COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Can I dig?

Take Space Engineers, you can dig underground.

All I'm asking is can kingdoms, however long it takes, bore a hole through the mountain?

3/14/2018 9:29:47 AM #1

There will be a tunneling system. But not as complex as a voxel game, it's going to work differently from those games.

There is an actual tribe that lives under ground called the Hrothi so yes that is certainly possible.

3/14/2018 9:53:01 AM #2

I imagine you wont be able to just dig a crater into the middle of a village, but I'm sure there will be the ability to create a mine in various locations throughout the world, and actually be able to enter said mine. Though I believe I read in a previous post from devs that the mines may collapse if not properly supported. (I could just be dreaming that up though.)

I believe all men are capable of evil! We should not be of this world were good and evil not twined together.

AA3569 is the code you should use ;)

3/14/2018 11:57:54 AM #3

Posted By Gunghoe at 06:29 AM - Wed Mar 14 2018

There will be a tunneling system. But not as complex as a voxel game, it's going to work differently from those games.

There is an actual tribe that lives under ground called the Hrothi so yes that is certainly possible.

Oh, i tought that the fact that they are using VoxElyria to test the game was somehow related to the actual game using voxels, or something very similar. O.õ

3/14/2018 12:04:38 PM #4

Posted By Eurickdm at 06:57 AM - Wed Mar 14 2018

Posted By Gunghoe at 06:29 AM - Wed Mar 14 2018

Oh, i tought that the fact that they are using VoxElyria to test the game was somehow related to the actual game using voxels, or something very similar. O.õ

Negative... they are using voxelyria as a way to test other core mechanics before the full graphical interface is available.

3/14/2018 4:16:33 PM #5

Posted By Dekul at 09:04 AM - Wed Mar 14 2018

Negative... they are using voxelyria as a way to test other core mechanics before the full graphical interface is available.

I know that, but i tought that testing the game in a voxel environment meant that the game was going to use voxels or something similar A.K.A voxels being a core mechanic of the game.

3/14/2018 10:12:12 PM #6

They may be a part of how they render things, but terraforming above ground isn't a part of that. You could dig a tunnel through a mountain, or under a city, or a series of them as a dungeon below your keep however. There would just be an entrance point that served as a transition between the above ground environment and your tunnel system.

3/14/2018 11:26:13 PM #7

I do wonder though, when a tunnel collapses would land above it sink. In this way, could a tunnel be dug under a foe's wall and collapsed intentionally to create a weak point/break in that wall.

I believe all men are capable of evil! We should not be of this world were good and evil not twined together.

3/14/2018 11:34:23 PM #8

There will be an ability to dig holes to hide stuff etc but not terraform.

There will also be the ability to build underground dungeons.

3/15/2018 4:28:00 AM #9

Posted By Roarken at 10:26 AM - Thu Mar 15 2018

I do wonder though, when a tunnel collapses would land above it sink. In this way, could a tunnel be dug under a foe's wall and collapsed intentionally to create a weak point/break in that wall.

Probably would work like that, gotta put up supports so the tunnel doesn't cave in, in general. Biggest change compared to most games where you can dig like crazy and not even really worry about a cave in.

3/15/2018 6:57:56 AM #10

Tunneling to collapse a wall or tower is a key element in siege warfare. Trebuchets almost never actually bring down walls. Trebs destroy the top parts and window sections to remove the cover of archers and weaken the walls overall so a tunnel can better collapse the wall. This is also why towers became round, those damn corners are the weak points.

Or you can trebuchet a single section of wall with ten trebs all day long and night for a full month until it crumbles enough to get men through.

3/15/2018 7:53:51 AM #11

My concern with this is that it could easily be used to grief a town or village if a band of griefers wanted to dig a tunnel and intentionally collapse it right under the town center.

This could also be used by deviants to break in to houses, stores, banks, castles, just about anywhere. In addition, sewer tunnels could be collapsed to sabotage a city or cut off deviants travel.

The possibilities for even the simplest of features is truly amazing to me in this game.

3/15/2018 7:56:30 AM #12

Snipehunter - 03/08/2018 There's a tunneling system. You can't terraform the surface, but you can build a mine entrance into a mountain or cliff face and once inside it tunnel from there.

Snipehunter - 02/16/2018 "dig into the side of a mountain" maybe being a little bit of a vague term here. To be clear the tunnels are going to be their own instances, there is no terraforming the main world beyond the standard world dynamics of cutting stuff down, etc. etc.

I dont believe that this could be used to grief really unless you're building on a mountain and stuff

3/15/2018 11:23:47 AM #13

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 6:56 PM - Thu Mar 15 2018

Snipehunter - 03/08/2018 There's a tunneling system. You can't terraform the surface, but you can build a mine entrance into a mountain or cliff face and once inside it tunnel from there.

Well that's disappointing, would take some serious effort to even bring down a wall anyway. More so for someone not noticing.

3/15/2018 11:40:57 AM #14

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 03:56 AM - Thu Mar 15 2018

Snipehunter - 02/16/2018 "dig into the side of a mountain" maybe being a little bit of a vague term here. To be clear the tunnels are going to be their own instances, there is no terraforming the main world beyond the standard world dynamics of cutting stuff down, etc. etc.

I dont believe that this could be used to grief really unless you're building on a mountain and stuff

They have said it will be thier own instance ? Like we will have a loading screen ?

If I understand correctly, we will create the blueprint or place the entrance and continue constructing it, and once it's able to be entered we continue in a different instance once we get loaded inside ?

3/21/2018 9:55:39 AM #15

Wow my whole Hrothi plan revolves around the tunneling system. This is the first time I have ever heard instancing will be used. That kinda takes the wind out of my sails. Hope we get more info on whats going to happen being an entire tribe revolves around underground work.