. I've been wondering how the evidence would work vs disguises..If the evidence points towards the disguise then if it's discard the disguise then points to the owner...

It will be cool to see if the type of poison that is used has a certain tell like the victim has blue hands, blood shot eyes, etc..

1/16/2018 10:51:34 PM #10

Posted By SolidQ at 6:20 PM - Mon Jan 15 2018

I just hope that it will be possible to to planned things without getting catched...

Maybe there should be 2 things!!

1. the Investigation skill Need to be higher or even like nefarious skill.

2. there should be a timer... so just during this time the evil can be hunted.... maybe higher countdown for higher crimes!

So evil Player Need informations like: - can i hide Long enought. - can i survive will flee - Is any good guy with high evidence skill nearby

I think that time til someone Investigates could be an issue as to you being found out. Now as to a Statute of limitations on crimes I DOUBT you will have such an escape gimmick in the game.

Now if you poison a well and a few people got sick its less likely people relentlessly hunt you down. Perhaps only if someone in the town you made ill would care after everyone was well.

On the other hand if you poison such a well and actually KILL people that is NOT ever going to go away. The local Mayor, Baron, count or Duke may post an open bounty on you. These same people could hire bounty hunters to search for you. If you are in another Kingdom and in public display someone might hire an assassin.

Using poison in warfare is unsavory enough. However, using it on non combatants is worthy of having a lifelong open bounty placed on your head. I know as a Mayor I would happily collect the funds to keep such a poisoner looking over their shoulder all the time.

So can you poison people, most likely yes. Will you eventually have someone figure out you did it. Depends on your skill and persistence. Will you ever be free of the possibility of spending your gaming life on the run? I doubt that you would ever be able to be able to relax in game if an investigator finds the right clues.

So if that sounds like fun then more power to you.

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

1/16/2018 11:35:15 PM #11

Posted By SolidQ at

May it be possible to poison Food or water in town?

Can i get catched for this if nobody see me poison it?

Can I feed animals in forest with poison...so after they get hunted... the meat gives sickness to Player?

If you think about it you have a lot of tools to get away with stuff...Instead of poisoning the well yourself, why not travel to the near by town(under a false identity) and learn the schedule of someone who lives there, disguise yourself as that person and head to the targeted town you want to poison, make sure people see that you were in the town as the other person, poison the well under a false disguise.

The only thing out of place and that the npcs can tell the detective is "the guy from the other town was here and we got sick."...You should have time to get away before anyone could get on your truth scent..On top of that you could have a friend be a doctor that could make an antidote for the people(he really had it the whole time) but that could be risky.

CoE wants you to be a smart criminal and not just let everything easily be evil..Plus, how good would it feel to get away with something that planned out..On the opposite, it would be just as fun for someone like me who is going to be a detective. It's a win/win.

1/17/2018 1:45:29 PM #12

Mechanically, I do not think that poisoning a well will be as simple as dropping a draught of poison into it and walking away. At least, I hope it isn't. Filling the well with rotten meat, or barrels of a distilled concoction, however, should be viable. But that will also increase the likelihood of you being spotted and/or be leaving evidence in your wake. I think that the investigation skills should have modifiers that include things like weather (rain/snow) or foot traffic when looking for footprints. Identifiable makings of the containers used, etc... But to answer the OP. Yes you Can, and yes you can be caught, and yes you can be killed for doing so if within the limits of the laws governing the lands, or someones personal code of ethics i.e. eye for an eye sort of thing...

1/18/2018 1:28:27 AM #13

It sounds cool from a gameplay immersive standpoint but it seems like that would in a practical sense useless. Like stick with me for a second. Imagine someone committing a crime and leaving for some other town and your over here tryna figure out: (using snipes poison example)

• What poision

• who makes it

• who they sell it to

• which buyer is it

• where are they

Imagine how much ground and time for disguise changes the criminal would have. It only seems practical if the criminal is repeatedly committing crime and in the same town/area for long periods. If you have hit and run criminals, the described system seems useless.

point being, The more "sherlock-esque" you make the criminal justice system, the less practical value it has in the game world.

I don't know anymore.

1/18/2018 1:40:57 AM #14

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 5:28 PM - Wed Jan 17 2018

It sounds cool from a gameplay immersive standpoint but it seems like that would in a practical sense useless. Like stick with me for a second. Imagine someone committing a crime and leaving for some other town and your over here tryna figure out:

(using snipes poison example) - What poision - who makes it - who they sell it to - which buyer is it - where are they

Imagine how much ground and time for disguise changes the criminal would have. It only seems practical if the criminal is repeatedly committing crime and in the same town/area for long periods. If you have hit and run criminals, the described system seems useless.

I'd imagine that for most folks, the legwork required to track something like that down isn't worth their time, but in most cases that won't really be the scenario, either. The more work required to pull off the crime, the more evidence you'll leave behind, making the "trail" back to you shorter. And, as you folks are thinking, something like poisoning a well is definitely going to take more work than just dropping a small vial of poison in.

That said, some crimes really will be "effectively perfect" in the sense that only a relentless agent of justice would find the criminal and only then after a mountain of work. Most of those crimes will probably be petty, all that extra effort going to finding and interpreting some tiny piece of evidence, but a few of them will be downright diabolical. We want criminals and agents of the law to work for it, after all.

• Snipehunter
1/18/2018 1:18:41 PM #15

if anyone is in the EU sever, please hit me up on discord at some point closer to the game release, i'd be happy to supply anything a law breaker might want, poisons especially.

Scarlet#1016 is my discord name.