COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Adventuring and Working

I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere so I decided to make a topic.

How will players be able to adventure / complete the story while keeping their "jobs"?

For example, lets say I'm a baker and I, of course, have a bakery if I want to complete the story will I have to close the bakery? Another example, a king has certain duties. Who will take care of those duties while the king is lets say meeting another king?

I suppose you could pay someone to fulfill those duties, but wouldn't that person need to have the skill to do the job? If so, a farmer could pay another farmer to take care of his farm, but won't that other character already have his own farm to take care of?

Won't most people with the skill to do those jobs already be using those skills elsewhere?

12/3/2018 3:57:24 PM #1

Its possible to 'lease' buildings and parcels to characters. Basically you would let them rent a place to work. They are motivated to keep the shop in good condition so they don't pay fees and they even have motivation to upgrade the shop when they get the chance.

When returning you can stop leasing the land, although as you could imagine this may or may not have ramifications. I don't see most as being "bad" but "complicated". If its with an NPC it they could just move on to a new shop and place to live. With players who have grown attached to the land you might end up living and working together (perhaps build a family together?).

So the short answer is adventurers could lease their land or buildings for income and maintenance while they're away.

Oh and welcome to the forums mate!

12/3/2018 4:23:49 PM #2

Hello there Orioff.

If the baker in question wanted to go away on a huge journey, then part of his story may very well be selling his bakery and pursuing adventure. Or like Sagan said, lease it out.

A King leaving to the sedecim, or to visit a neighboring king, can leave one of his dukes in charge, his queen in charge, even have a regent who can fill his role while he is away.

Likewise if the baker is going to be gone for a short while, it would make sense to have a helper man his shop, or simply shut down for a little while and open back up when you return.

Nothing is going to stop you from exploring, but if you Really want to hit the 4 corners of the map, I'd pick a job that is portable. Maybe bake out of your vardo and sell it on the road :P

(disclaimer, I have no idea how you would get a bakers attached to a wagon, or if you could)

12/3/2018 5:00:03 PM #3

Interesting question.

I think we must accept that we either have a ordered life or live as a poor bur free vagabond.

12/3/2018 5:09:23 PM #4

You could have an assistance or hire someone via contract to watch the bakery while you are gone. If it is a family business someone else could take over. You could close down and pay rent in advance if you are only going to be away for a week or so.

12/3/2018 5:20:01 PM #5

Posted By Orioff at

I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere so I decided to make a topic.

How will players be able to adventure / complete the story while keeping their "jobs"?

For example, lets say I'm a baker and I, of course, have a bakery if I want to complete the story will I have to close the bakery? Another example, a king has certain duties. Who will take care of those duties while the king is lets say meeting another king?

I suppose you could pay someone to fulfill those duties, but wouldn't that person need to have the skill to do the job? If so, a farmer could pay another farmer to take care of his farm, but won't that other character already have his own farm to take care of?

Won't most people with the skill to do those jobs already be using those skills elsewhere?

You'll be able to find both work and adventures that pay in my county. Keeping your jobs... How often are you able to go on vacation within the real world's businesses? Not that often. So I highly doubt that you'll be able to work for someone else and hold your job. You'd have to be self made businessman to be able to do both effectively.

12/3/2018 5:51:32 PM #6

Posted By Sagan at 1:57 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

So the short answer is adventurers could lease their land or buildings for income and maintenance while they're away.

Oh and welcome to the forums mate!

Thank you. As for your answer this does seems like a pretty good solution.

Posted By Labbe at 2:23 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

Hello there Orioff.

If the baker in question wanted to go away on a huge journey, then part of his story may very well be selling his bakery and pursuing adventure. Or like Sagan said, lease it out.

A King leaving to the sedecim, or to visit a neighboring king, can leave one of his dukes in charge, his queen in charge, even have a regent who can fill his role while he is away.

Likewise if the baker is going to be gone for a short while, it would make sense to have a helper man his shop, or simply shut down for a little while and open back up when you return.

Nothing is going to stop you from exploring, but if you Really want to hit the 4 corners of the map, I'd pick a job that is portable. Maybe bake out of your vardo and sell it on the road :P

Hello Labbe, a traveling baker really sounds like an interesting idea, but the baker thing was just an example(I actually want to be a butcher). As for exploring nothing as ambitious as all four corners of the world just wanted to explore a little bit of the world. Thanks for the answer.

Posted By Daarco at 3:00 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

Interesting question.

I think we must accept that we either have a ordered life or live as a poor bur free vagabond.

Just like in the real world.

Posted By Deftly at 3:09 PM - Mon Dec 03 2018

You could have an assistance or hire someone via contract to watch the bakery while you are gone. If it is a family business someone else could take over. You could close down and pay rent in advance if you are only going to be away for a week or so.

An assitant sound like a really good idea, thanks.

12/3/2018 6:14:33 PM #7

"Complete The Story" Who is to say your story as a baker or a Farmer isnt found within those activities? The Story Engine is supposed to work around what you choose to do, as far as i understand it isn't going to try and create your story around something you don't do.

If your play style is along the lines of travel then simply work for a Baron such as myself, Go through basic training, become a soldier under me, then be a part time soldier, spend your game time how you want, your only commitment to me is that if i need you i expect you to show up. lets say you do this. You show up at My Barony>Become a soldier>receive your set of gear>then go off and explore>an IRL week passes and I ask you to come back and help us take care of a Bandit camp>you come back fall in line and help us kill some baddies>you get your cut of the loot>then instantly go back to whatever you were doing...Few PCs will be into hardcore "Soldiering" , more of us leaders should embrace part time soldiering. Anyways thats my two cents.

You find your story by playing the game ;)