COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Thoughts, Griefing, Paying for lives etc.

Hey all, i've played some of the concepts in this game out in old school muds before, families, permadeath etc, and am quite excited to see this reach the MMO stage. The most I could closely relate to memory was probably discworld mud, which had a 7 lives system and families on top of that.

What however glaringly stands out as a problem, is not full loot, permadeath, pvp, as you might expect. Its paying for lives. When you tie money to anything you immediately make it much more serious, just go watch a real poker game for pennies over a fictional money game online, and see the difference :D, let alone the real time and effort of permadeath loss.

Now even this wouldn't matter, as I get what you are trying to do but now consider griefers, and you will have them. People who can not only permanently kill you repeatedly but also cost you real world money and you have a recipe for some of the worst flaming posts in the history of gaming. You'll see angry people complaining about griefers all day long, instead of just mentioning them in passing and then someone going out to kill them. Crashes, bugs etc, do you refund people for losses to them?

Not to mention on top of this, it is essentially pay to win, or pay to keep playing in RvR or guild vs guild, it'll be the one who has enough money to keep buying characters who wins right? Does this not seem unfairly skewed to anyone else?

Friend Code: 699036

3/7/2016 2:30:30 PM #1

Your understand of the system is a bit skewed, I'm afraid.

There is a very punitive system in place for griefers. Wantonly murder someone once, you will gain a reputation for it. NPC's will be out for justice and jail time will likely follow. And as I understand it, jail is no short ordeal. Do it several more times and I doubt to say you'd even be able to approach a town without the guards swarming you.

From what I hear, murder is far more perilous for the murderer in the long term than the victim. The devs have said they've taken pretty extensive measures to control for the inevitability of griefers.

3/7/2016 2:31:14 PM #2

Games have existed with built in real life costs from the dawn of the modern MMO. Any game that charges any kind of money for play, and also features any kind of lose, has a built in real life cost. Literally the only difference we are seeing with Chronicles of Elyria is that that cost is much more transparent to the end user.

In any full loot MMO, if I am killed, I am losing game time. The time I put into getting the equipment I just lost is now lost to me. I paid for that game time. By killing me and taking my stuff, you are 'stealing' time from me.

In Chronicles of Elyria, if I am killed, I am losing game time. The time I put into getting the equipment I just lost is now lost to me. I paid for that game time. The time I would have otherwise had on the end of of my life is now lost to me. I also paid for that game time. By killing me and taking my stuff, you are 'stealing' time from me.

There is literally no difference at a macro scale.

As to being pay to win, the costs we have heard being associated with each life put the cost of playing Chronicles of Elyria rather far below that of playing any other subscription based MMO currently on the market.

$30 for a spark of life. 12 months of expected game time. 3 months of expected game time if you get killed a lot. At worst, that means $10 per month. Most subscription based MMOs are pushing for the $15 per month bracket.

Trying to spin the system as pay to win is an intrinsically flawed argument.

3/7/2016 2:40:20 PM #3

Read some more about the game mechanics, should start with developer journals. A "griefer" can not perma kill you, it works like this when so called "griefer" kills you first time assuming he coup de garace you (which has heavy consequences for player who does it) you will have some spirit loss and will have to spirit walk back to your body. On return to your body you will be revitalized , while your opponent will be tired from previous engagement. Lets say he kills you again and again, none of those following kills count towards the spirit loss. Even if you manage to get killed twice a day every day gaining spirit loss twice a day you will have over 4 months of game time, which is still way cheaper than current 15$ MMORPGs monthly fee.

3/7/2016 2:44:38 PM #4

First off, I was a little confused by your first couple paragraphs and wanted to explain some things, you don't get permadeath from dying 1 or 10 times from a player...it a lot deeper than that. Depending on your fame, you receive a certain amount of spirit loss when coup de graced (which is specific to players or extremely evil players). As someone with no fame, if you get Coup De Graced every SINGLE day you will still be playing for about 3.75 months- that's a little under $10 per month ($5 less than a WoW or FF14 sub). Secondly there is full loot if you coup de grace someone, looting is as follows: knocking someone out lets you quickloot someone (money or anything they had in their hands), coup de gracing someone allows you to take their sword, scabbard, anything on their belt, any jewelry, and rummage through their bag that would hold all of their possessions.

Unfortunately we just don't have a good idea of what all will happen until the game is played, but the devs do know that trolls exist and have already talked about several options (I highly suggest reading the Weight and Measure of a Lifetime Dev Journal) including the option where the player only incurs spirit lost on their first death every 2.5 hours - so if you die once and are getting camped you don't get penalized anymore for an Elyrian day, however the person grieving you gets penalized every single time and if caught after having gone on a mass killing/griefing spree they could be the ones that are SOL. Especially at the beginning of the game, I just don't see people venturing out of towns- it's not going to have traditional questing so unless you want to explore (which is super dangerous on its own), find players/things to kill, or try to find a new town then I see most players staying in or close to town. At the moment, my view of the Elyrian wilds is like old school Runescape wild - you enter knowing that there could be people looking to kill you, plain and simple, but there's also great reward in that risk like ancient ruins with unknown secrets, rare herbs you need for your potions, or even an unguarded merchant risking it all to travel to the next town. You can't just go out and get these things without accepting the risk that comes along with it - if there's one thing this game focuses on is that Risk = Reward, high risk high reward.

Lastly, I believe there will be different rule sets regarding spirit loss and largescale PvP.

3/7/2016 2:48:10 PM #5

Pay to win was an afterthought - If truly a heavy pvp focused player is only paying 10 dollars a month max there is no issue.

In fact there is no issue for me, regardless now, if that is the -max- I can be charged no matter what happens.

I still suspect there will be many who will not share that view about being charged in the following scenarios:

1) Game Crash. 2) Exploit or abuse of a game mechanic. 3) Downtime (Loss of X) 4) Griefing a new player before they have learned the game.

^ These are the obvious ones, you can then go into the grey areas of ganking, spawn killing, farming off low levels etc.

I will go as far to say that this feature will probably be redesigned. I feel that strongly about the issues it will cause, and if i hadn't of said anything before putting any time in here, i'd have kicked myself.

However again if I am paying a max 10 dollars a month i'm good personally, nothing more to see here. I've dropped 5 times that on online games regularly before.

On the subject of griefing generally, you'll never stop it, no matter how good the system is. I've been around the block long enough to know that. Only now it comes with the added bonus of costing someone money.

-edit Replying at work (slow day) couple more replies came up as I posted

I am not under the impression that its 1 kill 1 life. It doesn't matter if its 20 for 1 life, that's still money someone is spending. Also there is a lot of difference on the macro scale when one is a fictional concept and the other something I can buy a meal with.

3/7/2016 2:56:08 PM #6

>1) Game Crash. 2) Exploit or abuse of a game mechanic. 3) Downtime (Loss of X) 4) Griefing a new player before they have learned the game.

^ These are the obvious ones, you can then go into the grey areas of ganking, spawn killing, farming off low levels etc.

But those issues exist in other games with full loot PvP, and they do just fine.

If I crash while playing Albion Online and someone finds me before the server detects a DC, then they can kill me and take all my stuff. I have now lost game time because of a DC.

If I am killed by someone exploiting game mechanics in Albion Online then I have now lost game time because of an exploit.

Again, there is literally no difference in how the game time mechanics work other than the fact that you can lose game time while having no equipment in your inventory, something which is itself offset by the limit on how much game time you can lose an hour.

3/7/2016 2:59:02 PM #7

Yeah but we are not talking about fictional goods we've lost, or hobby goods that we can replace at will, if you cost someone money directly that's a much bigger kick in the gut.

The thing that separates a lot of pvpers from say achievers or crafters is, those fictional goods are not as important. Whereas I can assure you their wallet still is.

Can you not see the taunts now, that's another dollar I just cost you mcgubbins :), come around here again and you're paying double.

3/7/2016 3:05:03 PM #8

The fictional goods that you lose in any other game have an associated cost attached to them. The time sunk into getting those goods directly corresponds to the real money value of those goods. In any other full loot MMO, when you kill someone, you are costing that person a very real amount of real life money.

Now, I will agree with you that Chronicles of Elyria is far more transparent about this fact. It is far easier to see that when I get killed in Chronicles of Elyria I am losing money. But just because it is easier to see here doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening in plenty of other games with reasonably healthy communities for years.

There will be some players who are so put out by the fact that they can't hide behind a false shield of "It's only game items, it doesn't really cost me anything". OK? There will also be some players who don't like the game is full loot. Should we remove full loot to try and target that audience as well?

And can I see the taunts? Sure. I'll probably be using them from time to time. Thankfully words over the internet are just that. Words. They can't hurt me unless I let them. So... yeah, I don't see the issue of giving people one more thing to taunt people with. It isn't as if removing the game time cost would remove taunting. I would just taunt you with the fact that I killed you and took your stuff, instead of killed you and took your game time.

3/7/2016 3:05:56 PM #9

Personally I think it is a great Idea to put value on a life it makes it more personal and when People take this personally they will go to greater extents to protect that life. Imagine solders going to war to protect the investments of others risking their own investment in the process. It would force them to take the battle more seriously and to put more effort into the battle plan and in their attempt to win. Not to mention the pressure that would be placed on the leaders of said army to properly guide the army to victory the loyalty of the men will depend highly on the leadership skills of that person.

3/7/2016 3:08:14 PM #10

You seem to be under the assumption that every death is permanent. This isn't the case. A vast majority of deaths won't be permanent deaths. Being killed every day would give you about 3 months of play time. There are also mechanics in the game prevent corpse camping and griefing, like death toll caps and the fact that you don't respawn directly into your dead body.

Game crashes and exploits are a different monster all together. If it's an exploit, report it and it'll get handled. If it was a game crash, report it and if it's verifiable it'll get handled. DCs are almost always user side, so that's not something that can really be helped. Although, even getting DC'd you're not likely going to get permakilled.

3/7/2016 3:21:10 PM #11

Morbis no matter how much you tell me my gold sword is important its not going to feed me or put roof over my head, especially when I can steal another. Its a weak case to try and state an MMO's goods are generally regarded as important as cash, especially full loot. - Which is precisely what people are saying in this thread, that the addition of money as a factor in dying will make staying alive more important. You can't have it both ways, its either more important, or not.

Your strawman argument now about full loot being a factor, is just that, unrelated to the topic of money cost per life, in fact it works against your point as goods are more fluid. Sure some people won't join because you have full loot, some people won't join because you don't have ponies or a free bar but we aren't talking about those people here.

Well i'm done here ladies and gents I did try to help, but it seems the majority are happy with it. I will however link this post in two years, assuming its still here, to say I did try and warn you about the actions certain griefers will cause and the responses you'll see.

But you put my own mind at ease saying 10 dollars is the max i'll be paying monthly, so I am fine and thank you for that. I do think its going to hit the player count pretty hard, especially when the reviewers really get hold of the concept however, which is another heads up to be really clear about the max cost associated with playing.

3/7/2016 3:44:11 PM #12

No, you raise a point, and that is the perfectly valid backlash of players worrying about losing quantifiable currency. The only /real/ response you need right now, is that (as it stands, and I'm sure will be further addressed during balance testing) it won't be as much as you fear. The system is in place, among other reasons, to discourage griefing. A griefer will, in almost all instances, lose significantly more than their victim, while the victim's losses will, for the most part, be negligible in comparison.

3/7/2016 3:44:45 PM #13

I don't think you'll be paying monthly, as I don't believe that's an option. It'll be quite hard to permadie every three months, not impossible mind you just difficult.

The developers have put in measures to help prevent or mitigate griefing, and they've done so in a way that should work great.

3/7/2016 3:46:53 PM #14

This is the important link

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1772-DJ-16-The-Weight-and-Measure-of-a-Lifetime

If you are wanting the truth and not spin from people, read that link and you'll see it isn't what they say.

3/7/2016 3:49:35 PM #15

So I'm curious Piersdrach, in relating what is said in that DJ to what has been said by posters in this thread, what exactly has been spun? Or is this just you shitposting some more?