COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Metals and Ores?

Hello everyone!

Today I've got a question about the types of metals and ores that will be found in game. I plan to play a Blacksmith and one day I want to reach legendary status when it comes to being one.

I've checked the wiki and such, but all it says in terms of materials is metal and a few other things ( Metals, Stone, Gems & Minerals, Sand, Chalk, Clay) but have they confirmed any specific metals or ores?~

I can guess some sort of Iron and Steel will be put in, but I really want to know the max tier of weapons and armor I'll be able to create will be. Or perhaps the best gear won't be made from metal but from some other resource. Anyway... I'd still love to know.

(Check out my RP here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Fan-Fiction/5952-Gremlic-the-Blacksmith )

"I'll forge your Swords, Armor and even a few quests to keep you busy". - Elric, the Blacksmith.

Blackstone Forge Society

5/19/2016 4:31:52 PM #16

I completely forgot about that.

Count Esmour Hawtrey 840E3D

5/19/2016 4:32:32 PM #17

This is possible.

You can even take an existing piece of equipment and do modifications to it such for looks (like engraving) or stats (removing material to make it lighter)

5/19/2016 4:48:56 PM #18

"Why would wearing an alloy of gold and silver have anything to do with your Intellect..?" -YukiAkuma

Because it's two precious metals for the price of one, you'd be stupid not to buy it! (at least that's what the marketing department tells me to say)

"Might not be as durable, but if someone stabs an unarmored person with a bronze sword they'll do just as much damage as with a steel sword." Deffcon_1

Ah true for a simple stab, but with a weapon swing the material the weapon is made of will affect it's weight/durability. If your swing connects with the target, a heavier weapon will do much more damage than a light weapon.

5/19/2016 5:40:33 PM #19

While I agree with this, I'm also curious to see how the devs handle data mining. Will new crafting combinations be checked against a server archive for potential discoveries as opposed to formulae being located somewhere in the game client, in order to prevent data miners shelling the discovery element of the game before people can explore it for themselves?

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/19/2016 5:46:57 PM #20

Kinetic energy is defined by the mass of the object times its velocity squared - so really, it's more important how FAST you swing a weapon, rather than how heavy it is. ;)

There comes a point where a heavy weapon actually does less damage because you can't swing it fast enough.

5/19/2016 8:20:19 PM #21

Well with all of Modern Metallurgy for the science, and Metallurgic History for inspiration, I'm hoping that their system is consistent, but that they don't actually expose the numbers for us.

Bronze was in many ways better than Iron and even some Steel, but there were not many deposits of Copper near the deposits of Tin, and sourcing them was harder. So when people figured out ways to actually use Iron, as it required higher temperatures compared to Bronze, they shifted their focus to Iron and steel.

I hope that depending on source of Raw materials, the technique and skill level of refinement, what alloys made with the raw materials, as well as the skill level of the person, and quality of tools that they use, will all factor into the outcome of the item made.

Couple that in with the skill of the user of the Items, both in Armor and Weapons, and you can have a very interesting experience that can influence how well a kingdom will fare in the world.

5/19/2016 8:29:01 PM #22

Yeah, that's an important note - people didn't switch to iron because it was superior, they switched to iron because it was more common! It takes more know-how to refine it but once you know how to do it there's iron ore all over the place.

Bronze is actually an awesome material. It's way less brittle than iron and even some steels, for a start. It can also hold an edge pretty well - better than iron, although not better than steel.

5/6/2018 9:35:26 PM #23

since it is possible to have magic in the game would that mean blacksmiths and mages may work together more than in other mmo's. Then will they be able to make golems or other mythical objects used for war, mining, and contruction.

Antonio de Vinci

5/6/2018 10:11:21 PM #24

Posted By ReaperUnit at 4:35 PM - Sun May 06 2018

since it is possible to have magic in the game would that mean blacksmiths and mages may work together more than in other mmo's. Then will they be able to make golems or other mythical objects used for war, mining, and contruction.

While CoE is a fantasy-based game, it will not be so fantastical in scope where you will see mages, magic, enchantment, etc as something "normal" in-game. Magic is extremely, hidden in the nooks and crannies of Elyria, slowly making a return but you might not see it.

Out of character - there is magick in Elyria. It's rare, and powerful. It is not something that can be attained. It's something granted by the story engine. There's no quest you can go on to earn magick. It's not a character-building mechanic. It's a story-building mechanic. Most people will not even discover they have magick. And those who do may decide not to use it.
-Caspian.

I recommend reading over the Blog updates and Developer/Design Journals to understand what the game is trying to achieve, I will be locking this thread due to the necro bump.