COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Preferential Tribe Poll Analysis

Hi, everyone!

ImmaculateDeception recently posted a preferential ranking poll to gather information on the community's preferences regarding the eight starting Tribes. I thought this was a wonderful idea, with much more opportunity for analysis than a simple "first pick" or "last pick" poll. As such, I've created a Google Sheet complete with a running analysis of the responses thus far. I highly encourage everyone to go take ImmaculateDeception's poll! It only takes a few seconds and the data it's producing is super interesting!

Click here to respond to the poll if you haven't done so already.

Click here to see the full analysis of the poll results.

Here are a few live-updated examples of the graphs included in the sheet; click the link above to see the full document! (New responses to the poll thread are pulled in automatically within 30 minutes.)

Inverted Mean Graph Standard Deviation Graph The graphs below this point are a bit messed up due to an issue that I'm not able to fix at the moment. I hope to have them corrected by the weekend. Distribution Stacked Bar Graph Distribution Stacked Line Graph Distribution Smooth Line Graph

Click here to respond to the poll if you haven't done so already.

Click here to see the full analysis of the poll results.

7/12/2017 7:17:19 PM #1

I'm glad you are doing this. One person in the rankings asked me to go further with listing which tribes got the most #1 votes but the labor I am putting into it already is enough for me. Anyone else though that wants to delve into it and figure these things out, I am all for seeing that happen.

This is a community tool.

7/12/2017 7:28:05 PM #2

That's on the "Distribution" tab, for those who are interested. Currently the most common response for each ranking is:

1. Brudvir (18.52%)
  2. Janoa (22.50%)
  3. Dras/To'resk (16.25%)
  4. Neran/The Waerd (15.00%)
  5. Hrothi (20.00%)
  6. To'resk (15.00%)
  7. Hrothi (20.00%)
  8. Kypiq (30.86%... poor guys)

I don't know how useful that metric is, but there it is, anyway.

7/12/2017 7:49:27 PM #3

Amazing work, both of you!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

7/12/2017 7:51:52 PM #4

Nice tool and it points out EXACTLY what Caspian was talking about, variety of choice is a Great thing.

Even the "poor guys" Kypiq are only last choice of a mere 31% of the population that responded... Which is likely a small % of the current pool of potential respondents.

Sounds to me like the DEVs have succeeded at the stated goal.

7/13/2017 10:15:02 PM #5

I have to say, this poll is going so much better than I anticipated, and it's producing some extremely interesting results. Responses are starting to slow down a bit, but we're still getting new posts trickling in, and we typically get them added to the data set within a couple hours (usually much faster.) I have to give a shout-out to MoonChaser for helping me keep track of the data entry and avoid any errors when punching in people's preference orders. It's been a huge help.

On another note, some people have approached me wanting to add in their preferences anonymously, so as to avoid dropping any "hints" or creating false impressions as to domain selection. This is totally okay, and I'm absolutely willing to accomodate those who prefer to keep their preferences private. Just send me your ranking via forum PM or give me a shout on Discord (Imshada#3188) and I'll add you to the list without revealing who you are. I'm not declared for any kingdom, so there's no conflict of interest; all I want is more data to bring those margins of error down! :D

Once I'm satisfied that the poll is more or less "done," I'll update the OP or make another comment here with some of the trends and statistics that I found most interesting. Of course, I'll still gladly accept new responses after then. :)

Thanks so much to ImmaculateDeception, MoonChaser, and everybody who has taken the time to respond to the poll. This has proven to be a far more interesting project than I expected when I started on it, and I look forward to continuing the ongoing analysis!

7/13/2017 10:40:25 PM #6

Thank you, it's fun working on this and nice to see the current state displayed in graphs.
I'm looking forward to more people contributing to the poll and it'll be interesting to compare the results with future polls for when we'll have more information on the tribes such as clothing and architecture.

To remind everybody:
These are but prelimary impressions of how a subset of the community has voted. We're still in pre-alpha and while the general feel of the tribes will most likely remain the same, some bonuses or disadvantages, features could still be changed in the future.
So don't get too hung up on this; enjoy the data nonetheless :)

7/13/2017 11:17:18 PM #7

Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't trust any conclusions regarding domain selection that were drawn purely out of this data; there are just too many variables involved in that. I'd advise against reading into the data any further than what it's meant to portray - general community sentiment towards the information on each starting tribe that we currently have available. I do think it will be interesting if we conduct similar polls at future milestones in development, so that we get another "axis" to analyze (how sentiments towards each tribe shift as more information is released and we get closer to domain selection, where those at the aristocracy and nobility tiers will have "locked in" their tribe selection.)

7/14/2017 12:24:27 AM #8

I'm happy that the two of you have jumped all in on this little project. None of this is planned, it is all just spontaneous cooperation.

My goal with this was to take a small subset of future players and in turn have them give us a glimpse on what the future trend of tribe choice could be for the player base as a whole at release should the situation not be changed in the future by whatever official information is further released that affects character choice.

It has been important for me to see the result numbers change with each and every poster. That has allowed me a first hand glimpse of this as if I was reading a graph. The spontaneous cooperation has allowed the results to have quality control which further insures the quality of the results.

I am definitely looking forward at what you come up with in terms of extrapolations you guys come up with from these results as more results come in.

My only suggestion in the future would be to think about how to run the next one as we get bigger and bigger information dumps. We are about to get a video in Caspian's State of Elyria. Who knows what kind of changes that may have. Who knows, some of these folks may wish to change their votes.

At some point, we may need to look into changing the #1 tribe pick into having a 2.0x multiplier.

7/15/2017 8:07:36 AM #9

Posted By MoonChaser at 11:40 PM - Thu Jul 13 2017

Thank you, it's fun working on this and nice to see the current state displayed in graphs.
I'm looking forward to more people contributing to the poll and it'll be interesting to compare the results with future polls for when we'll have more information on the tribes such as clothing and architecture.

To remind everybody:
These are but prelimary impressions of how a subset of the community has voted. We're still in pre-alpha and while the general feel of the tribes will most likely remain the same, some bonuses or disadvantages, features could still be changed in the future.
So don't get too hung up on this; enjoy the data nonetheless :)

I think the biggest impact on tribe popularities will be for the 'uneducated' new joiners when the game officially opens up. I would expect there to be a flood of new blood flowing in, and suspect that the Brudvir and Janoa will get the lion's share being the larger and more physically focussed?

7/15/2017 8:24:43 AM #10

Posted By Imshada at 8:28 PM - Wed Jul 12 2017

That's on the "Distribution" tab, for those who are interested. Currently the most common response for each ranking is:

1. Brudvir (18.52%)
  2. Janoa (22.50%)
  3. Dras/To'resk (16.25%)
  5. Hrothi (20.00%)
  6. To'resk (15.00%)
  7. Hrothi (20.00%)

It's Jenoa/To'resk and not Dras/To'resk and the Neran aren't with the Waered. What are you even on about here?

7/15/2017 10:18:47 AM #11

Well done, though your standard deviation should be charted on your bar graph as error bars. It gives a better visual representation of the actual variance of each vote.

7/15/2017 10:48:24 AM #12

Posted By SoulSpark at 03:24 AM - Sat Jul 15 2017

Posted By Imshada at 8:28 PM - Wed Jul 12 2017

1. Brudvir (18.52%)
  2. Janoa (22.50%)
  3. Dras/To'resk (16.25%)
  5. Hrothi (20.00%)
  6. To'resk (15.00%)
  7. Hrothi (20.00%)

It's Jenoa/To'resk and not Dras/To'resk and the Neran aren't with the Waered. What are you even on about here?

Those aren't kingdoms, they're ties. At the time I wrote that, the Dras and To'resk had the same number of responses where they were ranked 3rd (coming out to 16.25% each,) and the Neran and The Waerd had the same number where they were ranked 5th (15.00% each.) We've had another 28 responses since I wrote that, so the numbers have probably changed, but the up-to-date ones are available on the sheet.

Posted By Karmine at 05:18 AM - Sat Jul 15 2017

Well done, though your standard deviation should be charted on your bar graph as error bars. It gives a better visual representation of the actual variance of each vote.

I really wish I could, but unfortunately Google Sheets doesn't support dynamic error bars. They have to be assigned directly, and can't be pulled in from the data... plus, they also have to be the same across the entire series. Google Sheets is awesome and most aspects of it are super powerful, but its graphs have always been a bit lackluster compared to, say, Excel. I'll probably use Octave or something to create some much better graphs once the responses stop coming in.

On another note, I've now finally got it set up to where responses can be pulled into the spreadsheet automatically without the need for me to constantly keep an eye on the forums for new posts. I have it set up to check for new responses on the poll thread every 30 minutes, and it'll update the sheet with the rankings from any new comments it sees. No more waiting hours for your rankings to show up because I'm asleep! Hooray!

EDIT: Looks like it runs at :15 and :45 after the hour, in case you're wondering how long you'll have to wait. :P

7/15/2017 11:24:17 AM #13

First tribe relationships now this, Imshada is spoiling us, well done mate!

7/15/2017 11:30:47 AM #14

Thanks! Hopefully this stands as evidence of my dedication to the community, rather than to my incredible lack of anything better to do with my time. :)

7/15/2017 1:14:02 PM #15

Can someone please just tell me what the most liked is and what the least liked is? I can't handle all this weird graphical data baloney about things I don't even understand. I aint no quantum physicist.