COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A Basic Guide to Deviancy

Greetings and salutations!

So I thought I might put this together both for my own entertainment but also to help out would be deviants to get off on the right foot. While I can neither confirm nor deny any real life experience in what CoE would consider deviant activities, I can at least promise that these basic guidelines will help to ensure that you’re deviant career isn’t a self defeating one.

The Golden Rule: Never, ever, EVER, admit that you plan to engage in such activities. Sure, you may think that going by a different name in game than on the forums is enough to protect you, but history in gaming espionage has proven time and again that this is a fool’s assumption. Even without doing some silly hacker bullshit, there are number of ways for people to put two and two together to figure out who you are. Even if you don’t believe me, we should all at least agree that it’s better to be safe than sorry. Just don’t blow your own digital cover.

Rule two: Trade Secrets, keep them. You may now be scratching your head and asking “But Doglord, you’re posting a guide on a public forum! Doesn’t this break rule two?” And to that I answer, yes, I am totally giving away trade secrets. That being said, I only intend to share the most basic of knowledge that should be considered common sense. However, common sense isn’t all that common, so I’m breaking the second rule to give you aspiring deviants out there at least the most basic of basics. More advanced knowledge will just have to come to the more perceptive and experienced.

Rule Three: Always have a plan. Winging it doesn’t cut it in the long run and sooner or later your improvisation will fail to pull you out of the fire. Take your time. So long as you haven’t broken the golden rule, the opposition shouldn’t even know you’re a threat, so why rush? Plan, plan and plan some more until you have a plan you are willing to risk permadeath on. Even if you’re at no risk of permadeath yet, always plan as if you were. If Permadeath isn’t a concern of yours for whatever reason, then I at least hope you can find something to motivate you to make a solid plan. Whatever works.

Rule Four: You’re not as smart as you think you are, so plan accordingly. Yes, the truth hurts but as the saying goes, there is always a bigger fish. Now what about the plan accordingly bit? Easy. Always have multiple backup and escape plans. Even backups for your backups. Even if your backup is simply to get the hell out of there and never return. It is always best to live to cause trouble again another day! Going down fighting is for martyrs and fools. Again, it’s just better to be safe than sorry so always assume the opposition has accounted for your plan and your backups. If your plan works, excellent! If it doesn’t, at least you have a fallback.

Rule Five: Learn to improvise. “But Doglord! You said to not rely on improvisation!” Yes I did and you shouldn’t rely on improvisation, but let’s face it, things don’t always go as planned. Sometimes all it takes to get things back on track is a little improv, so don’t neglect practicing flexible thinking just in case! So long as your deviancy is more science than art, you should do fine.

Rule Six: Take care of your gear! Tools and equipment in CoE can wear down and break. Best not risk your gear breaking in the middle of whatever deviant act you’re performing.

Rule Seven: This is probably one of the more important rules for true beginners. Don’t bother advertising. Yes, this is just like the first rule, but in this case I’m talking specifically in game. If you’re looking for other deviants to partner up with or employers to work with, don’t sweat it. They’ll eventually come to you. Work independently long enough without getting yourself killed, captured or otherwise washed out of the business of deviancy and eventually you’ll attract the notice of other criminals, or perhaps they will get your notice! As a deviant, you will naturally gravitate to places other deviants gather over time. You all work with the same or similar tools and you all make the same or similar contacts in your line of work. Eventually you’ll find a group to work with and employers looking to hire deviants will eventually dip their toes into those same shady locales or make those same shifty contacts. Like rule three, patience is a virtue even the most vice ridden criminals can agree with.

Well! I think I’ve shared enough for now. As more information on deviant skills and the deviant lifestyle come up during development, I may revise this basic guide, but I feel these rules are general enough to get you started no matter what happens during development.

Cheers and may the better deviant (or lawman) win!

~Cheshire the Doglord

6/12/2017 7:05:45 PM #1

This is great, but aren't you kind of implicitly breaking the golden rule here as well? People will now associate you with deviant activities.

That said, this was an entertaining and informative guide. I look forward to trying to outsmart some crafty criminals.

6/12/2017 7:11:23 PM #2

Posted By MReal at 3:05 PM - Mon Jun 12 2017

This is great, but aren't you kind if implicitly breaking the golden rule here as well? People will now associate you with deviant activities.

That said, this was an entertaining and informative guide. I look forward to trying to outsmart some crafty criminals.

As I say in my opening statement, I can neither confirm nor deny any intention of deviancy. Even denying makes people assume you are lying. So yes, no matter what I say, people will associate me with deviancy. It's just something I'll have to live with.

I just wanted to help those who do want to give this playstyle a try a good foundation to work from.

Should be entertaining to see what people can accomplish.

6/12/2017 7:16:30 PM #3

A very nice post and read Doglord, CoE wouldn't be as great as it could be if the deviants in the game aren't good players; and deviant seeming to be probably the hardest role to partake in CoE it's good to spread information like this to others to improve everyone's gameplay experience.

Running the Elyrian PC Assistance Program! (https://discord.gg/4UepZJZ)

6/12/2017 7:21:26 PM #4

I can't find a flaw, I really tried.

6/12/2017 7:51:35 PM #5

very nice Doglord +1, not that I would ever do any deviant activities.

6/12/2017 8:47:04 PM #6

Thanks everyone! Happy to be of service.

I've thought of another small piece of advice.

Disguises are a great way to help stay one step ahead of the law. Even if you're not a master of disguise, take the extra step to prepare one. Even a cheap disguise may spare your identity should you get spotted. Best to stack the deck in your favor in any way you can.

6/13/2017 7:18:37 PM #7

I would also add this: Do your homework diligently, figure out where true power lies, forget idealism , be pragmatic and work for the side that wields it, have powerful backers to sponsor your "deviant art work".

This will be by far hardest playstyle to play successfully there is very limited space for making mistakes. There is no place here for idealism, only thing that should matter to Deviant is himself. If you are prone for idealistic views of things greater than yourself and greater "good" this is probably not playstyle for you, sooner then later you will make decisions that will conflict with the life you chose in Elyria.

Personally I believe there will be very few truly excellent deviants rest will be just meat put on a grinder.

Early when I heard about the game I thought awesome I will be "talented" vampire Lich werewolf fireball casting super ninja pirate assassin....then I started paying attention... unless you are some kind of savant COE prodigy this type of play will be the most salt producing one and not on the receiving end but from those self styled "speshul badass ninja wanna bees" when they realize that game design is so heavily stacked against them. I am not saying it is not possible to be legendary deviant, but very few will ever get there.

6/13/2017 7:25:28 PM #8

Posted By Doglord at 4:47 PM - Mon Jun 12 2017

Disguises are a great way to help stay one step ahead of the law. Even if you're not a master of disguise, take the extra step to prepare one. Even a cheap disguise may spare your identity should you get spotted. Best to stack the deck in your favor in any way you can.

having a disguise of the King be a good idea?

6/13/2017 7:30:11 PM #9

Posted By Iccubus at 2:25 PM - Tue Jun 13 2017

Not really everyone knows the king, from courtiers to guard, clerks etc, etc, best disguise is someone of no great importance but who is permanent fixture , someone who is expected to be there but does not draw attention like servant minor noble, clerk . cook or guardsmen.

6/13/2017 8:36:04 PM #10

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:21 AM - Mon Jun 12 2017

I can't find a flaw, I really tried.

This is the first time I've seen a post like this from Gunghoe...

UDL

6/13/2017 8:39:21 PM #11

Posted By Mythos Cardan at 09:30 AM - Tue Jun 13 2017

Not really everyone knows the king, from courtiers to guard, clerks etc, etc, best disguise is someone of no great importance but who is permanent fixture , someone who is expected to be there but does not draw attention like servant minor noble, clerk . cook or guardsmen.

Unless you're playing as a spy whose pretending to be the town/city jester who makes fun of the nobility by wearing a horrible disguise of them and go around doing legal nonsense. It'll be spy-caption... a disguise within a disguise within a disguise

UDL

6/13/2017 11:12:27 PM #12

I would expand on rule 6 and probably move it up the list. My advice: Dont die! If your killed during whatever deviant act it is your up to, if your killed you've not only lost your gear but given away your identity. The deviant that runs away lives to kill another day. :D

6/13/2017 11:27:04 PM #13

Posted By Mythos Cardan at 3:30 PM - Tue Jun 13 2017

Oh thinking more like disguise as King and go into a settlement with disguised guards as well. Getting some drink/ free room and collect some loot and be off before morning. Not trying to fool the kings Dukes, Counts and personal guard.

6/14/2017 12:31:35 AM #14

Glad everyone is enjoying this thread. I released a paladin guide as well but it is admittedly a lot less insightful.

Anywho, I would like to add that not all who practice deviant skills are criminals. A huntress stalking a herd of dear uses stealth, a performer may use sleight of hand and even investigators and bounty hunters may use a number of deviant skills to track down, infiltrate and apprehend criminals.

As for the comment on rule six, other than the golden rule, there isn't a very strict order for the rules. I'd also like to add that while avoiding death may be preferable, it's impossible to avoid death forever and every deviant should account for that possibility. Hell, some more selfless deviants, those who fight for a cause besides their own personal wealth may willingly perform suicide missions to further their cause.

6/16/2017 3:50:08 PM #15

If I were to choose to be a deviant, I would first have to look at all the tribes to play in. However, Would you rather be a deviant in a big city or small settlement?