COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How will large scale battles be rendered?

I was under the impression until quite recently that spatial O.S could handle large numbers of players on screen at once. As it happens I was wrong, spacial O.S can handle large numbers of players on the server. Unfortunately, that doesn't automatically fix the problems with large scale battle between Duchies or Kingdoms.

Optimistically speaking the server player capacities will be 100,000+ between 6 Kingdoms or so, as Caspian has previously stated. So my question is how on Earth, I mean Elyria, will we recreate the battle of the bastards? Even speciality titles like Total War struggle to deal sizable numbers.

I'm at a loss, 100,000 divided by six kingdoms is still 16,000 people so even if it's only two kingdoms going to war without allies, each only raising 500 men then we're still talking a thousand people. Some on mounts, catapults, ballista's and maybe even the townsfolk (Assuming a siege situation) all in one area.

I must be missing something and it's quite possible this has been asked before so apologies in advance but if C.O.E plans to have their combat locking system, myriads of independent dodging and attack animations, along with basic collision then won't everything just combust like a Samsung galaxy?

Appreciate any answers,

~Daven.

4/28/2017 8:42:57 PM #1

i confess that i do not know the answer to your question.

but....

a counter question....

how long do you think it would take to build the infrastructure to put even 500 fully trained and equipped combatants in the field with all the necessary intelligence, command and logistical support?

4/28/2017 8:51:29 PM #2

The start is 100,000 Daven, but in say a year will be higher. 100,000 isn't the max the server can support but just the starting amount.

So over time it will be more and more possible for larger fights, at the same time of creating fights of lag. =p

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious."

4/28/2017 8:53:46 PM #3

I don't think it'll even be reasonable to amass an army of that size for one specific battle, unless both sides are that tactically inept that they pooled all of their resources into one place.

4/28/2017 8:58:08 PM #4

When such a battle occurs, the leaders of the two sites will just find together and play a minigame like chess :P Such huge battles will be rare, so no problem^^

(dunno, might get interesting, but we know nothing, like for most details for the game)

Friend Code: 30EF47

4/28/2017 9:03:35 PM #5

I believe the current plan is, in liue of actually rendering a battle of that scale, you send people to the real life houses of your enemies and break their thumbs, thus preventing them from logging on.

The metagame for CoE is going to be very deep.

4/28/2017 9:17:45 PM #6

It's a valid question that concerns me as well. Saying things like "well it will be rare" or "well it will take a long time to outfit an army that size" add nothing to the discussion of when it does happen.

No one cares if we can fit 100k players in the server across an area so massive that no one will ever feel it.

People will care when the first major siege of 200 combatants happens in the same grid of the server and it becomes an unplayable slideshow.

In the past when fights got that big in Darkfall, it came down to who had the most players on their side with NASA computers, good ping and some luck. The side that d/c'ed less would win.

4/28/2017 9:30:26 PM #7

Posted By Vucar at 4:17 PM - Fri Apr 28 2017

It's a valid question that concerns me as well. Saying things like "well it will be rare" or "well it will take a long time to outfit an army that size" add nothing to the discussion of when it does happen.

No one cares if we can fit 100k players in the server across an area so massive that no one will ever feel it.

People will care when the first major siege of 200 combatants happens in the same grid of the server and it becomes an unplayable slideshow.

In the past when fights got that big in Darkfall, it came down to who had the most players on their side with NASA computers, good ping and some luck. The side that d/c'ed less would win.

Well, we do have stress tests where we can mosh.

Otherwise, I don't have the developing know-how to really contribute further to the discussion.

4/28/2017 10:39:17 PM #8

Given the visual and gameplay fidelity SBS is shooting for, large-scale battles are a pipe dream at best. I expect they'll find some way of breaking up large scale wars into manageable skirmishes and duels. Even siege scenarios and the like will probably be minced down to sizes that current hardware can handle.

Referral Code: 912EC9

4/28/2017 11:09:58 PM #9

In top down 8 bit graphics of course.

4/28/2017 11:43:25 PM #10

Well I think 2017 is the year when devs are pushing to put as many people on a battlefield as possible. Crowfall, War of Rights, Bannerlords, and Camelot Unchained are all aiming for large scale battles as well. I'm not sure if any will be successful, but I do think it is definitely possible. Back in 2012, Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars, a mod for a relatively low budget, low tech 2010 game, managed to have playable 100 vs. 100 matches. So, I think it is entirely possible that a multi-million $ budget Dev in 2017 can make a playable experience out of a large scale battle in an MMO.

I think I will opt to have faith in the Devs on this issue. Afterall, it is hardly something CoE can afford to mess up on with so much competition aiming for the exact same thing.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/28/2017 11:47:51 PM #11

Posted By Apaukolypse at 6:43 PM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Well I think 2017 is the year when devs are pushing to put as more people on a battlefield than ever before. Crowfall, War of Rights, Bannerlords, and Camelot Unchained are all aiming for large scale battles as well. I'm not sure if any will be successful, but I do think it is definitely possible. Back in 2012, Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars, a mod for a relatively low budget, low tech 2010 game, managed to have playable 100 vs. 100 matches. So, I think it is entirely possible that a multi-million $ budget Dev in 2017 can make a playable experience out of a large scale battle.

I think I will opt to have faith in the Devs on this issue.

Mount and Blade actually has an engine-limit of 300-person battles.

But yeah, graphical detail has just about reached its apex, so now's the time for it to move on to more objects being rendered at once.

4/29/2017 12:18:23 AM #12

@OP

In CoE this will not be a problem. Kingdoms that backed this game are carebear communities that prefer to hold hands and sing kumba yo.

If you don't believe, just check all pvp discussions, and all minuses on posts posted by people who asked for bit more liberal pvp.

All Majors, Counts, etc posting how they will punish any sort of PvP in their neighborhood etc.

CoE had potential for wars... but then carebear communities bought all Kingdoms and now that potential is wasted. You will not see any large scale battles here, and if you do, it will be some RP event by carebears pretending to battle.

4/29/2017 12:38:23 AM #13

Posted By Gothix at 7:18 PM - Fri Apr 28 2017

@OP

In CoE this will not be a problem. Kingdoms that backed this game are carebear communities that prefer to hold hands and sing kumba yo.

If you don't believe, just check all pvp discussions, and all minuses on posts posted by people who asked for bit more liberal pvp.

All Majors, Counts, etc posting how they will punish any sort of PvP in their neighborhood etc.

CoE had potential for wars... but then carebear communities bought all Kingdoms and now that potential is wasted. You will not see any large scale battles here, and if you do, it will be some RP event by carebears pretending to battle.

What kind of idiot would allow their citizens to slaughter each other?

PVP is tolerable as kingdom vs kingdom. That's called a war. This isn't your vanilla MMO.

4/29/2017 12:41:28 AM #14

Posted By Scheneighnay at 02:38 AM - Sat Apr 29 2017

What kind of idiot would allow their citizens to slaughter each other?

PVP is tolerable as kingdom vs kingdom. That's called a war. This isn't your vanilla MMO.

As i said OP, not gonna be a problem in CoE. :)

4/29/2017 12:51:12 AM #15

Why do we have to resort to fighting?

Where is the Elyrian Convention when we need it?

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner