University and City
- Lore and Background
- OOC Details
- Recruitment Priorities
- Contact Info
Lore and Background
A coastal center of learning since distant antiquity, the Talqamar rests along the coast of the Duchy of Port Royale. Scholars travel from across the realm to share knowledge and advance the knowledge of Mann, to devote their lives to learning and to teaching the next generation. Of particular prominence are the Astronomers of the Observatory, the Inventors of the Institute for Ingenuity and Innovation, the Scribes of the Scriptorium, and the Alchemists of the Crucible.
At the gates of the city, there is a constant stream of scholars coming and going. Newly graduated crafters of all sorts seek their fortune in the guild halls across the duchy. Watchers trek to and from Morskaya in County Rusovich, documenting the movement of stars and making their predictions. Cartographers set out with the latest tools and methods into the wilds of Kargamum and beyond, mapping the untamed lands. Magi from Al-Khem can be seen coming and going, pursuing their esoteric goals.
Those arriving in the harbor will pass by the Port Royale Maritime Academy which trains the sailors, shipwrights, and naval architects who brave the seas of Elyria. The shipyards of the Talqamar are dedicated to constant innovation, producing the blueprints of the next generation of ships for mass production in the County of Freeman’s Grove and the capital of Port Royale.
Beyond the waterfront and the campuses, the Talqamar provides all of the amenities and employment options of a major city in a setting intended to maintain the quiet, scholastic atmosphere that has attracted the wise and educated to the site for centuries. Housing and markets are designed to be efficient yet in keeping with the idyllic atmosphere.
The Talqamar is the center of learning and education in Port Royale, and a premier academic destination of the Kingdom of Alesia. Port Royale’s nobility are committed to working together to create the best possible experience for players new and old, and an education in the skills needed to make a living are a key part of that. With investment commitments from the Count of the Talqamar, the Duke of Port Royale, and most of the Port Royale nobility, the Talqamar is primed to serve the needs of all Alesians seeking to improve their skills.
While the Talqamar is primarily a university city, economic activity abounds as well. The research on navigation technology and naval architecture naturally feeds a shipbuilding industry. A booming market district feeds the insatiable demands of researchers and students alike. For graduates, recruiters are waiting to employ their skills throughout Port Royale. Paper and Ink makers will be vital, as will woodworkers for the shipbuilding industry, sailors, and fishermen. Smiths and glassblowers will have their products in high demand to feed the schools focused on Tinkering and Alchemy.
Employment opportunities abound for any and all interested residents. If your niche goals are not on the list below, you are still more than welcome both in the Talqamar and within the wider Port Royale Duchy Community where surely you can find a home. The below are specifically roles that the Talqamar city proper will have a need for:
- Teachers. Teachers are needed for all of the schools we support. Patrons are already identified to ensure funding to pay salaries. If any of the schools appeal to you, please reach out.
- Mayors. I expect 2-3 openings. Mayors interested in running towns focused on papermaking, inkmaking, logging/woodworking, shipbuilding, or farming/herding will surely find a good home here with plenty of demand for your raw materials. Mining and smithing will surely be needed, but it is hard to know in advance how likely such location specific resources will be to be found within the county borders.
- Scribes. While most graduates of the Scriptorium are likely to find work in other parts of the duchy and kingdom, especially Starwood County and County Rusovich, the Scriptorium has need itself for Scribes interested in work within its Great Library.
- Astronomers. The Observatory will always have the state of the art equipment for making observations of the stars. If you seek a career in astronomy, this is where you want to live.
- Astrologers. In coordination with County Rusovich, Astrologers are highly sought after to observe the skies and record the futures they foretell.
- Tinkerers and Inventors. The research efforts of the Institute of Ingenuity and Innovation are sure to push the technology of Elyria forward. If you want to be on the cutting edge, we have the teachers to teach you and the research grants to fund all of the mad science you can dream up.
- Merchants. Raw materials and finished goods will need to be sold, and merchant stall space will be provided to ensure goods can find their way to paying customers.
- Guards. Law and order are essential to the peaceful climate necessary for learning. Security is provided by the Blackguard of Port Royale, and all interested players are encouraged to join the duchy discord linked at the end of this post.
- Shipwrights. Shipbuilding is likely to be a major industry, so plenty of demand for shipwrights and shipyard workers.
- Paper and Ink Makers. All of the schools will have need for paper and ink, but the Scriptorium and the cartographers within the Observatory will surely have an insatiable appetite for both.
- Traders. Other counties within Port Royale are already in discussions about supplying food and lumber to feed the students and industries of the Talqamar. Traders are needed to facilitate this commerce.
- Tavern Keepers and Bards. What’s a harbor without some waterfront taverns and bars? Travelers will need a place to sleep and eat, so surely there will be good work for those seeking to run an inn.
As the capital of the Talqamar (County), contact info is the same as above. Please contact me directly on Discord @Quintero#5943 or join the Port Royale Duchy Discord.