COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Lich?

I read in the DJ#15 that there was a way to gain immortality by becoming a lich and storing your soul into a dungeon and thus becoming the first raid boss. So since aging and dying is the main part of this game the amount of hoops you would have to jump through im assuming would be astronomical. But besides dying what would be the purpose of becoming a lich?

10/26/2016 1:36:01 AM #31

Posted By Shadowlander at 03:11 AM - Wed Oct 26 2016

Just take your phylactery, put it into a chest, and sink it into a lake, whos gonna look for a liches soul at the bottom of a lake.

There's decay tho, the chest and its contents would likely have to be maintained now and then to not rot or rust away. So sounds like a potentially fun contender for "dumb ways to die: Lich edition". x3

11/17/2016 6:39:54 AM #32

Posted By Rhaegys at 1:15 PM - Thu Dec 03 2015

One of the negative points of both Vampires and Liches is that once your soul isn't in your body anymore, any skill you learn won't be remember by your soul and carry over to your next life.

For example, if you were a journeyman carpenter when you are turn into a vampire and then you keep practising the craft and become master, when you are killed 300 years later and you reuse your soul to create a new character his ramp up skill on carpentry will go only till journeman, not master.

What if your phylactery is a ring worn on your hand, an artificial hand physically attached to your arm, or a gem embedded in your body? As long as a soul is in physical contact with a body it should be able to record the skills and deeds of that body. This can have a strange result when a Vampire holding several souls within themselves, basically increases the skills of all their captured souls which also jointly share any achievements attained. Of course this could be seen as compensation to the owners of those souls for when the Vampire is finally killed.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

11/26/2016 2:49:25 AM #33

Undoubtly this is an interesting concept. However having your phylactery on you is probably unwise. The lake thing could have its benefits, as could the tree hiding place. It's best not to bring up your plans though, you never know who will be watching. Liches may be powerful but they do have their flaws. Also it kinda reminds me of lord moldy-butt (voldemort) and brings up the question. Into how many parts can we break our soul? Or only one phylactery is possible?

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

11/26/2016 3:02:34 AM #34

If we hit the bury stretch goal I can only imagine all of the hidden beauties like a phylactery waiting to be dug up XD.

I don't know anymore.

11/26/2016 4:04:21 AM #35

Posted By Varrgrym at 6:49 PM - Fri Nov 25 2016

Undoubtly this is an interesting concept. However having your phylactery on you is probably unwise. The lake thing could have its benefits, as could the tree hiding place. It's best not to bring up your plans though, you never know who will be watching. Liches may be powerful but they do have their flaws. Also it kinda reminds me of lord moldy-butt (voldemort) and brings up the question. Into how many parts can we break our soul? Or only one phylactery is possible?

It has been mentioned that the soul can not be broken up, however, there are other methods which might accomplish a similar result. An unexplored called out part of the Easter egg in the first DJ [hidden under "Once Borns and more powerful souls"] hints at soul binding to the various Spirits of objects and nature [which are further mentioned in some QnA]. While pointed out in https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/91/the-great-dev-journal-easter-egg-hunt the mechanic of the Easter egg was not recognized. Then when soul binding was later mentioned for use in marriage Caspian said they had already been working on the mechanism for something else and it was still not recognized. A relic essentially has its own Spirit closely tied into the Story and therefore has unique general Story based requirements for its use. So what about Spirits to non-indestructible objects which may have formed connections with certain Children of Mann. While the Ring of Sauron [which was destructible] acted like a phylactery it did not in fact hold his soul, it had its own Spirit which had the single goal of reuniting with its bonded master.

That also brings up what may happen if the Spirit of a House, Cart, or even the Land itself was awoken and bound to someone. Imagine that person losing control of it thru adverse possession or coup. The new owners may have to contend with the Elyrian equivalent of a poltergeist, killer cart, or a moving castle.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

3/3/2018 11:48:38 PM #36

I’ve always wanted a game where I could play as a lich, this is getting me even more excited for the game. Immortality is definitely worth not having the skill ramps. Though I would hope we could have a few undead minions if possible, would make it amazing.

3/4/2018 12:13:34 AM #37

Posted By *Doxnia21 * at 6:48 PM - Sat Mar 03 2018

I’ve always wanted a game where I could play as a lich, this is getting me even more excited for the game. Immortality is definitely worth not having the skill ramps. Though I would hope we could have a few undead minions if possible, would make it amazing.

Congratulations! You have taken your first step towards mastering necromancy.

3/4/2018 1:42:31 AM #38

There have been a few hints to where you should start looking for achieving immortality. Considering the size of the starting continent, it should be possible to find a desolated location for the phalactory.

3/4/2018 1:50:50 AM #39

If you're interested in becoming a lich, and discussing all the ways on how you like to be one then please feel free to create a new thread to discuss it there. Otherwise, I'm locking this thread. :)