COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Medicine and Trade in Angelica

I have noticed that while there are a lot of schools few of the schools in the Angelica Server are looking to research medicine and the healing arts as a specific focus. This has me worried as disease and plague might still be in the realms of possible challenges and world events. I am still new and have not yet had a chance to delve deep into the Angelica threads but are there people who are looking deep into starting research guild/schools to promote medicinal research and the containment of disease?

Also I know the dukes are looking for military hospital/healing systems but what is being done for the common folk? There seems to be risks in crafting and harvesting that could end with injury as a result. This could mean that healers are going to generally be needed as well as healers for war casualties. We know entering the wild spaces is going to be risky. We want to maintain trade between remote regions while we wait for towns and villages with safe stop over points to grow and develop. Meaning metals for tools can get to the best farming regions from the best mining and smelting regions. Thanks to the dangers of the wilds especially early on many people may get injured fighting bandits and various wild beasts in ways that require medicine and treatment from someone skilled to remove debuffs. If there aren't healers in regular villages and towns trained enough to do so then trade may grind to a halt as those willing to enter the wild country will be smaller and harder/more expensive to contract.

I think Kings and Dukes/Duchesses might need to consider stationing healers along with guards along important trade routes. To make sure that the roads are safer and trade can still flow. What do you guys think? Are my worries legitimate or am i blowing this out of the water?

Being normal is vastly overrated!

7/7/2018 2:32:27 AM #1

There are definitely people interested in medicine as well as its non-scientific sister discipline alchemy. You'll just have to ask around to find them or hope that they notice this post and comment.

With respect to the need for healing, safe to say it will be very important. But whether that means healers stationed with guards or simply a hospital is hard to judge at this point. A lot will depend on just how dangerous wilderness is, just how safe travel along roads will be and what kinds of injuries require a healer.

7/7/2018 8:34:51 AM #2

Your worries are solid as far as I am aware. There may not be many schools focused on medicine or pure healers overall this early on. I know many people who just plan to learn self-aid, along with a few of us healers here and there.

And like Hieronymus said, it's too early to tell exactly how much healing would be needed just to survive the day. But I'm also under the impression that we can worry about that once we're in the game.

Plus there are bound to be NPC Doctors/medics in the game before the players arrive, it may no be ideal, but chances are (some) people won't be left for dead.

7/8/2018 8:52:09 AM #3

Posted By DoctorFaust at 01:34 AM - Sat Jul 07 2018

Your worries are solid as far as I am aware. There may not be many schools focused on medicine or pure healers overall this early on. I know many people who just plan to learn self-aid, along with a few of us healers here and there.

And like Hieronymus said, it's too early to tell exactly how much healing would be needed just to survive the day. But I'm also under the impression that we can worry about that once we're in the game.

Plus there are bound to be NPC Doctors/medics in the game before the players arrive, it may no be ideal, but chances are (some) people won't be left for dead.

I wonder if we can pay Npc's to learn a trade like healing in contract. Then have them work as healers so people who don't want to learn that skill can still have access as needed.

7/8/2018 3:32:01 PM #4

Posted By Faustes at 03:52 AM - Sun Jul 08 2018

I wonder if we can pay Npc's to learn a trade like healing in contract. Then have them work as healers so people who don't want to learn that skill can still have access as needed.

Well players can't make their own contracts with NPCs, but NPCs will have contracts players can enter into with them. So to do what you're describing, there would have to be NPCs in the world who want to be healers and looking to study under someone else.

Theoretically possible, since NPCs are supposed to have their own goals and motivations in the game (ie NPC child is born, wants to be a healer, has a contract mechanism to study under another N/PC, etc), but the odds of such complexity seems rather low to me. However, I'm admittedly skeptical of just how complex AI can be.

7/8/2018 6:01:21 PM #5

There is no magic in CoE, so no magic spells that can heal you. I expect that there will be medicine in the form of herbs and potions, which you can learn at the herbalist or alchemist.

7/8/2018 7:47:15 PM #6

The basic healing potions and bandages maybe buy/trade at stores. I'm sure

7/9/2018 10:04:48 AM #7

Posted By Ilyria at 11:01 AM - Sun Jul 08 2018

There is no magic in CoE, so no magic spells that can heal you. I expect that there will be medicine in the form of herbs and potions, which you can learn at the herbalist or alchemist.

There is not "no magic" so much that real magic is very rare, and hard to come by and even harder to get any where with. the artifacts are all pretty magical in nature and there are several. But I was talking old style about the surgical/medicinal practice it was often called healing, that's why MMoRPGS coined the term for spells that forcibly increase hit points.

Healing magic would be bomb to learn but schools and teachers focusing on a mix of first aid, the healing aspects of alchemy (to battle disease and help deal with wounds in battle). They could also be used to care for knocked out players to keep them from spirit walking. This is probably a thing that will be needed a lot even if magical healing is not available (yet). Magic is not a non-thing so much as a rare thing, there is even concept art of a Mage laying waste to a city in the dev journals and intro pages.

8/7/2018 1:38:33 PM #8

I think magic will be so rare that it shouldn't even be considered in this thread. There will be few mages, and fewer yet being healing mages. I'm sure most towns/cities/baron outposts will have some kind of hospital even if its 1 or 2 doctors. As far as reasearching better surgical procedures i havent really seen anyone talking about that. My IRL wife plans to be an alchemst so I will probably rely on her healing herbs and potions. I think most commoners will be going to the market to buy them as well.

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

8/13/2018 9:56:27 PM #9

Posted By Hieronymus at 08:32 AM - Sun Jul 08 2018

Well players can't make their own contracts with NPCs, but NPCs will have contracts players can enter into with them. So to do what you're describing, there would have to be NPCs in the world who want to be healers and looking to study under someone else.

PCs can make their own contracts with NPCs I thought. There will be contract templates and depending on your bardic skill you'll be able to make different types of contracts of different levels of complexity. I was under the impression that contracts will be universal since this is replacing any 'questing' that is traditional in other MMOs. How else would you be able to create a marriage contract with an NPC (which has been confirmed)? One of us is missing something here, lol.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

8/19/2018 12:22:19 PM #10

There is actually a Medical School/Hospital in the works. Remember, while Academy/Schools need to have a focus, they can train in other fields as well.

8/19/2018 4:00:23 PM #11

That seems historical. There were only six medieval universities known for medicine -- and most of those were more well-known for other things (such as training clerics).

That said, there does seem to be an over-emphasis on military academies and trade schools, which were not at all historical, as military training was on an apprenticeship model.

So, we have the bite the bullet on historicity here. Less, prayer, more commerce and bloodshed -- with an equal lack of care for the sick.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/19/2018 6:09:05 PM #12

Well, it's a game and people will look to do what they think is interesting not what goes best with history.

I think we shall see an increase in interest with the medical arts based upon information coming out that shows just how important it is going to be.

8/19/2018 7:14:58 PM #13

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 11:09 AM - Sun Aug 19 2018

Well, it's a game and people will look to do what they think is interesting not what goes best with history.

I think we shall see an increase in interest with the medical arts based upon information coming out that shows just how important it is going to be.

agreed - and as medical arts gains some attention, I am sure people will start seeing potential benefits behind medical practices and that it likely extends past simply refilling a healthbar.

8/20/2018 6:23:41 PM #14

Of course that's true, and my point wasn't that people should try to reenact history (which isn't even possible given the concept of the game). Rather, my point is that the developers are aiming for an unheard of degree of social realism in this game -- and that is what many of us are most excited by. Looking at history is a good way of seeing whether some game design decision leads to or undermines that goal.

I don't think we will have monasteries of praying monks ruining peoples lives in COE. Rather, I think lives will be ruined by thugs and knights errant -- just like in every other game -- but hopefully the lives that are ruined will be more vivid and socially real than they usually are.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/21/2018 3:38:48 PM #15

Posted By Beathan at 11:23 AM - Mon Aug 20 2018

Of course that's true, and my point wasn't that people should try to reenact history (which isn't even possible given the concept of the game). Rather, my point is that the developers are aiming for an unheard of degree of social realism in this game -- and that is what many of us are most excited by. Looking at history is a good way of seeing whether some game design decision leads to or undermines that goal.

I don't think we will have monasteries of praying monks ruining peoples lives in COE. Rather, I think lives will be ruined by thugs and knights errant -- just like in every other game -- but hopefully the lives that are ruined will be more vivid and socially real than they usually are.

Well I personally hope there are plenty of similarities to point out in comparison between history and Elyria. As to whom will be ruining peoples lives in game? I would imagine it will come from all angles including from Npc's