COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Battle of The Beasts

alt text

The Canis Rabbit and the Ursaphant; two of Elyria's unique inhabits.

One is a pack hunter, the other a solitary creature, and both fearsome in their own right, vicious in a brawl.

The question is: Who would win?

Let us know your opinion!

-Miguel

\[T]/

2/12/2016 3:05:26 PM #31

Actually we can see it's hindquarters. The leftmost rabbit has it's back foot on the bison, and the bison's leg is directly below that. There may still be Bisfish out there though!

2/12/2016 3:09:03 PM #32

Oh so now I feel silly, never noticed that leg before. Too distracted by the killer rabbits. Thanks Gnoll!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/12/2016 3:09:27 PM #33

Haha no problem. It's much easier to see in the larger version of the picture.

2/12/2016 3:21:09 PM #34

Redstar, I think you're right in the size estimate of the Canis Rabbit, but the Ursaphant has been confirmed as only a little bit bigger than a grizzly bear. Bison are actually larger than Grizzly Bears, so that's a pretty good indication of the stopping power of a Canis Rabbit. "Slightly larger" than a grizzly would still only put it at about bison sized.

In fact, now that I look at the pictures again, they just might be to scale...

2/13/2016 2:13:11 AM #35

I would agree with those who said the sheer number of the Canis Rabbit would take down the Ursaphant with sheer numbers. If starvation and desperation was taken into effect with primal instinct taken over the C.Rabbit could be overtaken with just small misstep. Not really sure how quite these creatures are but if anything like our RL rabbit, but throw in Monty pythons rabbit. Yeah I would say the Bunny is gonna win. And because my 3 year old said so. =D

2/13/2016 8:16:17 PM #36

i think it's unfair to compare the full size version of the rabbit to a full size version of a bison, the bison is folded around and making it look smaller and it also looks like a youngling version of a Bison, not quite a calf but more of a young child that has been separated from the pack and picked off by the rabbits.

If the rabbits are comparable to a full size adult bison and the ursaphant is comparable to an overlarge adult grizzly bear, then the rabbits win hands down each time every time without contest.

The only thing the ursaphant has going for it is that it's got short tusks and it's weight, but thats simply negated by the speed and dexterity of a single rabbit, let alone them working together in packs.

2/14/2016 12:10:47 AM #37

1v1 the Ursa wins every time. 2v1 the Ursa wins every time.

I am not sure how many Canis Rabbits it would take to kill an adult Ursaphant. It takes a good number of lions to take down a cape buffalo, mainly because lions don't want to die. How many lions does it take to kill an elephant? too many, again self preservation. Why compare lions to crabbits? I have no idea, but it is impressive that 2.2 crabbits killed that bison. I just imagine that shifty little bastard delivered the fatal blow.

2/14/2016 12:53:46 AM #38

I want a canabis smoking rabbit duh.

2/15/2016 3:10:45 AM #39

only if the pack is sufficiently strong i doubt just 4 would be enough where as 40 would probably kill it without losses.

2/15/2016 3:22:40 AM #40

id like to point out its clearly a juvenile bison note its weak hind legs and softer looking fur small horns and the way its muzzle narrows at the middle

2/15/2016 3:25:10 AM #41

with the speed thing dont forget that both bears and elephants can clock 40k run speeds they arnt as slow as they look but yeah bison sized pack hunters would still win with ease.

2/17/2016 6:05:22 AM #42

A bit late to the party, but I’ve been ruminating on this subject for a few days and I think I've finally got a theory I'm somewhat happy with and can support with research.

References I used will be included as clickable links in the text. Those taken from an actual site rather than images will be starred, **like this.

Size Comparison

The first thing I felt was important to the animals was size. There's a big difference between rabbit-sized carnivores taking on something that's as large as an elephant, and wolf-sized carnivores trying to take down something as large as a bear. Though I've just joined the community and have yet to spend time in the IRC chat, I've scrolled through the earlier postings in this thread and made note of the *ursaphant's size.

Bison

Something I also noted was the size of the 'wabbits' in comparison to the bison that they had managed to take down, in the picture. I did a little bit of digging and came to a conclusion that the bison was not quite an adult.

With these numbers and the confirmation of the predators' size, it can be inferred that the adolescent hunted in the image is likely half the size of an adult.

Canis Rabbit

Ursaphant

To give a rough estimate of size in comparison to a person: This one's huge.

Combat

You can read the full break-down of wolves vs. bear by Hautamaki on the Reddit forums **here, and watch a little bit of the hunting strategy that wolves use, **here. I highly recommend clicking on the Reddit link.

The results of a fight between a pack of canis rabbits and a solitary ursaphant are, in reality, very dependent upon the situation and health of the combatants. Bears have much more explosive power and stamina than a wolf, but that strength doesn't mean much when the bear is fat and sluggish in preparation for hibernation or lethargic after waking from it. Though the biology of the two species in Elysia are rather unknown, the pros and cons of the mutations can be made with educated guesses.

With this information, a wolf-rabbit could, in theory, use its powerful hind legs to leap upon an ursaphant's back and rip into the herbi/omnivore's neck. However, a bear is **strong enough -- **(support) -- to rip apart a wolf with its claws; one successful swipe could grievously injure the canis rabbit, rendering the animal pretty much useless or at the very least, weakened, for the rest of the fight.

The canis rabbits appear to have a short snout, as well; it is assumed that, unless they can unhinge their jaw like a snake, the gripping power or size of their bite might fall a little short compared to their wolf brethren. In addition, the ursaphant has tusks, which will multiply its deadliness in spades during a charge in comparison to a bear's.

Conclusion already stated by others / TL;DR

All in all, the results of a stand-off between a pack of Canis Rabbits and an Ursaphant will largely be dependent upon pack size and the prey's state of health.

If a, presumably, mated pair hunt together (there are only two adults pictured in the reference image, accompanied by what looks to be a pup), then theoretically, it will be extremely difficult for them to defeat an ursaphant. In larger pack sizes, however, their losses might be minimized when trying to take down the mammal by utilizing effective pack strategy to wear out the ursaphant.

Either way, the canis rabbits will have to work pretty hard to bring it down.

2/17/2016 9:13:46 PM #43

Caeoltoiri congratulations on winning the forums. You are super, and your post is super, and super, just super!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/17/2016 9:15:06 PM #44

You win, good sir.

Alt text

\[T]/

2/18/2016 2:21:56 AM #45

I wish I put that much effort into my research papers for college, haha- thank you, though!