COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Astrophysics of Elyria?

Disclaimer: I am a layman when it comes to planetary physics.

Based on the information provided by SBS Elyria is probably orbiting binary stars and has an unusual orbit path based on the day/night and seasonal cycles. This is assuming that Elyria is actually round and therefore real world physics apply. Otherwise it would make more sense for Elyria to be at the center of the solar system with its "Sun" orbiting the "planet."

In addition, as 1 year of Elyrian time is equivalent to 1 week of our time there is possible severe (anti?)gravitational anomaly that is causing a time contraction making Elyrian time pass much more quickly than ours.

What would be your take on these ideas and what may be added to make more sense of what the local Elyrian solar system looks like?

NA-West Barony Corvoviste | Founder of the Farstriders | FC: DAF200

1/17/2017 8:41:37 PM #1

The existence of multiple planes of existence caused by Gods ripping the planet into three probably messed up the astrophysics a bit. When you take things like that into account you no longer have the same rules we would use here on Earth.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/17/2017 9:20:58 PM #2

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 3:41 PM - Tue Jan 17 2017

The existence of multiple planes of existence caused by Gods ripping the planet into three probably messed up the astrophysics a bit. When you take things like that into account you no longer have the same rules we would use here on Earth.

but that is just one story, perhaps there is a grain of truth to it. perhaps the world only had one continent and it was torn into three? or perhaps there actually was a war that tore the world into three dimensions, id not take anything caspian has given us about the worlds history as gospel truth, after all he has emphasized that this is simply what the inhabitants of Elyria "know"

perhaps also, the lifespan of Elyrians and Elyrian wildlife is actually just shorter than ours? that is not particularly hard to believe either, no need for fancy time bending physics, Occam's razor and all. though explaining the astrophysics of the elyrian solar system would be cool, assuming it is a traditional solar system (and not some fantasy system like a flat world)

1/17/2017 10:36:51 PM #3

There actually was someone who explained the astrophysics of the system, though that was before the change in the length of Elyrian years and seasons.

Because Science*

*fixed link.

1/18/2017 2:36:10 AM #4

If you want to be the one to chart the path of the stars/planets then I'm sure you could figure something out. Though the problem with trying to apply physics to fantasy worlds is that unless the creator had incredible consistency and thought about how the physics of their world would work, then you'll probably find that a lot of shit just works because magic or because it's convenient.

Part of why we have such in depth physics knowledge of our world is because we want to know why certain things happen, like why are there seasons that happen once per year and what even is a year and why is it always the same. But in CoE, we already know why the year is 7 days long, because it's convenient for fitting with our 7 day work week, it fits with the Gregorian calendar. There are no back end rules that all just happen to lead to the game being the way it is. It's by design, by the gods(SBS) and sure there will be randomization and stuff that the gods- I mean SBS didn't directly oversee, but as far as the day/night cycle and seasons, their existence serves to make our experience of the game greater, not because that's how the universe works.

There might be areas that need to be studied, like the location of ore and mineral deposits based on the geography of the game since SBS won't be directly placing ore veins by hand, but my point still remains.

Most of the constellations will be designed by players with little to no physical basis. It will be aesthetically pleasing. That doesn't mean you can't interpret the meaning in astronomical stuff. It will just be astrology/theology since the gods(SBS) are real and every player knows this.

1/18/2017 9:09:22 PM #5

Ya I know that the real reason for the years and seasons are meant for fun and game mechanics. I just like thinking about this sort of geekery for fun.

Besides that it would be very cool if SBS did put in some real world logic into Elyrian solar bodies and stars. Then people could do cool stuff like learning the radius of the planet (under the assumption it IS round) using the sunset and all sort of other sciency stuff that would be useful for astronomy, navigation, and anything else that benefits from said knowledge.

But you are right. Blame the wizard. =P

1/19/2017 5:04:11 AM #6

Posted By Rhonynn Farstrider at 1:09 PM - Wed Jan 18 2017

Ya I know that the real reason for the years and seasons are meant for fun and game mechanics. I just like thinking about this sort of geekery for fun.

Besides that it would be very cool if SBS did put in some real world logic into Elyrian solar bodies and stars. Then people could do cool stuff like learning the radius of the planet (under the assumption it IS round) using the sunset and all sort of other sciency stuff that would be useful for astronomy, navigation, and anything else that benefits from said knowledge.

But you are right. Blame the wizard. =P

Maybe I'm just to jaded with physics considering that it's my major. That's probably why I don't play many wizards.