COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
To Steam or not to Steam

To steam or not to steam.

My concerns about it.

I understand how selling a game through steam can drastically increase the profit of the company, therefore helping significantly the development of the game which in the end, should provide a better experience for the player.

Nevertheless, I've seen in my gaming experience, that is is not always the case.

Let me please give 2 recent exemples.

"Super sonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars" :

I've played this game since it's launch on PS4 in 2009... what a blast. And I can't remember situations when the gamers were unfriendly, rude or insulting... it was sort of a niche game that you'd hear about from a friend. Games were pretty convivials. Then, years later, it went on steam, with a dumbed down name and became Rocket league. Still a great game. For someone almost only playing ranked games, I must say, at the very least one out of two games has its chat polluted by either insults, or simply bad atmosphere... You can't say ONE word about the game without the typical moron automaticly responding : "Salty" or "u mad" The game is still great, but the experience is NOT the same. Steam's public has made it more toxic.

"Elite dangerous" :

Elite is a niche game. It is NOT for everybody. And before getting on steam, apart from people having too much high hopes about the state of the game at launch, it received some well deserved love and praise. Then it went on Steam ... And the negative comments from people who don't understand what is a game which doesn't take you by the hand just accumulated. People complaining about "content" without even trully understanding what "content" is... people accusing Frontier Devs to have removed the Horizon's extension and changing it into a DLC, simply to make negative review disappear, when in fact, Frontier simply, as often, listened to the community who asked for that change... People giving negative reviews about the DLC being a rip off for only offering planetary landing for 50 bucks, when these people didn't even read that it would be a one year worth expansion with tons of stuff... So at the end, A great game ends up with a mixed review, because let's face it, a vast number of people buying games on steam, may not be mature enaugh for all sorts of games.

Now ! that being said. I don't want to get into particular details of these games. I just wanted to enlighten my concerns about a steam release.

Some could say : Negative reviews don't impact your gamplay. Sure... but it can impact the reputation of the game, therefore it's income and development as well. Plus, you get all the trolls that just can't fathom the essence of the game and therefore would just YOLO it.

You could say... they won't YOLO it very long due to the mechanic. I would disagree, since they still could YOLO it 6 months... then the guys joining in 6 months later would YOLO it at best for 6 other months... at the end of the day... you wouldn't be able to play the game without a constant amount of immature toxic players. (and I think we have already enaugh "PKing guilds" as it is - wink wink)

Now.. I know a lot of us play on steam, heck I play on steam, and I know there's ton of good people on steam... but there are the others, and I'm aware I'm probably depicting the worst case scenario here, but it is something that weighs heavily over games aiming at a more mature audience such as CoE and I needed to voice it :)

Thanks for reading, and please express your ideas about a steam release. Can we do without ? is it inevitable ? is everything gonna be easy peezy lemon squeezy ? Is Steam, even worthy of CoE ? :)

EDIT : Apparently I should have clarify that a release on Steam is not planned by the devs. I just wanted to reach the subject of games for a more mature audience and Steam

The sage acts, the fool reacts. The wave is the ocean... but the ocean is not the wave.

5/25/2016 11:58:37 PM #1

It might be worth taking to Steam after it's launched and settled and doing well. Get a buzz going... get people wanting it on Steam... get everything sorted before it goes up there... and it will probably be fine. Well-made games that aren't buggy do just fine when it comes to Steam reviewers. They aren't all crazy nutjobs who hate everything. So, get it sorted then think about putting it up there. Don't just put it up there as a cash grab as that is hurtful (and something I think the devs are very mindful of, so my comment's fairly redundant anyway).

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/26/2016 1:21:41 AM #2

Soulbound has not yet declared they will launch on steam at all.BUT, I do have to agree with the OP, my experience with the steam community overall has been that the negative toxic type are the prevalent group. I wish to see many people enjoy this game, but by opening the gates directly to the steam community we would be polluting our own established home quite possibly beyond repair.

OK, that's my serious post for the day, back to finding ways to spread some chuckles.

5/26/2016 2:11:53 AM #3

Looking at games on Steam all early access games tend to have horrible reviews. Then you start reading (if you can be bother scrolling down past a over all review of Mostly Negative). comments on how this and that doesn't work and how pointless a game is when you can even play the basics. It's like they instantly forgot that it's a Early access.

Yes Steam will bring in countless players but honestly if SB could hold off till Beta opens at least before making them self's know to the "things" that live on steam. I know its very counter productive, We want people to know about this game we want people to support it but we also want it to have a proper chance to show its true value.

This is just one man's rant every one else might see it differently but thought id add my say.

5/26/2016 2:15:37 AM #4

You are trying to control the community. Don't try to control the community. Let it develop. A true sandbox will work itself out.

5/26/2016 2:28:19 AM #5

COE is on Steam to be greenlit by the community. That does not mean they will actually sell copies on steam. They are undecided on that at this time. Soulbound did say that even if they sold games on steam, people would not be required to use steam to play. Anyone could still launch there client without using steam.

5/26/2016 2:37:52 AM #6

As long as it's an option. I hate Steam. You cannot set a safe password for your acct there because it's not allowed.

Please no.

5/26/2016 2:38:59 AM #7

I thought you could tie your password to your mobile ph no.?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can do that - which is great security.

5/26/2016 2:57:18 AM #8

Caspian made it pretty clear that he doesn't mine promoting the game on Steam via the Greenlight, but he doesn't have any plans to sell it on Steam.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/26/2016 2:59:13 AM #9

I don't recall getting that option...just know they don't allow symbols length...which is death to your password. I got so tired of my steam account being hacked I just disabled it hehe.

5/26/2016 3:16:59 AM #10

To clarify:

1. We are using Steam Greenlight as a marketing opportunity.

2. At a later date we will evaluate whether an eventual release on Steam would be a good idea. One (big) consideration will be the tone of the Steam community. Another (big) downside is the 30% Steam takes from your sales.

3. We will NOT be releasing to Steam Early Access. Our view is that Alpha & Beta are for testing, not playing. Our Alpha & Beta servers will not be the full game. Features will be added & removed as is needed to test areas of the game. Servers will be wiped a LOT. None of that makes for a great play experience for someone expecting a full game.

5/26/2016 3:19:32 AM #11

Thanks, Camigwen!

5/26/2016 3:24:35 AM #12

Thanks for clarifying Camigwen! Just more reasons to believe in the devs! :D

5/26/2016 5:40:36 AM #13

I would add:

2a. Valve will have statistical data on Chronicles of Elyria. Who plays and when, how long, how often, how many players, what other games did they buy...

Of course, they won't pay you a cent back for that.

5/26/2016 8:19:55 AM #14

Thanks for the Elite info. As for steam, I know it's popular but I'm not a fan, it lags my computer when the steam app and my game is on.

5/26/2016 11:52:41 AM #15

Steam has worst community the most toxic and most retarded ....just walk around the forum and you will be ready to commit suicide after reading their verbal diarrhea.

I joined Steam only for Ark Survival and ....I never before hated human so much.