COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Children as property

Can we write contracts to marry off our child as parts of contracts?

I think it would add a lot of story chances if you have a NPC child and you have sold them off to be married and a player can still spawn in to that child and has to choose if he wishes to break it or not and be held responsible. Adds more stories to choosing to join a player family or not.

I am interested in the type of responsibility we will have to our families outside of role play but mechanically

My dream is to make my settlement long outlive me Why not join me in being part of it? Send me a message

9B7323 friend code

10/10/2019 1:47:16 PM #1

At best I would guess you can ask family member to marry a specific person by repeating “Don't you want to marry X? That's a great guy.“ but a more likely scenario would be the reverse and you will be asked to give your blessing/allowance to the marriage of your child after a player or NPC convinced your child to marry him. Forcing someone to marry could be valued as some kind of slavery and as far as I read this is not a feature of CoE.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

10/10/2019 2:07:19 PM #2

Historically IRL there was not always a lot of choice given - usually to the females - of a Royal or Noble lineage. They'd be simply married off to whomever was the most 'helpful' husband politically for the family and the line. That could still be part of 'the Dance,' presumably?

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

10/10/2019 4:45:20 PM #3

I think there may be some cultural "expectation" of arranged marriage, but ultimately, even though it may be strongly encouraged by cultural traditions (and result into penalties for abandoning tradition) it will always be a choice of the individual to comply.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/11/2019 1:28:16 AM #4

Posted By zimmah at 09:45 AM - Thu Oct 10 2019

I think there may be some cultural "expectation" of arranged marriage, but ultimately, even though it may be strongly encouraged by cultural traditions (and result into penalties for abandoning tradition) it will always be a choice of the individual to comply.

Usually coming with shame or loss of family, I would like to know the Eylrian culture to this

My dream is to make my settlement long outlive me Why not join me in being part of it? Send me a message

9B7323 friend code

10/21/2019 3:04:07 AM #5

Posted By *Spenraw * at

I think it would add a lot of story chances if you have a NPC child and you have sold them off to be married and a player can still spawn in to that child and has to choose if he wishes to break it or not and be held responsible. Adds more stories to choosing to join a player family or not.

I am interested in the type of responsibility we will have to our families outside of role play but mechanically

first you'd have to find out if in CoE everyone will be a part of same culture and norms or if different cultures will vary through different regions

discord insaned#6905

10/21/2019 4:48:59 AM #6

Posted By *Spenraw * at

You have a whole lot of reading to do. To get hold of a child, it must be available and not made by contract for an other player. It will cost you a soul and a life spark. Once you got use of it with that soul and spark, it's yours and yours alone. Nobody else will get control of it.

Be careful what you do after that, because everything you do will leave a mark on the soul. Once you have it, nobody can use it for stuff that you have in your mind. Souls are precious.

I must add; A player can give you his child with a special code, but after that it is your avatar to game with, so be careful what you do. A tainted soul is not easily healed.

10/21/2019 9:22:28 AM #7

As Ilyria mentioned, so far there has been no statements from SbS about a player "seducing" another players descendants to marry them and acquiring their character codes.

In other words, the head of the family (player who owns the codes) decides what happens.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

10/21/2019 9:27:20 AM #8

Posted By Sareseras at 11:22 AM - Mon Oct 21 2019

As Ilyria mentioned, so far there has been no statements from SbS about a player "seducing" another players descendants to marry them and acquiring their character codes.

In other words, the head of the family (player who owns the codes) decides what happens.

And than still, only one player got to own it and it will no longer be an actual child because it has come up age. 16 y.o. is no longer a child in Elyria. It may still be a child to someone, but not to the one who activated the soul with a spark.

And also no other player will be allowed to log into it, because sharing accounts is not allowed. It is tied to one account.

10/31/2019 5:28:18 AM #9

If I end up being a royal of any level beyond store owner i'll be avoiding selling off my kids. Zeskshas about the business and a royal kid in a bad relationship is bad PR. Now this doesn't mean I won't offer my kids sit with a wealthy business partner and have the kids become lifelong friends. quite the contrary

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn