COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
[PERMA DEATH]

I just recently watched an older Q-A where caspian touched apon a few things, one regarding perma-death, clearly aging leads to perma-death however he also said that not being able to reach your body also will lead to it, the examples he used was drowning at sea or falling into a volcano, while I can see perma-death possibly for falling into a volcano, the permanently dying from the ocean is terrifying, From the way I'm interpreting it, if you were to drown at sea from losing a naval battle, you have to pay for another Spark of Life (25$). Therefore meaning that losing a naval battle will cost you money, I'm not sure if this has been addressed since the video. I would really appreciate if anyone could let me know how that's going to work as that seems really unfair.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/wolzz

1/3/2019 8:53:24 AM #1

Until the Industrial Age and the mechanization of naval forces when all the powers of the world switched from wooden navies to metal navies there was a single... ahem ... a single naval battle that did NOT happen within sight of the shore.

Pay no attention to the movies. To say that open sea naval battles in the age of wooden navies are rare would be a gross understatement. There are a large number of reasons for this, among them the fact that on the open sea the odds of finding your enemy are a thousand to one or greater.

If we assume, which I don't think is unreasonable, that those who die in a naval battle near the coast will be able to return to their bodies then I think we should be clear on how many people open ocean perma-death is actually going to effect. Provided you aren't deliberately executed this way it's pretty unlikely.

The reason it is set up this way is because of the great rewards inherent to successfully braving the open ocean, the risks are equally great. However, this isn't going to be an issue for the those who use the navy for military purposes, it's really only going to effect explorers and colonists.

1/3/2019 1:52:21 PM #2

SBS has said that dying in shallow water (the waters off shore that we will have the tech to sail in at the game launch) will just cause our bodies to "wash ashore" and we, in running back to our bodies will run back to them on shore, therefore not resulting in perma death.

However, once deep ocean travel is researched, if you do jump overboard and are left by your ship, or if in a naval battle your ship is sunk...or if you get sunk by a hurricane, then yes, dying in the water out there in the deep ocean will result in perma death.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

1/3/2019 1:58:37 PM #3

Posted By Dariusacmar at 08:52 AM - Thu Jan 03 2019

SBS has said that dying in shallow water (the waters off shore that we will have the tech to sail in at the game launch) will just cause our bodies to "wash ashore" and we, in running back to our bodies will run back to them on shore, therefore not resulting in perma death.

However, once deep ocean travel is researched, if you do jump overboard and are left by your ship, or if in a naval battle your ship is sunk...or if you get sunk by a hurricane, then yes, dying in the water out there in the deep ocean will result in perma death.

This is pretty much how perma-death at sea has been described. If you can see land, you're most likely safe from perma-death. I think it'll only really matter once you attempt to cross the oceans to find new lands. That's part of the risk for the reward of finding lost locations!

1/3/2019 8:14:08 PM #4

Ok thank you guys, I'm new here so I haven't seen all of what Caspian has said, Thanks for the clarification.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/wolzz

1/4/2019 12:58:37 AM #5

Hmmm I think I was misunderstanding permadeath while at sea... thought you just lose spirit and... I don't really know what I was thinking lol... being a scurvy ridden sea bard might be more expensive than I thought...