COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Summary of NA-W Round 2 Analysis

Summary

With the new version of the maps released, I have also completed the next round of map analysis for NA-W. The analysis on elevation relationship with defensive position will come later. Once again, this is just my personal opinion and are somewhat subjective. There are a few things to keep in mind before moving forward :

1. Larger size does not equal better;

2. The Salt Marsh in Map I is actually a Bog;

3. AND “The strength of the land depends on the virtue of the king, not strategic location... … King Zhou's land of Shang dynasty; has Meng Men at its left; Taihang Mountains on its right; Mount Chang on its North; the mighty river running in its South. Yet with his horrendus act, King Wu of the Zhou dynasty defeated and replaced him. Therefore, the virtue of the king is more important than strategic locations he possessed. Without virtue, even people on the same boat as the king will turn against him.” a quote from Wu Qi from Shiji

4. Analysis on elevation and military (coming soon)

With those things in mind, let's look at how the 5 NA-W maps may affect each kingdom in Elyria. I will summarise the analysis here. For the details, please refer to my detailed analysis post

Ranking maps according to interesting landscape:

Map S > Map H > Map I > Map K > Map G

According to trade dynamics:

Map S > Map K > Map H > Map I > Map G

According to inland exploration potential (refering to round 1's analysis):

Map K > Map I > Map S = Map H > Map G

According to Kingdom strength. An overall ranking in terms of how strong each kingdom looks like on paper on each map. As Caspian said, bigger might mean more spread out. However, it also means more resoources in the long run. So, in my opinion bigger does mean better IN the LONG RUN, and I am thinking long term here:

K1: Map I > Map H > Map S > Map K > Map G

K2: Map H > Map K > Map S > Map I > Map G

K3: Map I > Map S > Map K > Map G > Map H

K4: Map G > Map I > Map S > Map H > Map K

K5: Map H > Map G > Map S > Map K > Map I

K6: Map K > Map S > Map H > Map I > Map G

I originally wanna explain how I come up with the above ranking, but I am afraid it will get too long. So... Hmm.. I guess now I know why Map I and Map H are the most popular maps. At first glance, it is easy to tell that Map G is out of the picture. In addition, Map S looks like the map hate by the least. This implies that Map S is actually quite a balance map where no one is upset.

Alright guys, thanks for reading. Any feedback is welcome.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

11/11/2018 11:26:29 PM #1

Special mention on comparison between Map H vs Map I :

If you guys want more analysis on top of the detailed version, all I can offer is the coastline comparison. As I mentioned in the round 1 analysis, Map H's inland sea have uncertain impact on how naval development will go. Unfortunately, I have no clue which biome best support Reeds Ship building, etc, so I can only stick with wooden boats.

Ignoring that, pulling coastline length data from my previuous analysis : Best biome for ship building : Map H: 85, Map I : 66 Biome supportive for ship building : Map H: 93, Map I : 125

The Alpine forest on both maps is quite unfriendly for coastal settlements. The Taiga though, has a lot of inlets. I am expecting the coasteline with white pixels in the Taiga to be rough and rocky, this leaves both maps having roughly 2/3 of the coastlines suitable for ship building settlement. However, there are more bays in the Taiga for Map I. For K3's naval force, the Mixed Leaf Forest is great for both maps while its coastline in Map H locates within a huge bay. Combining with the fact of possible separate development of naval power I mentioned in the detailed analysis, K3 supporters would support Map I over Map H. For the Salt Marsh, Map H > Map I.

For K5 the Woodland Savanna on Map I comes out on top even its shores are rougher. Cause on Map H, there is not much of a coastline for Woodland Savanna.

If we also consider the Supportive biomes: Lower Montane: Map I wins cause of the sharp penisula at the North East corner. Grassland : Map H wins with a bay Marsh: Tie between the maps Shrub Steppe: Ties, both are rocky as hell where we can't tell will there be multiple coastal settlements Shrublands: Map H wins with the gentler coast with the inland sea and a Bat at its border with the Marsh. Tropical rainforest: Map I wins with the Guld at its Westyern coast. Tropical Wetland : Ties, both have multiple inlets and bays.

I would say Map I comes out slightly on top, unless the inland sea can contribute heavily to the naval technology development. The result is kind of inconsitent with my first analysis because we can now tell how much of a coastline is rough.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

11/11/2018 11:26:38 PM #2

Reserved