COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Looking for more insight

So I am new to this community, i have some friends trying to get me involved and buy a package, however this feels like an ambitious game with lots of promise but also a lot of potential for problems. having played EVE for years and the lIF mmo i like the potential this game has but i have also had enough bad experiences in games like this to make me have reservations about this game. some of this is simply due to the lack of information and only general overview of mechanics, but if any of you of the community has more info or insight that might help quell my unease about the game, please pitch in!

first: trade, is there a way to guarantee trader safety? i know about contracts but the mechanics are so vague that i'm not sure how they will work. because a common problem in open world player driven economies is exploiting traders by killing them before or after they receive the good, i know a dev blog commented on this but i don't see the contracts being able to prevent harm they will only punish those who get caught AFTER they have killed the trader. if traders are at risk of being exploited by that then trade will be very limited and that is going to stagnate the game immensely or lead to the LIF situation where people had 3 alts to go and get resources themselves. stagnating a huge part of the game.

my second biggest hesitancy is the business model: i get paying for a life and that is ok but i'm not okay with the idea that the game time i get is effected by what others do to me. lets be honest, no one is going to settle for a knock out, if they go through the trouble of attacking someone, coup de'grace are likely to be common place, and each time that happens your game time is shortened. while IF the person gets caught their game time is going to be shortened that just feeds the business model of 25 dollars per life, so for the company there is no actual incentive to change that, and the more underhanded players there are the more money they make because everyone is shortening their game time, although i doubt the people attacking will ever actually get caught. i dislike having REAL MONEY be effected by what OTHERS do in a VIRTUAL game

once again this all stems from the problem that there is enough there to outline a mechanic but with little specifics and with 9 years in eve and the disaster that was Life is fuedal mmo, this game has similiar mechanics, concepts and ideas. leading me to not want the game or be involved because those games cost me time, and money for an awful experience. and with the price items and game packages this game is looking EXACTLY like them. like i said i want to play with friends and i hope this game is able to pull off all that it imagines because that would be amazing and make a fun game, but all the signs that its going to be a possible train wreck is there and the financial risk is such that its causing me to hesitate.

so if any of you lovely people have details, experience or just more info than what i have been able to find, please let me know, i'm really interested, but there is a lot of doubt about them actually being able to pull these mechanics and have the game world as advertised.

6/1/2019 7:58:40 PM #1

If I am not mistaken

1) Through trade youll have both NPC and PC that act as guards that will prevent Player killers on the roads. You can have contracts that you agree to pay a certain amount to be protected to a specific location. Will you always be 100% safe? No. That is to make the game exciting for the assassins and other rejects that scheme out plans to make money. Plus, Trade through Naval ships will be a huge bonus as you wont see as many threats.

2) If you dont enjoy having the chance to being killed. Dont leave city walls? Or, become the bodyguard yourself and prevent that for others. Be the change that you want done.

6/1/2019 8:21:32 PM #2

that's cool! see i didn't know that there would be NPC guards, and losing a trade does happen, and it is not something i am against, but with no protections in place, it just lends itself to certain abuses and i am worried about that. as for being killed. that doesn't bother me, i am mostly about RP but i like the occasional PVP, what bothers me is that i lose real world money for being killed. so the plan is with my friends i will be a sort of body guard, so pvp is likely, i just feel like the protections and systems as outlined are underestimating the lengths and exploits people will go to, to be competitive, thanks for the info though! i learned something!

6/1/2019 8:28:17 PM #3

If you're active and contribute to the story, you can earn Story points that can then be converted into sparks of life. Being famous multiply the points you earn... but also the amount of spirit you lose when you get killed.

So like in EVE, play well and you can play for free.

Barony of Kern’s gate

6/1/2019 8:34:22 PM #4

and that is another thing i had not seen anywhere! thank you. that definitely helps. i have never been a fan of other peoples actions effecting my money through a game. especially when gamers are often so brutal to each other because its virual. so thank you for the info! all this has helped!

6/2/2019 12:16:24 AM #5

There is absolutely no guarantee that you will be safe, however. As I'm sure you're familiar of in EVE, even in high security areas (like inside towns) your character can still be injured or killed. If the town is well patrolled and you aren't skulking around in alleyways it's supposed to be harder for someone to mess with you, but by no means impossible. If you're not comfortable with that, CoE might not be a good fit for you. But if you managed to play EVE for 9 years without quitting, I think you'll be fine. :D

6/2/2019 6:23:58 AM #6

Posted By Terham at 9:28 PM - Sat Jun 01 2019

If you're active and contribute to the story, you can earn Story points that can then be converted into sparks of life. Being famous multiply the points you earn... but also the amount of spirit you lose when you get killed.

So like in EVE, play well and you can play for free.

I see people say this all the time and while it is true I feel people aren't that realistic about it. SBS aren't going to make it easy and common for people to get free sparks of life, its their business model after all. You can get you will need to be exceptionally involved in the games story or similar to get free game time.

6/2/2019 8:17:42 AM #7

Agreed with Grandad1982. In Eve, someone has paid for the game time that you purchase with in-game currency.

From what I can tell, this is not the case with story points. So earning game time with story points cannot be easy, else it would harm the business model.

I don't think there is any information yet on how likely it is to get caught as a murderer by guards. To draw the parallel with Eve, I doubt city guards will have CONCORD-like powers. But you would be 'outlawed' pretty fast due to the gossip system.

Happiness is reality minus expectation

6/2/2019 12:35:35 PM #8

The way I like to look at it:

Most games charge you $15 a month to play. A single spark of life costs less than a two month subscription, but the expected character lifespan is 8-12 months, as long as you aren't a high risk adventurer or a super notorious thief/murderer. As well, they are planning to put in systems like death toll caps to protect players from just being killed over and over:

"Toll caps are limits on the amount of death toll you can pay in a specific period of time.

The first toll cap we're considering is limiting one toll per 1 Elyrian day. This means that if you're out in the wilds and get killed by someone twice (or more) in a short period of time, there's no additional Spirit Loss, even if you're forced to spirit walk more than once. We're doing this because we recognize that if you get put into a bad position, such as being camped by others, or getting trapped near an especially dangerous enemy, it could wrack up several deaths in a short period of time." https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Death

That being said, never just go out into the wild by yourself. I also don't see this community turning a blind eye to people who would do that, anyways. Killing someone during a trade would be extremely drastic, when you could just incapacitate someone to get your money back.

6/2/2019 9:23:09 PM #9

wow lots of info in here! good to see! i am glad that there will be limits to deaths in a day, that makes sense. because honestly gamers can be really awful to each other in game for the sake of memes, meta, online, even roleplay, and losing real money to a someone who wants to trap you in a constant death situation would be awful.