19 September

More on the north...

By Caspian

Hey All,

Welcome to the weekly update for the week of September 12th! This week's update comes with some nice new screenshots, a concept art mood piece, website updates, and some design talk on the Tribes of Mann. Let's not delay, let's jump right into the roll call.

Website v2.1

The first major announcement is that earlier today we released v2.1 of the website. This version comes with a ton of new features and changes. Let me use this opportunity to touch on some of them briefly.

• Private Messages - Private messaging has been re-enabled. You can access your mailbox by clicking on the envelope next to your name in the top-right corner of the screen. Feel free to send messages to your forum-mates.

Caspian needs to check his messages
Figure 1 - Caspian needs to check his messages

• New Fonts - We were previously licensing fonts from an online font service. However, the font service would periodically get bogged down and it was sometimes taking on the order of 10-20 seconds for pages to load waiting for the font server. Now we're no longer dependent on an external font server and things should load much more quickly.

• Unified CSS - ZRO has been working hard to remove all the inline style elements and other bad practices us programmers had thrown into the v1 and v2 version of the site before he got here. The end result is even faster load times, and most importantly, the ability to easily make changes for future improvements

• Fast Access to Forum Topics & Posts - In the Recent Posts section of the forums it's now possible to click the Topic Name to go right to the OP, or the time stamp to go to the most recent post.

• Advanced Moderator Tools - We've added more advanced mod tools to enable the mods to bulk delete, restore, and move topics from one forum to another. This'll greatly help with moderation and keeping the forums clean.

At last, the mods have the bulk tools they need to keep the forums clean
Figure 2 - At last, the mods have the bulk tools they need to keep the forums clean

• Tons of small bug fixes
  • Even better mobile support - including adding search functionality

Concept

While the design and concept team continue to work together on concepts of new creatures and the Tribes of Mann, Heat took a break to create a mood piece to show you a bit more of the Pteroguin, it's relative size, and its feeding habits. If this concept doesn't set the mood effectively, we don't know what will.

The Pteroguin in his natural environment
Figure 3 - The Pteroguin in his natural environment

Environment

Over the last several weeks our environment artist, Raevantiel, has been working on the playable areas of the Prologue. The Prologue, which currently has a playable region of roughly 8 km x 12 km, includes forests, plains, a river, lakes, and mountains. Scattered throughout are small hamlets, animal dens, a few forgotten ruins, and of course, the village of Silver Run and the town of New Haven.

While the southern regions of Titan's Steppe borders an actual Steppe, the majority of Titan's Steppe lies in the Taiga/Boreal Forest biome, with Alpine Tundra and Tundra along the northern region.

Below are some Work-In-Progress screenshots of some of the areas of Titan's Steppe that have never been seen before. We hope you enjoy!

The plains of Titan
Figure 4 - The plains of Titan's Steppe

From the edge of the forest
Figure 5 - From the edge of the forest

There
Figure 6 - There's no skyboxes in CoE. If you can reach the mountains, you can climb them

Design

As with last week, I'm unable to reveal much of what we've been working on lately, however, I can tell you we continue to work on defining more details of the different Tribes of Mann. While I can't say much now, I can say that the first one we've been working on we call the Joru Tribe, pronounced Yor-oo. Members of the tribe are referred to as Joran (Yor-uhn).

If you sense a bit of a Nordic flare to the name, you're not wrong. As the design currently stands, the Joru are a northern tribe, accustomed to the harsh winters of the Tundra and Taiga.

Rumor has it, even the Bearded King Thandrus may have some Joru blood in him.

Well, that's all I can say for now. More details on the Joru and the other Tribes of Mann as we get enough locked in we feel comfortable sharing it with you.

One final note, someone in IRC earlier asked where we draw our inspiration for the Tribes of Mann. We responded with a combination of things including:

1. The adaptations of animals/creatures within a biome
  2. Real-world people and cultures for a biome
  3. Mythology

Look for those in equal measure within most of the Tribes.

Conclusion

That's all for this week folks, but stay tuned. We have the launch of the Online Store in just two weeks! Once the store launches, you'll have an opportunity to back the game if you haven't already, or even upgrade your pledge if you did!

And as always, we'll continue to add more features and functionality to the website. Initially, the features will be focused on us providing you more content, but with the v3 of the website coming later this year, we'll transition to focusing on player-created content.

cary787 - 2 years ago

Wow. This game will be great.

AeonWulf - 2 years ago

The North remembers

AeonWulf - 2 years ago

so awesome!!

jwolf55x - 2 years ago

im loving this more and more...!

HammerStrike - 2 years ago

Niiiiiice.

Ahaek2 - 2 years ago

Can´t wait -.-!

Alpha_Omega - 2 years ago

Those landscapes look amazing!

HotOdinSauce - 2 years ago

Oh the Viking life for me!

Communicator - 2 years ago

I'm REALLY digging this.

Draguta - 2 years ago

Will there be an Aztec-ish tribe of Mann? I love the Aztecs, their culture was absolutely beautiful, and I feel that they are under-appreciated in history.

Decifith - 2 years ago
@Draguta:

You can create the Aztech-ish tribe of Mann :)

Plume - 2 years ago
@Draguta:

You mean the beautiful rite of human sacrifice with the heart and all ? How great.

Draguta - 2 years ago
@Plume:

Posted By Plume at 3:58 PM - Thu Sep 22 2016

No, I meant the beautiful art, how they cherished their children, and their diverse (if bloodthirsty) deities. The human sacrifice (and consumption thereof) was just a bonus, in my mind.

Roarken - 2 years ago
@Plume:

wonder how human sacrifice will work... I assume it's an option. Perhaps a player's child or other NPC will have to be the sacrifice, or players could be sacrificed too I suppose, since they'll come back to life, they could in theory be a renewable resource!

@Roarken:

Posted by @Roarken

Lol!

Arfen - 2 years ago

The pteroguin is absolutely awesome.

Love the landscape guys. The mountains look so real!

Wolfguarde - 2 years ago

The more I see about pteroguins, the more I want an army of them.

This is going to happen. At least one baron in my kingdom will man his walls with dire penguins.

Taryl - 2 years ago
@Wolfguarde:

It shouldn't be a problem. In a whole kingdom at least one of your barons should be a Linux user.

TheBlackGriffin - 2 years ago

Wait, so talents are not "ppl with smithing talent lvl up quicker in smithing" type stuff?

And if i want to do magic and i aint born with stuff like that, cant i do a dr strange, wer he goes through alot of practice and study? (An entire lifetime or more worth of practice should be good if u guys are ok with the idea.)

Decifith - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

Skill Ramps are things in the game that the soul has already done in a previous lifetime. I'm unsure if your family can give you a skill ramp if you're born in a family of smiths but the skill ramp makes it easier for you to learn things that you've already learned in your previous life. Talents on the other hand are the less than 5% "magical powers" in the game that give you unique abilities. With your idea of practicing your entire lifetime or more for magic it means you'd be spending a year in real life studying one thing nonstop. There is a chance though that you can get magic off artifacts and relics from either caves or dungeons in the game I assume. There's not a lot mentioning how to obtain em.

@Decifith:

OH! talents are like mutants from xmen or the inhumans, that explains alot. I had to research it a bit since m'dense skull dont let me understand lots.

Oh and if your given the choice of using an entire lifetime to end up being one of Charles Xavier's student, why wouldn't you?

Thnx btw

Decifith - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

Posted By TheBlackGriffin at 6:24 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

Thnx btw

I disagree since the human brain only uses 10% brain power, I think of talents more like the other 90% of the human brain and when you awaken your talent by triggering it, it's like a portion of that 90% of the brain is awaken and you understand completely how to use that talent... Like it's been there your whole life but you just don't have the willpower or the event to trigger it.

Mesis - 2 years ago
@Decifith:

Posted By Decifith at 01:32 AM - Sun Sep 25 2016

Posted By TheBlackGriffin at 6:24 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

Thnx btw

That is wrong. Human uses 100% of his brain. It is just at any given time you usually only use 10% if I recall correctly

@Decifith:

Hmm...

Woogawoman - 2 years ago

It looks like the Pteroguin got a foot update? Makes more sense for it to have raptor-like feet than penguin ones. Fins aren't really made for grasping. :D

@Woogawoman:

Old sage:DONT GO IN THAT DIRECTION! Me : Why? Old sage : its pterroguin territory. Me : What are "terrpenguins"? Old sage : They are vicious creatures that hunt all smaller creatures including us, if they sees you they...they... Me : they what ?! Old sage : THEY FLIPPER SLAP YOU TO DEATH!

**intense music

**Extreme gasping from everywhere

TheBlackGriffin - 2 years ago

I didnt quite understand the difference between talent and skill, can anyone elaborate.

Kingofeasterns - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

talent are just like magic power that some player are born with (less than 5 percent of players will have a talent) just like teleportation , speaking with animals etc. while the skills like your level on something just like your power on forging, using a sword etc the skills are brought by training something or augmenting it.

TheBlackGriffin - 2 years ago

OMG, I CANT BELIEVE MY COMMENT CREATED SUCH A BIG THING!

usually i comment something and no one knows it exists, BUT THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE RESPONDING IS AMAZING!

oh btw watch jackseptickeye's Shadow of the collossus. It'll get you through it faster.

Ps, wers da parkour preview

Pps, can you explain the different fighting styles thing a little more?

Ppps, i figured out the parkour part.

Decifith - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

As of right now rapiers are the only thing that we've seen in the game and that's a video of how the fighting style is. During the video you can see both sides using the same weapon but taking really different approaches on utilizing the weapon.

Sev - 2 years ago

I can't wait to buy into the thousandth mmo that I've been hyped for and I can't wait for shattered dreams and another part of my gaming soul to die.

Seriously though, I want the game to succeed and I am buying in on release of shop, but the odds are stacked heavily against this game.

I apologize for dampening anyone's spirits. I'm just another skeptical mmo vet.

Gimli_Gloin - 2 years ago
@Sev:

Posted By Sev at 06:44 AM - Tue Sep 20 2016

I apologize for dampening anyone's spirits. I'm just another skeptical mmo vet.

Why do you think the odds are stacked heavily against this game?

Sev - 2 years ago
@Gimli_Gloin:

@Excalibur40 Well, first because it's an mmorpg. That in and of itself makes odds go down for a game of being successful or just plain surviving. Any mmo vet knows what I am talking about.

Second, it's risky to make a game as ambitious as coe. The mmo community has seen this song and dance again and again. A lot of hype behind a game which seems to have good concepts on paper, but then crash and burns later.

I'm not a game designer or programmer, but I have experience in seeing a lot of mmos developmental process. There have been so many games that have made the same promises, that have had the same hype, that are doing "what no one has done before" and then just fall flat. I do want the game to succeed, and that's why I'm buying in, but I am skeptical for good reason and that is simply because of what has happened before with the countless dead before it of mmorpgs.

@Sev:

I agree. But I'm not a guy who played that many mmos. I only hope they don't go no man's sky on us. If anyone is into space exploration games, then they'll know what I'm talking about.

For those who don't...ever heard of Google?

Anyway, after no man's sky, I'm not keeping the same amount of hype i did for that game.

But still, surprise us guys, you've done it before.

Sev - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

@TheBlackGriffin No man sky straight up lied about what they were putting in the game, which does happen often, but they took it to another level, and they didn't let anyone get a review copy prior to launch, which is a red flag. I wouldn't worry about that happening with this game though, because well there's obviously a alpha/beta stage of testing that happens and we can call them on their shit easier leading up to launch and on launch days. Also, mmorpgs can't typically just survive off of you just buying the game and move on to the next money grab. They need longevity.

It looks like Jeremy Walsh is passionate about his product and I don't think SoulBound studios is going to pull a nomansky, but passion by itself is not enough. We'll just have to wait and see.

@Sev:

Dud, all i said was, im not keepin dat much hype. But i do agree that we can simply play the alpha/beta (still no idea which one comes first in terms of game testing) and then tell um, "you forgot the giant random icecream cakes you promised", and have them fix it, but no mans sky kinda made me opem my eyes when it comes to believing game creators. Ps i dont know why i got this feeling that it wont get a good start, itll get slightly repettitive or something, now obviously i could be wrong, but still getting to me. And dont get me.wrong, i REALLY want this game and ive got a feeling many wont like it except for a few including me, like cod ghosts (srsly loved the game. Come at me bruh)

So yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.

@Sev:

Lol

Sleep - 2 years ago

Awesome screenshots!

Lentor - 2 years ago

Can't wait for this game!

Antelino - 2 years ago

I hope we are at least told when ship tech can be researched as there will be a lot of people waiting for that to be available after launch, myself included.

Caeoltoiri - 2 years ago
@Antelino:

Posted By Antelino at 5:14 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

We're not going to tell you when ship tech can be researched. There's not going to be a hard cap on what you can research... we're going to be seamlessly deploying new technology into the system as the servers grow, so one server that makes deep-sea travel tech a high priority might 'unlock' that technology earlier than a server focusing on advancing their war machines, for example.

@Caeoltoiri:

Wait, does that mean we can eventually invent stuff like planes and machine guns too?

If yes i'm kinda seeing my great great grandchild playing a game thats like gta with magic, and the name of the game?

Chronicles of elyria.

Takeda_Shinukage - 2 years ago
@Caeoltoiri:

Posted By Caeoltoiri at 9:58 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

Posted By Antelino at 5:14 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

Is it possible or even a thought in the office about at one point having 1 or more servers interactive with each other? I don't know what phasing/loading would have to occur between continents but I think it would be really cool at like the 8/10 year mark to have an interaction between servers and the different cultures that evolved over this time.

Aeryn Suun - 2 years ago

Store, then The Prologue? I hope.

Nice images.

ElLepricon - 2 years ago

The screen shots look absolutely beautiful. Man....it reminds me of My home state, Alaska. I cannot explain how excited I am to explore and play in the Northern Regions.

lenkek - 2 years ago

The Pteroguin is going to be an instant no when I see it.

Viralyte - 2 years ago

Posted By Costanius at 9/19/2016 10:05:43 PM

If deep-ocean travel can be researched by players it must be in the game as a feature and programmed gameplay function already. (And get tested in alpha/beta to work correctly) Or do You mean it will probably added to the game later after release?

I think it's one of those things that don't come into play until farther in, which let them add it in when they get it done rather than having it ready for launch.

Costanius - 2 years ago

Caeoltoiri - 2 years ago
@Costanius:

Posted By Costanius at 3:05 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

We'll be quietly updating the servers as we go, so you might not know a recipe or feature been added to the game until you discover it.. like deep-ocean travel ;)

F-Flying mounts confirmed!?

Did I say flying mounts? I meant, uh... big, flying creatures that you may or may not be able to tame or.. mount.... -shifty eyes-

Khazad - 2 years ago
@Caeoltoiri:

Posted By Caeoltoiri at 11:18 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

Posted By Costanius at 3:05 PM - Mon Sep 19 2016

F-Flying mounts confirmed!?

Hahah too late now! FLYING MOUNT HYPE! ;)

Aionion - 2 years ago
@Khazad:

Yep. It'll mount you and fly off... :)

ForestGuardian - 2 years ago
@Khazad:

I just hope this doesn't turn into a grind to unluck jedi, like the early days of Star Wars Galaxy. That can really pull you out of the immersion of playing a character.

Caeoltoiri - 2 years ago

The viking reference reminded me of ships and so I wanted to know if you guys are workin on some sort of naval combat system or something like in archeage.

Deep-ocean travel technology will not be in the game at launch. That's something that needs to be researched by the players on the server :)

And speaking of more ways to move around, can we have parkour as a skill? And dragon mounts!

There will be free movement in the game. Here's a little preview. Flying mounts will be even rarer than magical Talents ;)

I also thought that the big creatures should be climbable like i Shadow of the collossus and you could stab them while your on top.

Never actually played the game (it's on my backlog), but we'll see.

Ppl shold also get some sort of "hit here for insta kill" mechanism, like a headshot.

You can just aim for a headshot with your weapon/projectile.

Hey Caspian, if you're going to put tribes, than i will recommend adding different fighting styles. This would also affect how you'd generally behave with other weapons.

There will be different fighting styles.

Khazad - 2 years ago
@Caeoltoiri:

Posted By Caeoltoiri at 9/19/2016 9:57:49 PM

Never actually played the game (it's on my backlog), but we'll see.

Ppl shold also get some sort of 'hit here for insta kill' mechanism, like a headshot.

You can just aim for a headshot with your weapon/projectile.

There will be different fighting styles.

F-flying mounts confirmed?!

Viralyte - 2 years ago

Welcome Griffin, I would suggest reading the q&a transcripts or watching them on YouTube. DM21 has some great videos and interviews with Caspian and the dev journals will address almost all of what you are talking about.

TheBlackGriffin - 2 years ago

For eg. If i give a samurai and a fencer a stick and ask them to spar, they're going to fight very differently. The samurai will weild the stick with 2 hands and strike sideways, whereas the fencer would use one and strike in a "stabbing" manner. And I'm not just talking about other weapons, i mean kung fu vs roman wrestling type stuff as well.

Hope you liked the idea. (And my previous ones 😉 )

Sneezewortt - 2 years ago

Agreed loving these updates and the mountain omg dat mountain so excited to go exploring :P and building <3

Josh_2486 - 2 years ago

Beautiful work guys, the view was breath taking

Caspian - 2 years ago
@Josh_2486:

Thanks!

Thelmund - 2 years ago

Could you elaborate more on what you intend to bring with this "focus on player-created content" in the next update?

Besides that, thanks for keeping us updated. Can't wait to see the Prologue. :)

Halvgrim - 2 years ago

I wonder if the terrorpenguin is solid or of it is full or air like an airship. How much does it weigh?

bdpcampos - 2 years ago

"...but with the v3 of the website coming later this year, we'll transition to focusing on player-created content."

So it means we´ll finaly see the architecture tool? Can´t wait to plan tons of buildings!

This landscape is breathtaking!

Eliyah - 2 years ago

The new environment images are beautiful. The depth and detail draws you in and makes you want to explore everywhere!

Keep up the phenomenal work!

Malais - 2 years ago

I have found a problem with my castle atop the mountain in the third picture... Terrorguin droppings.

I only hope they are solitary critters. If they run in flocks dear lord the carriage washing bills.

And ZRO really liking the new version of the website. I'm almost always on mobile when I'm here and it looks and functions so much better.

Guess that means you need to keep Caspian focused on the game and outta your code!

Antelino - 2 years ago
@Malais:

I could have sworn Caspian said they were group animals, much like penguins today.

Polite - 2 years ago
@Antelino:

Posted By Antelino at 9/19/2016 1:28:33 PM

Yep it has been stated they are pack animals and hunt in packs. Truly majestic beasts :D.

CaptainSeli - 2 years ago

No sky box, praise the sun!

Sorrowfox - 2 years ago

This is why I'm so sorrowful... Pteroguins killed my family.

TheBlackGriffin - 2 years ago

Oh and finally, voice chat, but slightly different. You know how there's a speech to text thing, add that in and then make the character read it out in a custom made voice with the same tone as the player!

Soo? What'd ya think?

Josh_2486 - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

There honestly shouldn't be an "insta-kill" spot on some giant beast, that would make things a little unbalanced. Just think about it...no matter where you stab a giant the size of a building with your puny little knife or sword...it isn't gonna do much other than make it angry. These unstoppable beast should be...almost unstoppable

@Josh_2486:

My friend, I understand what you mean, you are correct in this topic, yet you didn't understand exactly what I meant. My idea was more towards the smaller creatures (comparatively), like foxes, lions, humans, scary ideas of the creators which includes mixing cute penguins with a pterodactyl to make a much more disturbing and scary death machine.

So i will not say you are incorrect, neither will i say i was. But i hope you understand what the main concept was

(Ps what'd ya think about critical spots for said giants ay?)

Sneezewortt - 2 years ago
@TheBlackGriffin:

Posted By TheBlackGriffin at 9/19/2016 11:26:41 AM

facepalm triggered so much

Maulvorn - 2 years ago

This is awesome.

Zunjin - 2 years ago

The gras and the mountains look epic! :)

dar350 - 2 years ago

sweats

Brynath - 2 years ago

Change most of the grass to fireweed and that would almost look like places around here.

Takeda_Shinukage - 2 years ago

The terrorguin strikes again lol.