COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
School vs Guild [Technology] [Question for Caspian]

I understand that if a school discovers something, then it belongs to everyone and if I guild discovers something, then it belongs to the guild until the patent runs out.

However, the Kinothian, the Kypiq school of alchemy, is solidly in Kypiq territory, so if they discover gunpowder, which is likely for them more than anyone else, would the technology only be given to the Kypiq kingdoms or would the share it with everyone?

6/22/2017 11:04:15 AM #1

Good question. You should post it to the next Q&A thread once that's up.

Shieldwall Strong!

6/22/2017 11:30:03 AM #2

Hmmm... somehow I got a vision of goblin sappers :D

6/22/2017 2:08:30 PM #3

Corporate Espionage? :-B

6/22/2017 2:45:33 PM #4

Guns won`t be out for awhile... Just saying maybe in a couple of years.

6/22/2017 3:02:15 PM #5

Last mention I saw on a school vs Guild question was that both will release info to everyone the only difference was when.

A school discovers it and everyone gets it. A guild discovers it and keeps private until their 'patent' runs out. At which point it goes out to everyone.

As with all things in the game that's subject to change. I would not count on it as a hope but please add it to the next Q&A session.

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

6/22/2017 3:18:06 PM #6

I have been unable to find any specific answer as to the spread of schematics whether it will simply appear in everyone's list once it is public knowledge or "more likely imo" it will spread via the gossip system.

6/22/2017 3:38:12 PM #7

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 07:45 AM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I think he meant that as an example, I personally doubt we will ever fully research guns, maybe gun powder based weapons. But definitely towards the end of the 10 years if anything.

I feel like the answer to your question falls to the School itself. If they share it, they share it, if they don't they don't.

Where did you get the idea that school can't patent things by the way? I recall that being said at some point but forget when.

6/22/2017 4:33:29 PM #8

Posted By Vilucide at 08:38 AM - Thu Jun 22 2017

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 07:45 AM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I think he meant that as an example, I personally doubt we will ever fully research guns, maybe gun powder based weapons. But definitely towards the end of the 10 years if anything.

I feel like the answer to your question falls to the School itself. If they share it, they share it, if they don't they don't.

Where did you get the idea that school can't patent things by the way? I recall that being said at some point but forget when.

So will it be up to the Nobles to enforce patent law in their Kingdoms. How will this be done? Player driven or Game mechanic that will not allow something to be reproduced until X amount of time?

*Never mind found most of what I was looking for in DJ 13 last section under Patents & Implicit Contracts "While Patents protect the investment someone has made in researching a technology, it's still up to the individual to enforce the implicit contract." It seems to me this would take a guild effort to enforce. A single individual could end up spending most of their time just trying to enforce the Patents instead of crafting their product.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/22/2017 6:23:48 PM #9

Honestly I think that the law enforcement in general will fall a little flat on a player level. Without the backing of a guild or government it seems like enforcing most infractions would end up costing the player that was affronted more than what they would gain by the law being enforced.

6/22/2017 7:12:39 PM #10

So will it be up to the Nobles to enforce patent law in their Kingdoms. How will this be done? Player driven or Game mechanic that will not allow something to be reproduced until X amount of time?

*Never mind found most of what I was looking for in DJ 13 last section under Patents & Implicit Contracts "While Patents protect the investment someone has made in researching a technology, it's still up to the individual to enforce the implicit contract." It seems to me this would take a guild effort to enforce. A single individual could end up spending most of their time just trying to enforce the Patents instead of crafting their product.

Posted By Morholt at 11:23 AM - Thu Jun 22 2017

Honestly I think that the law enforcement in general will fall a little flat on a player level. Without the backing of a guild or government it seems like enforcing most infractions would end up costing the player that was affronted more than what they would gain by the law being enforced.

The patent is on the blueprints, so you would protect your design if its proprietary, or involves manipulating new materials etc. Depending on what it is, it would be in your government/involved noble's best interests to help you protect most things. If your county can now produce steel weapons, your count will want to ensure the commerce flows through your county for as long as possible, protecting your patent.

If your count, noble, government etc. doesn't help you enforce your patents. Stop designing things there, and move somewhere that will protect you. Its up to players to enforce patents, and up to crafting/researching players to force them to protect them as well.

6/23/2017 12:06:47 AM #11

If I recall you are on the right track. The focus of a School is to better Society, where as Guilds are focused on Commerce. However that may not be the case in all situations. A Guild can easily release their findings to the general society and a School can certainly retain special knowledge within the School.

Keep in mind that 'all' discoveries will be released to the public given enough time. A patent for a item will cost per year, so over time the patent will not be worth the money as newer and improved technology will always be introduced.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the