COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Lantern Shield Design Experience

Introduction of an idea

Well it's taken me far too long to introduce to you the community my ideas concerning the design experience I've received as a part of backing Chronicles of Elyria. I had initially written an email to the developers who have expressed a desire to see feedback on these forums to my proposal.

However, my proposal is not for an optimal weapon. The shield is not immediately recognized for its tactical value. Historically it is not often used, or even well known. Arguably it is not even a worthy alternative to a simpler buckler. I don't know about any of these details. I just know the Lantern Shield is exciting, unique, and fascinating to me.

I stumbled upon this renaissance weapon design when looking for symbology for the gaming group I lead within the Imperium Organization that supports the space sim juggernaut that Star Citizen promises to be. Much like Chronicles of Elyria, there is enormous promise in a game that has generated a lively community that supports the development of the game itself. To represent the various virtues of those I had come to know in my little sphere of fellow backers I came to recognize the light of intellect, the gauntlet of might and perseverence, the (retractable) sword of measured aggression, the shield of service to others. These virtues were important to those I played with and I was excited to see them exemplified in a single artifact. The spikes of ingenuity and unorthodoxy could also find their way into Lantern Watch symbolism but I hadn't thought of that till writing this.

Anyway, the Lantern Shield had found a home among my pals as our brand. I hoped to bring that brand in a notable way into a game as something of note, something more than a .bmp on an in game coat of arms. The design experience offered at the kickstarter phase of CoE's early stages offered just this sort of novel tribute to the Lantern Shield and it's meaningfulness to me and mine. It has become the Icon of my little group of friends within Lantern Watch, a group you are welcome to visit and consider joining as well if you are moved to do so.

We may have started celebrating our mutual interest in a space sim and similar games; though now, we have expanded to encompass backers of Chronicles of Elyria. Lantern Watch members are culled from Star Citizen fans, and from neighboring and distant kingdoms and duchies within these Chronicles. So if the values I've exemplified in the symbol of the Lantern Shield are of interest to you, you may find a home among us in the Lantern Watch.

3/4/2018 3:25:52 PM #1

What is a Lantern Shield?

It is historically a weapon of 16th Century Italy, when I imagine swords were lighter, and the fencing schools that taught the use of a lantern for distraction and such paired themselves with the ingenuity of creative engineers. Immediately one may criticize the design for it's complexity and tactical value. I'm not a fencer, but a fan of daring engineering and bold design. I'm biased toward any argument that may support the use in combat of such weapons, while secretly harboring doubts as to the varacity of these arguments.

Structurally the Lantern Shield is a buckler, with a retractable blade that extends nearly parallel to the forearm. It juts out past the serrated edge of the shield just below a gauntlet. Above the forearm in the rear of the shield is fastenend the lantern that gives the weapon it's name, whose light passes through the shield through a shuttered aperture. On the face of the shield itself are numerous spikes and hooks designed to trap and break an opponents blade.

*Dugdale-Pointon, TDP. (19 April 2004), Lantern Shield, http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_lanternshield.html

This video is useful in familiarizing yourself with this fascinating bit of obscure military armament.

3/4/2018 3:26:03 PM #2

How would a Lantern Shield work in Chronicles of Elyria?

I recognize that a direct analog to the historical Lantern Shield may not be practical and may be difficult to animate, or otherwise craft a digital version of in game. There are particular functional elements of the Lantern Shield I feel are notable.

1. A light

A player would use to disorient foes in dark environments.

2. A gauntlet

Used primarily for protecting the hand, secondarily for striking while the retractable blade is not extended.

3. A retractable sword

Not intended as a primary weapon, but to supplement a main weapon with. LIkely used for parries, and other off hand attacks. I imagine it only used to thrust or swing at an opponent only in the most advantageous of situations. Though, how much the game can present this as gameplay is a significantly important question to me.

4. A weaponized edge or surface to a buckler shield

This would make shield bashes somewhat more of a bladed or piercing attack.

5. Spikes, Hooks, and or Spines

Functionality making the spines and spikes for trapping or delaying of an opponents weapon a possibility.

3/4/2018 3:26:17 PM #3

Caveats to the proposed features

Now it may not be desirable or feasible to incorporate some of the later features without designing an entirely new fighting system based on the use of this weapon. The level to which I have backed is not that encompassing. So it may be that some of these features may be muted, leaving some aspects of the Lantern Shield, if articulated at all, as merely cosmetic.

The light might be a function, but it's ability to blind a player is likely to be less pronounced as it might be against NPCs or animals.

A gauntlet attached to a buckler may not have much more than some marginal defensive features with little additional practical purpose. combined with serrated edges and surfaces it could be used to explain why a user may do more damage when conducting a shield bash than with a more typical shield or buckler.

The blade may be problematic from a designers point of view as this is essentially a punch dagger. How would such an iconic aspect of the shield be rendered without requiring animations for it's drawing/retraction, or swinging/punching while attacking with this part of the weapon. How effective would off hand parries be with an extended blade? Would these be animated? I worry a good deal about this feature of the design.

I'm much less worried about the protrusions and spikes incorporated into the Lantern Shield design. You'll note that in my avatar for Lantern Watch I've dispensed with them completely. The retractable sword alone can be enough to explain why there are bonuses or penalties to harrying an opponents attacks without these. Although it may be fun to aim an attack specifically at the shield to shear such things off. A dismaying response to a Lantern Shield wielder who feels his off hand sidearm intimidating.

I see a number of other ways to adapt some of these elements to game design. Blunting some of the protrusions, or simply making a detailed surface rather than a smooth one with sharp lines rather than purposeful weaponized spikes and the like. Allowing for the surface of the shield to be used to carry livery of some kind and still explaining why it is dangerous to have one dragged across your face with prejudice. This could reduce polygons I'm guessing, as I would think spikes from knuckles and the center of the shield could be difficult to design and artistically odd.

One could imagine a less uneven spike festooned surface and enhancing other features of the design instead. Maybe not to the degree that Lego has done.

Possibly closer to what has been done in Final Fantasy.

I am not entirely displeased with how Conan Exiles has played with a variant of the Lantern Shield

Ultimately, I anticipate the most problematic feature of this design proposal, and the hardest to adopt to the games combat mechanics will be the retractable blade. Final Fantasy retained this in their game. I doubt Lego had as great a hurdle to overcome when they did so as well. Conan Exiles dispensed with both the blade and the entrapping spikes and weaponized edges and simply made an ornate glowy shield. I hope the design I propose can find a happy medium between the historical and the cartoonish. I feel that how this is treated could give players as much to discuss and imagine as they do the "lantern shield" of the League of Legends game used by the Thresh character. A weapon as unique as this needn't be the most optimal, but if at least viable could present a wonderful way to stand out. Either as a game, as a player, or even as a group of players boldly patrolling a cities or battlefield with such a fantastic design.

3/4/2018 3:26:28 PM #4

Potential Concessions

As you may observe in my Avatar and in the animated .gif in the original post, artwork I've commissioned of the Lantern Shield dispenses entirely with the edges, spikes, and other shield bashing enhancements in favor of a more smooth and presentable surface for displaying livery.

As for gameplay I imagine that retractable sword being the most demanding element to adapt to game design. If it is simply used as a graphical representation to represent why a punch using the edge of the shield was more damaging than that of another shield's on edge bashing animation I'd be somewhat satisfied. It would require some effort to animate the uniqueness of this weapon design though.

3/4/2018 3:26:39 PM #5

Perceived benefits of the design

My sci-fi version of this has been described as a space saving construction. In some ways this fantasy/historical simulation is not terribly different.

This version of it could be similar in that a torch/lantern could be maintained at the same time as one's defenses. It could be argued that glowing rocks/potions/magical fires could be used instead of a lantern. This could be just as easily incorporated into other versions of the Lantern Shield without invalidating the design.

Similarly an offhand offense could be maintained at the same time as a defense. If combat allows for an offhand weapon/shield "punch" this weapon affords this opportunity as well as maintaining a defense. The retractable blade could be used as an offhand weapon, a backup weapon, possibly even a removable weapon allowing it to be detached and used in the primary hand should the wielder suffer a disarm. (Though I'm not enthused by this idea.)

If combat involves trapping an opponents weapon, this is a viable means to practice that technique without losing a shield. A forked offhand sword, and other weapon traps used in fencing do not generally grant the benefit of being attached to a shield.

3/4/2018 3:26:54 PM #6

Why this design would be needed instead of simply carrying more conventional gear.

To duplicate the functionality of a Lantern Shield a player would need to carry a lantern or torch. Generally this involves holding nothing else in the hand. This design not only frees the hand, but allows the simultaneous equipage of both a shield and some offensive capacity.

If a player were to equip a normal buckler they would still have an open hand to use for an offhand weapon. They would not also be able to carry a light source. If the shield were somehow enhanced with glowing materials and they carried an offhand weapon it could be argued that they have successfully duplicated the functionality of this shield design. However, this offhand weapon is far easier to disarm. The light enhancements are probably not as low tech or possibly less effective than a simple oil lantern.

The difficulty of disarming the offensive capacities of a Lantern Shield means that a tumble that deprives a wielder of a main weapon still allows them to retain their sharpened edges, spikes, and retractable blade should they need to retrieve their armament from a hostile environment. A convenience made more worthy if that primary weapon is lost in the dark.

Then there is the cool factor of a Lantern Shield. I personally imagine fencing an opponent where I tie up his primary weapon with my own and with a "Snikkt" (Two Ks so as not to ire Marvel) that retractable blade finds a warm meaty home.

3/4/2018 3:27:07 PM #7

Concerns About Heat and Light Discipline

Some excellent questions were raised concerning the light sources heat and whether it would interfere with the wielder's vision. I have brought forward some of my response and elaborated on the virtues of a light source as a tactical weapon. A lantern flame is little hotter than a typical candle, and considerably smaller and less intense than that of an open torch. As these are easily bearable I don't think heat is a concern.

Naturally there is no reason to adhere precisely to historical designs. Which opens up the possibility of using light sources that do not even entail flames or heat. These could be a variety of alchemical, biological, naturally occurring geological artifacts like crystals, arcane or magical effects.

In any case the lantern is well shielded such that light is only allowed to project through the hole in the shield and only when the portal is opened via a lever held in the gauntlet. Therefore the wielder is not blinded or revealed in the dark by his lantern until his gauntleted hand grasps the lever and opens the hasp on the shield face that allows lantern light to pour out into the darkness.

In many survival games darkness is a considerable thing to negotiate. Whether to prevent the spawning of mobs in Minecraft, or simply to allow for navigation and threat detection in most other games, a light in the dark is an appreciable advantage. Tactical use of such a light can benefit from some skillful applications.

Naturally it is doubtful the lantern would be anywhere near this bright but the idea of illumination to allow for navigation and threat detection is illustrated by this image well. Further, disciplined use of the activation of the Lantern could be a concern the devs may want to regulate.

An overly fast alternation between deep darkness and even the warm glow of a lantern could have deleterious effects on players sensitive to strobe effects. Even a slower rate of alternation could allow for use of the Lantern Shield or any covered lantern for use in signaling. Be it "One if by land, two if by sea" or morse code. Alchemical solutions, colored glass lenses or the like could be used to create colored lights.

Could colored lights have in game tactical effects as suggested in the graphic? Could the game develop to the point that infrared might be a spectrum some characters develop a skill to see in, and a lantern casting such light could extend their ability to see where other characters might not? Again, regardless of the form such a lantern takes.

Finally, concerning the tactical use of light in low light conditions as provided by a concealable light source such as the Lantern Shield, disciplined use of light may prevent the wielder of a Lantern Shield from falling prey to ranged weapons with careful use.

By activating the lantern, scanning an area, and then deactivating it; the wielder is then free to move through the darkness that his eyes are more readily able to adjust to for not having been exposed directly to the light source. Then after navigating some distance at an unexpected angle, the wielder can then reactivate the light and scan again. Making it more difficult for an archer or spearman to target the wielder in the dark due to his eyes repeatedly needing to adjust to the light exposure and darkness. Naturally the degree this may be effective is questionable and surely this effect would be less pronounced the further an archer is from the Lantern Shield/covered lantern wielder.

Finally, use of a light tactically in dark areas even today, though admittedly without fancy bucklers full of spikes, is practiced by law enforcement around the world.

I don't think the concept so alien as to lack a place in our fantasy setting, even as low fantasy as Elyria is at its onset.

3/4/2018 3:27:23 PM #8

The Lantern Shield as explored by other games

I'be brought forward much of the text of an answer to a comment below as it is important to know that other games and toys have explored the idea of the Lantern Shield already. I've proposed a similar design to Star Citizen myself.

Conan Exiles

has a Lantern Shield that is not very defined as of yet. I have used admin tools to equip it and it appears to be little more than a shield with a lamp.

The Conan Exiles Lantern Shield Wiki Page

The qaulity and depth of darkness in games reveals a delicate balance between realism and play-ability. It may well be enough to have a shield with a lantern or other light source in order to present value to its user. The Lantern Shield could be more than this but naturally there are considerable challenges to developing a Lantern Shield fully.

Final Fantasy

I do not play Final Fantasy games any more but I understand their version is both iconic and has multiple variations.

A Final Fantasy Lantern Shield Wiki Page

I think our Chronicles of Elyria Lantern Shield will look even more interesting and exciting than theirs.

I also think it would make a terrific toy, even more so than theirs!. CoE 8" action figures with pose-able arms and equipment. 3D printers to action!!!

Lego

The idea of printed toys comes to me from this application of the Lantern Shield as a Lego accessory.

What Lego can do, we can do, but better!

League of Legends

Here the Lantern Sheild term is used to identify a weapon but it is a wild variation on the design I have latched onto. This is something of a kasuri-gama/shield combination rather than a sword and shield combo.

It is another example though, that a unique and bold design can generate interesting and iconic artifacts for use as toys and as a way to promote CoE through new channels such as toys, jewelry, and other merchandise. These could act like billboards and other advertising.

Every conversation we have about that interesting item or other can become a powerful word of mouth advertisement for both CoE and your own Kingdom/Duchy/County or town.

So whether it is a Lantern Shield or not, I bet there are ways to make your own heraldic CoE jewelry and other items. Check out sites like Zazzle and imagine what could be made!

3/4/2018 3:27:36 PM #9

Where might the Lantern Shield fit into lore?

I find the Kypiq to be my first choice as progenitors of the Lantern Shield idea. They have the kind of lack of focus that might just experiment with jamming too many pointy things onto a shield, "heck weld the shield to the gauntlet for stability and attach a lantern too" seems almost a natural progression of Kypiq thought from what I read.

Furthermore there is an odd bit of lore here that adds to the Kypiq appeal as makers of Lantern Shields, and that is their sun worship.

The Kypiq believe the sun’s disappearance during the Longest Night represents the spirit of the sun, weary from its long job of warming and enlightening the world, growing bored and turning away from its job to focus its attention elsewhere. [3]

The Kypiq believe that it falls on them to recapture the sun’s interest, to entertain and delight the spirit of the sun so that it will return its attention to the Kypiq and their forests and bring life-giving light and warmth, once more.

The three years of Sunsleep makes a long period of elaborate parties, feasts, and entertainments, capped by the Sunsight Festival, where Kypiq use lanterns, simple fireworks and other lights to recreate a raucous sort of daylight in the middle of Longest Night. Travelers to Kypiq lands at this time are often taken in and fed, the Kypiq inviting them to take part in their festivals to entice the sun back into the sky. These travelers often return with wondrous stories of a forest gleaming with the glow of thousands of paper lanterns, the sky itself alight with bursts of color and sound.

This time of darkness and cold also brings communities together in unique ways that are responsible for breathtaking works of art. These works are rare, captivating works that occur in a unique moment of time, often representing once in a lifetime, or indeed once in several generations, spectacles.

A shield that allows you to participate in the Sunsight Festival without being without a shield is perfect for the Lantern Shield. Combine this with a Kypiq's low light vision and it could be imagined how the sudden presentation of lantern light to a Kypiq at night might be an effective deterrent to those charged with keeping the peace among the treetops. I chuckle at this tactic used to supplement the Hrothi distrust of the Kypiq.

Use by Kypiq seems to also supply a natural means of balancing the shield if it is deemed in any way OP, as blocking with it sufficiently heavy blows may transfer an amount of blunt damage regardless of the weapon blocked. Being that Kypiq are susceptible to blunt damage using a lantern shield in combat against heavy weapons or larger tribes of mann may have tactical disadvantages to a Kypiq. Perhaps a larger shield adapted to another user may be less susceptible to this particular effect, or perhaps such a deficiency may carry over through the adaptation process?

With the introduction of Kypiq Ironwood would they build Lantern Shields from it? If there is a Kypiq alternative to Iron, would they have an alternative to lanterns? Interesting possibilities.

Would the Mokshin find the Lantern Shield an appealing weapon?

A second choice for a tribe to have first engineered a Lantern Shield may be more appropriately the Hrothi. Defending a tunnel with such a weapon seems both ideal and problematic to a race that sees just fine in the dark and where a blade in the shield itself may not be as advantageous in an environment allowing greater freedom of movement. It is this sort of agile use of the Lantern Shield as a dueling tool that has me favoring the Kypiq for its use. Perhaps if Hrothi were to purchase such weapons they would simply not use the retractable blade and only use the Lantern when needing to blind an opponent. Come to think of it, the Hrothi do tend to squabble among themselves so blinding each other in combat might be a respectable tactic.

3/4/2018 3:59:22 PM #10

I like it. It's very novel and thus an interesting addition to the game. :)

3/4/2018 5:06:36 PM #11

That is... very strange. I approve!

3/4/2018 5:15:20 PM #12

Would love to see it used on some stealth raids.

3/5/2018 7:27:50 AM #13

It looks like an excellent dungeon-crawling apparatus. Why did I not know of this before? Why was it not in any version of Dungeons & Dragons that I knew about back in the day?

Perhaps the fuel and flame of the lamp were a dangerous combination in actual combat. Perhaps the complexity of the device made it cost more than it was believed to be worth in combat. A spiked buckler is much cheaper to make, easier to learn to use, and perhaps nearly as effective, with less risk of self-injury.

3/5/2018 10:48:02 AM #14

Posted By Sidhe Drac MacGillean at

Isn't that the logo for the United Federation of Planets?

3/5/2018 12:08:04 PM #15

I can see why you want to design this for Elyria. It is really cool looking, and sounds useful but also probably expensive and somewhat difficult to maintain.

Shieldwall Strong!