CCJ #13: Textiles

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W. B. Yeats, “Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven”

Anansi's Spiderweb – Bitak-style dyed pattern from Vlisco

Few materials have protected and inspired like cloth. Silk has gowned Chinese royalty for 4500 years, linen the first men from the caves and the Pharaohs, and wool the Roman emperors and Norman peasant alike. The lexicon of cloth is everywhere in the fabric of life, its language a common thread of existence. The Moirai guide the fates, spinning as the infant is knit together in the womb, measuring as the newborn is swaddled in cloth and cutting the aged thread to be draped in cloth again. Cloth has hidden the powerless and revealed the powerful, protected, exposed, gathered, and torn apart from before the dawn of time.

The thread

Most fibers can be spun into thread, with varying degrees of difficulty; generally speaking, the longer and rougher each fiber, the easier it is to form thread or yarn.

Cotton

Species of cotton grow in nearly every hot, tropical climate. The plant’s seeds are surrounded by thin, crinkled filaments of almost pure cellulose, which, after the seeds are removed, can be spun out into crisp threads. The seeds themselves have a significant amount of oil, and can be ground and used as feed for livestock. The light weight and pure white color of cotton make it a natural base for dyed clothing.

Wool

A variety of animals grow wool, distinguished from hair by its elasticity and “scaly” outer surface. Goats, sheep, llamas, rabbits, camels, and muskox all grow warm coats of wool in cold months, to be harvested annually each spring.

Sheep especially are known for producing a waxy coating called lanolin, which is usually removed along with dirt and grime by scouring the wool in a potash bath, stale urine, or plain hot water. Lanolin can be recovered, purified, and used to waterproof woolen fabrics, as well as for lubricating moving parts, preventing rust and corrosion on metal, softening and preserving tanned leather, and healing cracked or broken skin.

Once cleaned, wool is carded to puff up the fibers and caused some interlocking of the outer scales before being spun into woolen yarn or alternatively combed to align long fibers (and remove short ones) for worsted yarn. Short fibers removed in combing wool (or old woolen cloth) was historically recycled into shoddy, a fabric now synonymous with goods of low quality. Woven woolen yarn can be made into dense felt by milling: pounding or pinpricking the wet cloth to force more interlocking of the fiber’s outer scale to form broadcloth and similar textiles.

Bast fiber

Many plants have a woody stem, grown from long strands of flexible cellulose strengthened with lignin. These stems can be retted with the moisture of dew, or underwater in a bog, to rot away the pectin that holds plant cells together, while retaining the lignin and cellulose that give the plant structure. The balance of cellulose and lignin determines the strength of these bast fibers to a large extent.

Fibers higher in lignin, like jute, sisal from agave, kenaf, or coir from coconut, are stronger and less flexible and often used for cord and rope. Fibers higher in cellulose, like hemp, flax, and nettle, have been used for thousands of years to produce cloth textiles of varying grades, most of which are resistant to mold and mildew.

Silk

Silk fibers are doubled strands of protein, nearly triangular and translucent. These qualities allow the fibers to act as miniature prisms and are responsible for the renowned glow of light through silken fabrics. Silk is secreted by the silkworm to form its cocoon from a single long filament. If the moth exits the cocoon the threads will be cut as it chews free and the quality of the silk degraded, but if the worm is killed by boiling before its metamorphosis, the single thread of its cocoon can be as much as a mile long!

Detail of spider silk cape - Victoria and Albert Museum

The Kypiq silk is known to be more akin to spider silk, which is far more rare as a textile in earth’s history. Where silkworms can be easily raised in captivity on a diet of mulberry leaves until they dutifully spin, spiders are carnivorous and cantankerous. While “milking” a spider for silk is possible, there are also some spiders that spin fantastically large webs. The Darwin’s Bark Spider spins webs across entire rivers in Madagascar, with primary draglines of up to 70 feet and webs up to 10 square feet. The Golden Silk Orb-weaver is part of a family of spiders around the world that spin smaller, but still large webs, strong enough to catch and kill large prey like bats and small birds. These spiders are also the source of most textile spider silk, including a handful of modern garments (and the video of the process is really quite fascinating!).

A method of collecting spider silk

Salamander fur

Described by both Roman and Chinese historians in the first century AD, asbestos has been woven into fabrics for thousands of years. Its near-magical properties were sometimes explained with stories of venomous creatures who lived in fire and left their fireproof coats behind in cracks in the rocks.

Arizona Chrysotile asbestos, Smithsonian Museum of Natural History

The common mineral that is actually found in long seams is called chrysotile; the fiber length in most deposits is an inch or less, and fibers long enough to weave directly are rare. More commonly, short fibers could be rubbed onto a thin thread with a little wax or oil to hold them. The cloth once woven would be thrown into the fire, where the thread would burn out and leave a pure, fireproof cloth behind. Asbestos cloth was also used in warfare for its protective qualities, notably by King Henry V during the siege of Rouen. [1]

Fire resistance

Asbestos is by far the superior choice for fireproof cloth, but good fiber is hard to find and hazardous to work with and wear. Common plant fibers like flax and cotton are primarily formed of cellulose, which can ignite and burn easily, and so are poor choices. Wool, unlike many animal protein fibers, has a relatively large amount of water in its structure. This makes wool very difficult to ignite, and it hardly sustains a flame. A felted woolen cloth would be a passable backup to asbestos, so long as it is not exposed too long to direct flame.

The Warp and Weft

Warps are vertical yarns, while wefts run horizontal. The weaver uses a loom designed to hold the warp threads steady and at a constant spacing. During weaving, the weft is drawn over and under through the warp threads, and the spacing of the interworking defines the type of weave. Warp-weighted (left) and Vertical (right) Looms [2]

Weaves are sometimes designated as fractions, in which the numerator indicates the number of warp threads spanned by a weft thread on the face of the fabric, and the denominator indicates the number to warp threads spanned on the reverse. Three such weaves have dominated the textile world ever since the first threads were passed by each other.

The three simple weaves – Best Filter

Plain weave

Weft thread over and under each warp thread, or in the fraction designation 1/1. Sail canvas, taffeta, chiffon, Sheer and gauze-y fabrics like silk organza or gossamer are typically plain weave, as are the standard silk gown weaves of taffeta and chiffon, cotton muslin and flax linen, and the workaday hemp sail canvas and jute burlap.

Twill weave

Weft thread over one and under two or three warps, creating a diagonal pattern with the fraction designation 2/1 or 3/1. Cotton denim and wool tweed and herringbone are twill weaves, as are silk serge and cotton gabardine.

Satin weave

Weft over one and under 4-6 warps makes a pattern with a soft, even sheen. The fraction designation is 6/1. Satin is classically silk, while shorter fibers in a satin weave are called sateen.

Dying

Dying cloth can be done to the yarn and patterns produced by the weave of differently-colored threads, or to the woven fabric. Patterns can be applied to fabric in many ways: by using wax to make portions of the cloth resist the dye, as in batik or rōketsuzome, blocking the dye with stencils, as in katazome (not unlike screenprinting), stamping the dye onto the fabric as in woodblock printing or even hand inked, as in qalamkari.

https://kirikomade.com/blogs/our-fabrics/15314847-katazome Japanese Katazome stencil dyed cloth – Kiriko

The choice of dyes are nearly endless (and covered at some length in another journal), but some particularly prominent historical examples include jet black achieved with a modification of iron gall ink, blue produced by indigo or woad, crimson from madder root or cochineal, purple most famously from Mediterranean shellfish, but also seashore lichens or combinations of red and blue, and forest green from combinations of blue with saffron, goldenseal, or other yellow dyes.

The Abhorred Shear

The fates have taken us as far as they will go for this journal, and the thread is cut. For those who would take up the weaver’s art and the dye vats, what story do you hope to bring into the world? What fibers, what dyes, what patterns excite you? What techniques have I left out that you would like to learn and teach in Elyria?

Finally, if you're interested, Mhaura has posted about how to find your niche on the tailoring/clothing business!

References

1. C. Browne, “Salamander’s Wool: The Historical Evidence for Textiles Woven with Asbestos Fibre,” Textile History, 34[1], (2003) p.64–73
  2. G.M. Crowfoot, “Of the Warp-Weighted Loom,” The Annual of the British School at Athens, 37 (1937) p. 36-47
7/26/2018 3:24:22 AM #1

Oh wow. Thorough work here Huntsmaster! +1. I love the enthusiasm. It's infectious.

7/26/2018 3:29:30 AM #2

This is awesome. I've been wanting to put something like this together for my town, which will specialize in drapery and textiles. Thank you. :)

7/26/2018 9:41:53 AM #3

Sheesh, about time Huntmaster! ;)

Another masterpiece thread.

7/26/2018 6:30:00 PM #4

Cool

7/29/2018 10:02:13 AM #5

Very interesting read. Didn't know that spider silk really exists. It looks amazing. If Kypiq would be able to do such embroidery on their silk!

8/2/2018 1:10:48 AM #6

Posted By Noryn at 03:02 AM - Sun Jul 29 2018

Very interesting read. Didn't know that spider silk really exists. It looks amazing. If Kypiq would be able to do such embroidery on their silk!

Yeah, I found that very interesting. I knew that there are some efforts to genetically engineer a way to "farm" spider silk (e.g. silk from goat's milk glands), but until I looked I had no idea about the fabrics that already exist!

Likewise, I have some experience with modern asbestos textiles (and was aware that Ben Franklin had used asbestos to weave a purse), but until I started reading I didn't realize how long ago those textiles had been made. Just goes to show the possibilities that exist with ancient technology!

8/2/2018 3:27:53 AM #7

Nicely done

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

8/5/2018 7:46:12 PM #8

Posted By Varhukan at 8:27 PM - Wed Aug 01 2018

Nicely done

Thanks! Anything you want to add? I left out more than I was able to include ;-)

8/8/2018 4:34:24 PM #9

Nice start with good information :) I would add more relevant material that the devs mentioned would be in the world and less speculation as a jumping off point.

Fabric properties such as wicking moisture, upkeep and degradation (pilling, snagging, novelty yarn vs utility), and proper climates for fabrics since temperature will be an issue. Also, flax and linen was mentioned by the devs so I'd include that alongside cotton.

EXAMPLES:

• Silk is a winter fabric because it's warm and insulates well. Popular in evening wear because you can be half naked and still warm.

• Wool is also a winter fabric; dense and insulating even when wet but takes long to dry because of the way wool fiber is structured (this is also why it is scratchy).

• Cotton and linen are popular because of their utility and versatility (as you mentioned). Cotton wicks away moisture and can be very warm when worn in layers. Ideal for desert/tropical biomes. Linen and cotton also increase in comfort the more washes your garment goes through. Very high quality cotton/wool is extremely soft because it's been brushed more than regular cotton before made into yarn or thread. That kind of stuff may be relevant to game mechanics for textile production.

The devs haven't confirmed anything on weaves such as twill/satin/sateen etc or whether it will play a role utility or novelty wise. Like a twill weave is stronger (utility) than a basket weave, that's why all our jeans our twill weave. Silk with a satin weave such as a kimono is prettier than regular cotton dress (novelty). Novelty will definitely exist, but who knows if we'll have to match fiber to weave.

So if you're looking for this to be a guide or introduction, I would leave out (currently) unnecessary material so not to confuse people you're enticing and then add as more information becomes available.

I can give you some more resources on garment construction, historical costume, and textile production if you'd like if you have access to a library. I still have a lot of books left over from college (FIDM).

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

8/10/2018 5:40:54 PM #10

Mhaura, that'sa lot of good information. Very practical!

The direction I usually go with these journals is pointing out strange and interesting tidbits that people who are only passingly familiar with the topic may not be aware of, so that's why I have asbestos and spider silk and the different types of weaves up there. It sounds like you have some pretty in depth knowledge, though, and I'd encourage you to write a complementary introduction! I'd be happy to link to it here if you find the idea interesting enough to pursue.

10/7/2018 5:41:02 PM #11

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever (Keats)

My question is more about silk, in the waerd list of abilities there is "cactus silk' mention, so a silk like fiber from plants like aloe vera (that is probably present in semi arid desert areas). This "silk" talk is more about getting silk from the silk cocoons and Kypiq like craft. Will cactus silk be available?

10/7/2018 6:04:47 PM #12

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever (Keats)

My question is more about silk, in the waerd list of abilities there is "cactus silk' mention, so a silk like fiber from plants like aloe vera (that is probably present in semi arid desert areas). This "silk" talk is more about getting silk from the silk cocoons and Kypiq like craft. Will cactus silk be available?

10/7/2018 6:30:06 PM #13

Nice coverage. One thing that I would like to add to the 'Fire resistance' section -- something that burns cleanly (even if quick) is safer to wear around a fire than something that melts.

10/8/2018 7:07:47 PM #14

Posted By malachid at 11:30 AM - Sun Oct 07 2018

Nice coverage. One thing that I would like to add to the 'Fire resistance' section -- something that burns cleanly (even if quick) is safer to wear around a fire than something that melts.

I'm glad you mentioned this since it is going to be interesting what man-made fabrics will be invented, if possible. Fabrics such as rayon, spandex, and acrylic all melt when exposed to heat, as well as every other man made fiber. I wonder if SBS will introduce man-made fibers or keep it to natural fibers?

Also, there was mention above about cactus silk which I was not aware of. What makes silkworm silk so special on Earth is that it each cocoon is one continuous fiber which gives woven textiles from this fiber its sheen, whereas in contrast cotton is a bunch of tiny fibers meshed together. That's why socks pill and silk blouses do not. What will distinguish cactus silk and insect silk?

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

10/8/2018 10:44:23 PM #15

awesome job! Very thorough and great look at textiles and cactus silk is made by crushing the plant and then washing and hammering the fibers which are then woven and dyed (granted that's just one process I know of and I'm no expert so definitely feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)