COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Pre-Production Concept Sketch - Janoan Architecture

Hail Elyrians! It's time to S H I N E !

Last week we wrapped up the Brudvir series of architecture sketches, and it seemed like that went over well! So, just as I promised then, let's show some architecture for a new tribe! This week, let's look at some sketches for Janoan architectural style. This one has some interesting elements:

So the first thing that probably draws your eye is the "stable" below the larger structure in the lower right, and it's definitely interesting, raising some questions about how you'd build that structure, since you can't really carve it out of the landscape like that. But, you know, we kind of talked about how that works with the Brudvir stuff, so I'd rather point out the home in the top center.

Notice anything interesting about it? I'm particularly fond of the stove that pipes off its output to smoke meats in the smoker on the "porch" outside. That's a great use of the verticality inherent in Janoan structures, but also just a clever way to get more than one thing out of an installation like a stove or forge. (Speaking of, the forge in the lower left sketch is great, too!)

Another thing I really like is the nod to Janoan climbing ability. There are no "stairs," just angled ladders. Why? Well because the Janoa can get up and down faster that way, and it uses less overall space. A good example of what I mean by that is that same little home with the stove under it: It's a two story structure, but there's clearly no room for a staircase in the cough Neran cough sense of the word. But for the Janoa a staircase is a waste of space when they can just use a ladder or similar climbing structure. More home, less space, go-go massive arms! ;)

So what's your take? What do you think? Let us know below and, most importantly:

Stay Shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
3/7/2019 10:22:42 PM #1

i really like it tbh. seems to fit well with the janoa

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

3/7/2019 10:22:53 PM #2

Goody Huts :D

3/7/2019 10:23:23 PM #3

Nice!

3/7/2019 10:23:57 PM #4

I think that looks really interesting, my only thought about no staircases is for elders and little children. I would say Osha should be called :P

3/7/2019 10:25:48 PM #5

Looks interesting :D

Kernothia

3/7/2019 10:27:20 PM #6

Stairs are for losers anyway, we don't need them . SnipeHunter I loved them and I cannot wait to see more.

3/7/2019 10:28:46 PM #7

I absolutely love how practical everything has been so far, from the Brudvir using earth insulation techniques, to the Janoan smoker concept. You can tell these are made with real intent and thought and it makes the wait for next week seem to take forever :P

PS. I like the inspector gadget reference at the end :D

3/7/2019 10:36:01 PM #8

I love that it is so different to both Kypiq and Neran! Really unique elements in there :)

Just in case you guys missed them, raised storehouses are a great way to confound rats. Missing from the illustration is the ladder you lean against the front when you want to get something!

From Museum of New Zealand. (https://teara.govt.nz/en/artwork/45734/pataka-1840s)

Pātaka look like they would fit perfectly with the Janoan concept!

Link to my story

3/7/2019 10:39:17 PM #9

Who needs stairs when you got swag !

3/7/2019 11:09:14 PM #10

They look great! I love the variety and ideas some give that I hadn't considered, like the stove with dual usage.

Luna Server Parade Coordinator---Kingdom of Vornair---Friend code: 31418D

3/7/2019 11:26:25 PM #11

These are clearly not JDA (Janoan with Disabilities Act) compliant! And what if you're having non-Janoan guests for dinner?

3/7/2019 11:45:25 PM #12

Posted By Taco at 5:26 PM - Thu Mar 07 2019

These are clearly not JDA (Janoan with Disabilities Act) compliant! And what if you're having non-Janoan guests for dinner?

Any Janoa found to be disabled will be used as bait in the hunt, and non-Janoan guests will BE the dinner.

problems solved.

3/8/2019 12:16:49 AM #13

I like it, Definitely not what I was expecting from the Janoan Biome being a tropical rainforest, I anticipated the rainforest being a bigger factor in the architecture, for instance the buildings being built around the bases of trees or indeed even in the tree canopy's like ewok housing or that of the lost treehouse tribe,

The stable structure looks like a kinda man made mud house with a large communal room above ! Maybe a religious gathering building or even a village meeting room of sorts, or a social gathering point to share takes of the longest night hunts, and show of trophies,

This brings me to the upper right image, a trio of dwellings, and I now speculate, could this be a family home ? Or that of an elder of tribe ? Because it certainly doesn't look like you could fit a family in the 2 story stove dwelling, upper center image, but then I wonder is the trio of rooms a store house ? Or is the structure above the stable block a large village grain & produce store ? My god the possibilities are endless, please tell us more about these individual structures,

I like the use of lashings to tie the stilt structures as opposed to iron, ( nails ) but would like to see better interlocking use of the timbers like a Tetris style locking of woods, similar to a tongue and groove style, but hey that could already be a concept, just one we don't see yet, wink wink.

Angled ladders, hybrid ladders, a good concept, how about some lashing ropes !! For the teenager and physically fit with an abundance of energy to shiny up and around ? Or notches protruding from the structures for grips and footholds ?

All in all, as a prospective Janoan myself, it gets a thumbs up from me, but as per, we want more, we need more, feed us your excellence Snipehunter, Great job.

Many hands make light work.

3/8/2019 12:19:54 AM #14

Posted By Kyre at 11:45 PM - Thu Mar 07 2019

Posted By Taco at 5:26 PM - Thu Mar 07 2019

Any Janoa found to be disabled will be used as bait in the hunt, and non-Janoan guests will BE the dinner.

problems solved.

And the Janoan are not a social culture, you'd be hard pushed to find another man of kin that would want to go round a janoan's for dinner, let alone treck through the tropical rainforest to get there, lol.

3/8/2019 12:30:47 AM #15

Those are pretty darn cool!!!! Great job on those!!