COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Assassins in Elyria

I believe that this kind of gameplay will be viable and used in this game along with espionage. Considering though how when someone has a successful coup de grace done on them it doesn't permanently kill the target and instead shortens their overall lifespan it will perhaps need to be approached as one would approach a fight of attrition.

With each "death" shortening a player's lifespan by greater amounts based on their standing in the hierarchy. Numerous successful assassinations will have an impact but only one will be somewhat limited in effect. (I would actually like to know numbers at some point regarding how many deaths at what positions it would take to permadeath a character.) It will likely take numerous deaths for this to sufficiently lower a players lifespan so that they aren't able to reincarnate back into an heir and lose their position. That brings another point in that the timing related to the ages of their heirs will give a certain time frame for assassinations to achieve what they are meant to optimally. This will mean that understanding the amount and ages of heirs will be important in evaluating this time frame.

With the requirement of multiple deaths also comes the fact that varying and creative methods will have to be taken in order to be successful and likely the rate of success after each attempt will likely decrease. My conclusion on this is that while assassination will likely play a role in the shortening of a noble players lifespan it alone as a method will likely not be sufficient to permadeath someone who is well protected. A mix between the seizing of territory and keeps with armies and singular assassins will be needed to accomplish this. I'd like to hear the communities thoughts on this. If any of my information is outdated, please correct. Thanks for reading.

1/19/2017 2:33:06 AM #1

1/19/2017 2:39:38 AM #2

Anything meaningful to add to this?

1/19/2017 2:50:24 AM #3

I'm not sure. I think there was another thread on this with numbers a little ago.

I'm thinking it won't be easy to kill a King. If not player guards then NPC guards to deal with. Yeah they loose more in a sense. But if the assassin gets killed why wouldn't they end up in jail as well?

I just don't see you waltzing up to a King or Queen and running them through with a dagger any old time you want. You'll have to plan and hope and get lucky.

1/19/2017 2:59:08 AM #4

I don't feel like finding the journals but we do have exact numbers. you lose 2 days per death, this goes up based on your fame. The vast majority of people will lose 2-4 days while someone like a king would lose 64 days (that's the max). It's worth mentioning that getting caught killing someone results in you losing double whatever that person lost.

people will also get bonuses to their story point gain in equal proportion to their spirit loss. So a king gets 32 times more story points. for those who don't know, you can use story points to buy sparks of life, and you also need these points to inhabit high ranking npc's such as the kings heir. This also prevents a king from sitting around doing nothing since that would mean they wouldn't have enough points to take over their heir.

1/20/2017 6:44:05 PM #5

This creates the odd mechanic that PvP ganking can cost the target actual money.

A monarch who has already paid thousands for his position is just going to buy another spark of life when his lifespan ends. I don't really see how an assassin could force any political change in the game world -- but with each death reducing the game time a player has paid for, a persistent guild of assassins could cost someone a moderate amount of money in the real world.

1/21/2017 12:15:47 AM #6

Assassins are sneaky types that infiltrate without blabbing to the world that they're assassins. :)

If you want to play a certain way then do so, pretty much anything is possible in Elyria, and player killing is one of them. So can you kill a King? Yes you can, but no one is going to tell you how let alone encourage it. You're essentially asking people if it's ok to waste their 10k that they pledged towards this game creation to support your playstyle.

1/21/2017 5:43:54 PM #7

Posted By Hexprone at 12:44 PM - Fri Jan 20 2017

This creates the odd mechanic that PvP ganking can cost the target actual money.

A monarch who has already paid thousands for his position is just going to buy another spark of life when his lifespan ends. I don't really see how an assassin could force any political change in the game world -- but with each death reducing the game time a player has paid for, a persistent guild of assassins could cost someone a moderate amount of money in the real world.

This was part of my post. Having to take into account heirs. If you were to kill off someone when they had no viable heir they wouldn't be able to fill that position anymore. This would take a lot of work, though. While I agree with Lunas that anyone can be whatever they want in this game, for the most part, Assassins will most likely be spies first with the ability to kill if needed. Espionage and information gathering I think will be huge in this game.