COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Do the Waerd deserve their own Kingdom?

After listening to some discussions by the nobles of my kingdom, some people there are starting to question whether or not the Waerd should have their own kingdom. Their rationale is that the Waerd, due to their divisive mechanics and unique communities, are better suited to exist as divided enclaves populated by say, a group of friends that want to build a small community together, rather than a united kingdom with a central government and an army. Much of the discontent coming from the nobility is that a kingdom with low IP may be forced to pick Waerd, which will likely mean that the nobility will be forced to have their domains be subject to the Waerd's mechanics. Another factor to consider is that a significant percentage of the nobility would prefer to have Neran communities due to their "medieval" aesthetic. A potential solution to these problems would be to remove the Waerd kingdom and making all Waerd live in enclaves, and instead have two Neran kingdoms on a single server. This would satisfy some of the desire for Neran domains as well as preventing a dilemma where a low IP kingdom is forced to pick the Waerd even if they do not want them.

What do you think about this proposal?

Edit: Made it more clear that I am not proposing to remove the Waerd entirely, I am just proposing to remove the Waerd kingdom and have the Waerd live exclusively in enclaves.

7/25/2017 12:52:53 AM #1

You do realize that during the QA today the developers addressed this issue and other related concerns? Between this information, plenty of people professing to wanting to play the Waerd, posting this "proposal" on an account that has a mayor pledge at highest, and not disclosing your kingdom doesn't lend you much credence.

7/25/2017 12:53:15 AM #2

Dont worries you have lot of free times to think about that x)

I dont like the idea of killing a Race only because some ''noble' dont want to play them.

It may be a Waerd kingdom but im pretty sure settlements will have mix races on them.

7/25/2017 12:55:29 AM #3

Posted By VanHarsen at 8:53 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Dont worries you have lot of free times to think about that x)

I dont like the idea of killing a Race only because some ''noble' dont want to play them.

It may be a Waerd kingdom but im pretty sure settlements will have mix races on them.

I didn't mean killing a race, what I meant is that the Waerd exist only in enclaves and not as a unified kingdom.

7/25/2017 1:35:15 AM #4

This topic was pretty much already covered by the Q&A earlier.

ref This game was a dream. Its dead now.

7/25/2017 1:35:53 AM #5

Didn't the developers say that no Kingdom would have one full tribe? But that it would be diverse?

Honestly, the fact that the players will able to change the tribe culturally afterwards doesn't leave much room to complain.

But on to your point, it is very hard for me to even imagine a Weard majority kingdom. But I do look forward to seeing a crazy ruler make it work on the duchy level atleast.

7/25/2017 2:01:37 AM #6

Posted By DoctorFaust at 8:35 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

But I do look forward to seeing a crazy ruler make it work on the duchy level atleast.

I'll take that as a challenge. xD

To address the question/suggestion in the OP, the idea of the Waerd being less common than the other tribes doesn't strike me as strange, but the idea of them being subservient to a ruler from a different tribe does. Seeing them constrained to a smaller geographic area might make sense, but I'm not sure how it would work for a fully Waerd community to exist under a non-Waerd king. That opens up a whole can of worms with regard to integrating a communal society into a capitalist one. How would you tax a Waerd settlement or county if they don't use currency or tax their own citizens? It just becomes a mess.

One alternative (that I don't really think SBS should do, but it at least makes more sense) would be to split up one of the kingdoms containing the more popular tribes, like the Janoa and To'resk, then convert the Waerd into a set of independent duchies. This would obviously suck if any of the monarchs do want Waerd, but if not, it lets the Waerd exist independently without being under the control of a tribe they have no desire to serve. My personal stance is that no one tribe should be treated differently, but if SBS is getting flak because none of the existing monarchs want The Waerd for personal reasons, then I suppose it's an option. The other option (as was mentioned by Caspian in Discord today, I believe) is to separate all 8 of the tribes, resulting in 8 kingdoms instead of 6. This would result in the PC kings not being forced to pick a kingdom that they feel will "gimp" their ability to please their already-committed followers; it would, of course, leave each PC kingdom slightly smaller, and there would be at least two NPC kings on each server, but given that it's the established communities that are making a fuss about this to begin with, I think that's a fair concession.

7/25/2017 2:10:25 AM #7

Yeah, perhaps splitting the Waerd into independent Duchies and creating a second Neran kingdom would work better than having the Waerd under the control of different tribes.

7/25/2017 2:33:07 AM #8

issue is that conclaves as we thought of them would be towns or even counties with 1 tribe in them ie we would find a county of naren inside the toresk/ Jona kingdom and be able to go a count and role a county of naren,

and today casp clarfied this by saying no they would be a % but you would be a toresk or jona leader over this mix of tribes. sure you could choose to be a personal naren leader of the mix but u would have more issues.

but it still kills the idea of naren nobilty among other tribes so that option is a no go.

so those thinking they could run a kypiq settlement or county within a naren kingdom need to get used to the fact there will be no such thing. it will be a naren settlement with kypiq in it...

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/25/2017 7:08:05 AM #9

Actually I foresee that the waerd would be the best ones to make a kingdom with, with a single collective identity and motive.

It just won't really have the dance of dynasties in it.

7/25/2017 8:45:22 AM #10

Posted By mandrake1980 at 04:33 AM - Tue Jul 25 2017

issue is that conclaves as we thought of them would be towns or even counties with 1 tribe in them ie we would find a county of naren inside the toresk/ Jona kingdom and be able to go a count and role a county of naren,

and today casp clarfied this by saying no they would be a % but you would be a toresk or jona leader over this mix of tribes. sure you could choose to be a personal naren leader of the mix but u would have more issues.

but it still kills the idea of naren nobilty among other tribes so that option is a no go.

so those thinking they could run a kypiq settlement or county within a naren kingdom need to get used to the fact there will be no such thing. it will be a naren settlement with kypiq in it...

AT start, always the same thing, the frame is as designed but after the show starts we player can try to do as we please.

Nobility is a big step to take for "foreign" tribe, but aristocracy is a lot less difficult. first you have mechanical systems that will help you try to get mayor, all you need is own land and secure the votes of enough other elders, and just like one may improve his standing with his family, one can work to improve his standing with his fellow elders, all you need is work and time.

As i already said elsewhere, things might not be available at launch, but that do not mean they will never be available, it only means that you have to think time line differently and work for your goal.

7/25/2017 1:26:43 PM #11

Definitely a no on two Neran kingdoms. I'm disappointed that this idea was even conceived. What about the people who want to play The Waerd, and want them to be a strong political force and Kingdom that have mesa style castles, not caves.

Furthermore, if your group of nobles want two Neran kingdoms they have to come and physically take The Waerd, in game.

7/25/2017 2:21:06 PM #12

As long as people make a rule that no one can take others' things I'm sure that resolve most of the issues people have with the waerd.

7/25/2017 2:38:37 PM #13

Posted By Deftly at 09:21 AM - Tue Jul 25 2017

As long as people make a rule that no one can take others' things I'm sure that resolve most of the issues people have with the waerd.

That is already the case for anyone who is not gentry or higher. The named do not have access to the communal property (no making alts and walking off with things).

7/25/2017 5:17:23 PM #14

Posted By Kaynadin at 10:38 AM - Tue Jul 25 2017

Posted By Deftly at 09:21 AM - Tue Jul 25 2017

That is already the case for anyone who is not gentry or higher. The named do not have access to the communal property (no making alts and walking off with things).

I thought they said that was a possible tweak but not base waerd

I don't know anymore.

7/25/2017 5:19:39 PM #15

To the op, yeah lorewise waerd kingdom doesn't make much sense. It's like If AC or their templars all combined and made a kingdom. Forming a kingdom limits what they can do for the queen as oppose to what they could do spread throughout the world so you think their loyal servants would want the most efficient method.

I don't know anymore.