COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA ORGANIZATIONS
Valycian Naval Academy & Shipyard [Ashland]

The Valycian Naval Academy & Shipyard

The Academy

The Valycian Naval Academy is a university in the port city of Valycion, capital of the Grand Principality of Valycia. Here, young men and women are trained and educated in all matters of seamanship as well as ship architecture and design.

The Academy is an institute of the state, with the Grand Prince at its head and personally invested in its success.

Academy graduates may serve on or even command ships of the Valycian Armada. Others will go on to build and design vessels of their own mark.

Ship captains are not required to have attended or graduated the Academy, so long as they are competent sailors. However, the Academy can educate a young sailor rapidly and affords them a certain level of prestige.

The Shipyard

The Shipyards are built to supply Valycia and the Kingdom of Ashland with a strong fleet of vessels, both for war and for trade. Ships are sold to merchants and guilds for commerce, while others are put into service for defense and logistics.

Skilled hands are needed to build these ships. Apprentices work with the master shipwrights to learn their trade through experience. Most young apprentices build small rafts or rowboats, while the larger boats and ships require the hard work and effort of dozens of skilled laborers.

A strong and capable navy is necessary to ensure both security and prosperity for Valycia and its citizens.

The Armada

The Armada performs three different but essential functions in service to Valycia:

Firstly, defense. Patrolling the coastlines and guarding vulnerable coastal villages from pirates or foreign invaders is paramount to all other tasks.

Secondly, logistics. Bulk resources and people need to move from place to place, and ships are often the most efficient means of doing so. The Armada does not serve as a form of public transportation, but rather serves the infrastructure, security, and development of the Principality.

Third, exploration. The vastness of the sea has been an impassable barrier for thousands of years. It is the goal and vision of sailors everywhere to travel beyond the horizon.

Structure

The head of the Valycian Armada is the Grand Prince of Valycia, and ultimately the King of Ashland, especially in times of war. In place of the Grand Prince, an Admiral will be appointed to oversee the Armada and its duties.

The Grand Prince will appoint a Headmaster to oversee the Academy and training of sailors, captains, and ship architects. A Master Shipwright will also be appointed, who will oversee the construction of ships and boats in the shipyards of the capital.

Finally, the Harbormaster will oversee incoming and outgoing trade, supplies, and materiel, as well as maintain records of ships in active service in the Valycian Armada.

Private Captains

Individuals, merchants, and guilds who are wealthy enough to afford to own a ship and its crew, or multiple, may offer their services to Valycia in exchange for payment.

In times of war, they may also join the Armada as an auxiliary vessel, and will be used in a support function to reduce the risk of damage or death, and to free up a warship for combat.

Information

If you are interested in sailing, shipbuilding, ship design, or simply want a guaranteed career in peace and in war, consider joining!

Please join Valycia's Discord Server HERE <--- (click)

See Valycia's Forum Post HERE <--- (click)

NA-W "Angelica"

5/17/2018 8:31:35 AM #1

I see our paths crossing eventually however in the beginning i'm going to most likely be a wandering merchant of land exclusively. After I gather a group of trustworthy salesmen and craftsmen this academy will be my first choice of where to go to sea about sea fare.

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

8/18/2018 9:50:02 AM #2

I look forward to potentially doing business with you!

NA-W "Angelica"