COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Animating shields

While meandering about the wilds looking to improve my Florentine ... a nice video from 2014, which I rather agree with. Many online games do tend to make characters holding a shield look as if they have utterly no idea of the basics of how to use a shield, including simple like keep it between you and the bad guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZ6qWSenqI

And I really hope we have shield + short spear! This vid with HEMA folks exploring sword/knives in various styles vs spears may be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

You guys know other good reference vids?

Link to my story

10/13/2018 5:02:02 PM #1

Good point.

Afaik Skallagrim and Lindybeige are some of the most valued and influentual channels on the subject of realistic medieval warfare and combat. I reckon SBS has got them covered.

10/13/2018 6:54:52 PM #2

Shadyversity and the metatron too.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/14/2018 5:28:50 AM #3

I wouldn't suggest Shadversity. The other Youtubers on there did some stuff with him, but David Rawling's kinda called him out on some BS. Warning: random British guy in a tub at the end.

Here are some plays with a Rotella from the Blood and Iron HEMA group (the same group that Skallagrim is from)

Plays with the Rotella Shield!

Here are the guards found in I.33 from David Rawlings. Those said guards are also the same as the one's written in the Codex Danzig from Andre Liegniczer (something I personally follow)

I.33 Wards

Here's a fun video going into the nuance of sword and buckler to novices. (however note at 24:45 when he says you can't protect your hand from the 3rd ward. You can, you just place rotate the shield to the left, go under your arm, and bend your elbow to put the shield in the right position. Pretty much flex your left arm and place your right arm through it. It's weird but it makes sense I swear)

How to Win a Fight with a Sword and Buckler

If you want fancier animations from a video that has unnecesarily overly dramatic music, plays from Ilkka are pretty good. He's usually following the Bolognesse style of fencing so it's a bit flowery but hey, it works.

Dall'Agocchies form done with sword and rotella

If you want a really long video on an introduction from sword and buckler, follow Kristine Konsmo as she's one of the top sword and buckler fencers to this day.

Introduction to sword & buckler fencing with Kristine Konsmo

If you want to see a faster pace sword and buckler fight in a tournament setting, here's a fight with Axel Pettersson

My Sword & Buckler fights from Vasaslaget-18

Here are a few images from the Opera Nova written from Achille Marozzo.

In terms of combat sources, it's a SUPER old post I made, but I had a combat resource thread I should update one day located here.