COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Settlement questions

I had some questions about owning a settlement. So with a mayor title you can claim a settlement and become it's mayor or baron. Does this give you anything other than the title? For example do you start off owning some portion of the settlement or do you have to wait for exposition to spend EP on land (parcels)?

I read somewhere that it wasn't till a settlement becomes a town that it gets a mayor. If this is the case, what happens if you claimed a village? Do you get the title even though most villages don't have a mayor or do you become a mayor when the village becomes a town?

Thanks for the help.

4/10/2019 3:38:09 PM #1

I believe you will own the controlling portion of the settlement which I vaguely remember being about 2/3. You can of course invest more EP in a bigger share of your settlement during exposition.

With regards to mayors the default mayor is the person who has the majority land ownership within a settlement, although I believe they can decline the role or be unseated in a land owners election.

4/10/2019 4:21:03 PM #2

From what I had read, anyone can be a Mayor but the default will be the one that owns the most land. I think this is only going to be from the start though as I also read that when a village becomes a town, whoever files the charter with the local Count is the one that becomes Mayor.

As for the question about claiming a village, I'm curious about that myself and will be including it in an upcoming list of questions for Vye. In either the blog or the news article it sounded like we can pick any settlement, even if it's a hamlet. I'm imagining that if we pick a hamlet then we'll have to use our EP to expand it to the size of a town, otherwise it won't have a Mayor and we'll just be the chief elder.

4/10/2019 4:44:51 PM #3

Posted By Ugly-Green-Trog at 08:38 AM - Wed Apr 10 2019

I believe you will own the controlling portion of the settlement which I vaguely remember being about 2/3. You can of course invest more EP in a bigger share of your settlement during exposition.

No, you get a simple majority. That does not mean over 50%. That means if two other characters have a large amount of the land, you just have more than them. I.E.: Character A has 25%, Character B has 35%, you have 40%.

4/10/2019 4:47:51 PM #4

Posted By Protey at 5:44 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

Posted By Ugly-Green-Trog at 08:38 AM - Wed Apr 10 2019

No, you get a simple majority. That does not mean over 50%. That means if two other characters have a large amount of the land, you just have more than them. I.E.: Character A has 25%, Character B has 35%, you have 40%.

But if you are claiming the land at D&SS then surely the engine will have to give you 51% or potentially you won't have control over your own settlement at launch?

4/10/2019 5:00:39 PM #5

on that note, can a high EP non-mayor come into Expo and buy up land around your settlement and seize control through majority before full launch?

4/10/2019 5:14:19 PM #6

Last I read they are looking at that for Exposition, SBS are deciding between letting everyone enter Expo at the same time, and have the chips fall where they may, or tier the entry to allow Nobles and Aristocracy a buffer to secure their towns.

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

4/10/2019 5:15:16 PM #7

Posted By Narthesis at 6:00 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

on that note, can a high EP non-mayor come into Expo and buy up land around your settlement and seize control through majority before full launch?

I want to know the answer to this too.

4/10/2019 5:15:49 PM #8

Posted By Narthesis at 1:00 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

From what I have heard owning a majority of the land in a village allows you to petition the count to make you a mayor. If there is already a mayor then you need a CB to try and take his title. Also I believe the mayor can choose if he wants to incorporate new parcels into his settlement or not.

Edit: You don't need a majority. According to DJ#18 in reference to building up a settlement;

"Now, once you get to the point of having a town there is a Town Charter that is filled out. The person "in charge" of the town is the Mayor and everyone else are members of the Town Council. This is similar to Guild Leaders and Officers in other games. Generally speaking, the Mayor of the town will be the person who owns the most land under the town. But it doesn't have to be that way. Whoever registers the town charter with the county is the Mayor, regardless of whether they actually have the most land or not."

It is also possible that things have changed since that DJ.

4/10/2019 6:48:05 PM #9

Posted By Ugly-Green-Trog at 10:38 AM - Wed Apr 10 2019

With regards to mayors the default mayor is the person who has the majority land ownership within a settlement, although I believe they can decline the role or be unseated in a land owners election.

You don’t own controllling majority, you own simple majority, which is much lower. Meaning no one else will have more land than you, but you won’t have anywhere near 50% of the land.

Posted By Narthesis at 12:00 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

No, because the land is not incorporated into the settlement, and the settlement can make a contract for how land incorporation works.

But if you are claiming the land at D&SS then surely the engine will have to give you 51% or potentially you won't have control over your own settlement at launch?

Mayors were never meant to be dictators or the sole owner of the settlement, but I suppose if that is what you want, you can try building one from scratch, and own 100% of the land.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/10/2019 7:52:00 PM #10

Posted By zimmah at 2:48 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

You don’t own controllling majority, you own simple majority, which is much lower. Meaning no one else will have more land than you, but you won’t have anywhere near 50% of the land.

If this is how it works then a hamlet (3 total parcels) would give you 2 parcels. A capitol (81 total parcels) may only give 2 parcels if every other landowner only had 1 parcel. Is there a minimum number of parcels you recieve based on the size of the settlement? Also how would these parcels be determined, at random or picked at exposition?

My original thoughts were that titles came with some amount of land but it might be that we are intended to use the EP that came with the package to buy the parcels we want.

4/10/2019 8:13:27 PM #11

Posted By Araem702 at 3:52 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

Posted By zimmah at 2:48 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

If this is how it works then a hamlet (3 total parcels) would give you 2 parcels. A capitol (81 total parcels) may only give 2 parcels if every other landowner only had 1 parcel. Is there a minimum number of parcels you recieve based on the size of the settlement? Also how would these parcels be determined, at random or picked at exposition?

My original thoughts were that titles came with some amount of land but it might be that we are intended to use the EP that came with the package to buy the parcels we want.

Perhaps the title will give you a single parcel but it’s up to you to ensure you retain majority by buying more during expo. Remember, the mayor doesn’t have to have majority ownership to be mayor. Even if you don’t have majority by the end of expo, you’ll still be mayor but you might have a higher risk of losing it, if the council members have voting rights based off of the amount of land they own.

4/10/2019 9:30:04 PM #12

I'm also interested in how it will work for Barons, it may be more necessary to have land to build fortifications on for them. I don't like the idea of someone else owning the land the walls are on. Either that or you will have to strike a deal with your count to ensure the land is kept clear to expand the fortifications.

4/10/2019 10:02:54 PM #13

Posted By Ugly-Green-Trog at 5:30 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

I'm also interested in how it will work for Barons, it may be more necessary to have land to build fortifications on for them. I don't like the idea of someone else owning the land the walls are on. Either that or you will have to strike a deal with your count to ensure the land is kept clear to expand the fortifications.

I’m thinking that defensive structures and military structures would have to be built on land owned by the barony or count. I don’t think Barons are subject to the same rules as Mayors and can’t be voted out. It’s an appointed position by the Count. So land ownership isn’t as big a deal for them.

4/10/2019 10:45:38 PM #14

Posted By Tilarium at 11:02 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

Posted By Ugly-Green-Trog at 5:30 PM - Wed Apr 10 2019

I’m thinking that defensive structures and military structures would have to be built on land owned by the barony or count. I don’t think Barons are subject to the same rules as Mayors and can’t be voted out. It’s an appointed position by the Count. So land ownership isn’t as big a deal for them.

Barons are appointed by the Duke, actually.

4/10/2019 11:40:22 PM #15

Barons are appointed by the Duke and have much less to worry about when it comes to losing their title. As a mayor you'll have to find the balance between spending on your town and spending on yourself. The more EP you spend on setting yourself up for success the better your chances of being the dominant family in town.

I'm not sure if this is still correct but maybe this will help. It's from the wiki.

Creating a settlement is done by "donating" parcels of land in exchange for ownership/voting rights (like owning shares in a company). The land you contribute is now owned and managed by the settlement. When land is annexed (added to the settlement), it increases the value of the settlement, and whoever contributed the land gets additional voting rights. Once the land is part of a settlement, it can be sold or leased to gain revenue for the settlement, but it remains part of the settlement.

The mayor then is the one who plans out the way the settlement parcels will be managed is what I understand from this.

Friend code: D3F461