COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SHINY DAY (11/22/2019) - Let's Check the Replay!

Hail Elyrians!

It's a rare Friday shiny this week! I promised I'd show you all some video of the stuff folks were working on right now, but sadly my schedule was all sorts of jammed up yesterday, so I had to do some after hours recording... but hopefully you'll agree that it's worth the wait!

WIP Traversal Video 2 (Click the image to see the video)

That's it for this week's shiny everyone; stay shiny!

• Snipehunter
11/22/2019 8:35:53 PM #1

Nice

11/22/2019 8:37:01 PM #2

Awesome!

11/22/2019 8:44:26 PM #3

nice

To describe myself with in the most simple way... I am proberbly the smartest idiot you will ever meet. =^_^=

11/22/2019 8:44:43 PM #4

Show us more of them mini deers!! :O 5:30

11/22/2019 9:01:23 PM #5

Ahh, this is making me so excited to explore the world of Elyria~

Thanks for the wonderful shiny and inside look, it was enjoyable :3

11/22/2019 9:25:25 PM #6

Looks awesome!

11/22/2019 9:27:45 PM #7

This was an awesome glimpse into the movement system.

I cannot wait to be swinging from ropes onto the decks of ships! Or running through lost tombs in search of treasure.

The different types of motion that we can do, from wall running, to shimmying up beams, or vault jumping, really gives me an Assassin's Creed vibe (which I always loved the parkour system in). Can't wait to see it in Elyria, and how it plays out!

11/22/2019 10:16:48 PM #8

Nice. but somehow most of these movements have no momentum. looks clunky

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/22/2019 11:06:46 PM #9

Posted By Galliad at 2:16 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

Nice. but somehow most of these movements have no momentum. looks clunky

Yep - that's about the state of the animations (or the lack thereof in some cases). While it's fun to run those obstacles, the purpose of the environment is purely mechanical testing, so the presentation at the moment is really rough. As a team, we're really shy about showing stuff this early in the process because it's usually missing the sorts of detail that brings a good mechanical system to breathing, organic, life.

That visceral sense of weight and inertia will definitely grow as this stuff gets closer to its final production goals, it's just a bit early in the process for that, with these mechanics.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
11/22/2019 11:14:34 PM #10

Even though the animations weren't final and it's not in high res, and even though that keyboard sounded like it was taking a good beating, this was still the shiniest shiny to date.

Keep on shining, Snipe. :)

11/22/2019 11:15:21 PM #11

Snipe,

Are you or the studio able to expound on where this particular project sits in relation to the overall status of the testing client, and the "adventure items" needed to go to testing referenced back in the day in the adventure updates?

In other words, is this more of "we are going back and expanding on advanced traversal mechanics", or "we are still working on getting movement mechanics right before we move on to other systems"?

I know I can be guilty of making assumptions, and don't want to make the mistake of thinking "really...still haven't gotten past movement?" when that isn't the case.

Imgur

11/22/2019 11:38:04 PM #12

The white cracks in the stamina bar was a cool reveal. Will injuries accumulate in the health bar in a similar way?

11/22/2019 11:48:44 PM #13

looks good imo. I am glad that progress is being made!

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

11/22/2019 11:49:13 PM #14

Posted By Marovec at 3:15 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

In other words, is this more of "we are going back and expanding on advanced traversal mechanics", or "we are still working on getting movement mechanics right before we move on to other systems"?

I know I can be guilty of making assumptions, and don't want to make the mistake of thinking "really...still haven't gotten past movement?" when that isn't the case.

It's a bit of both; we have expanded the advanced traversal mechanics based on what we learned over the course of development through our most recent production push and, in that course of recent development, some of the old implementations of advanced traversal mechanics were no longer tenable because we made changes to the way the game handles player input on the controls and the core player metrics (what is "average" for things like travel speed, jump height, etc.) that necessitated changes to bring those mechanics forward. So we're in the process of both implementing new traversal elements, and refactoring/re-architecting a few of the old ones so they fit into the newer, better, input model.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
11/23/2019 12:14:29 AM #15

@Snipe

Excellent, that does clarify.

Thank you very much for the response.

Imgur