2 March

Surname Reservation Begins Now!

By Kaizen

Huzzah! Surname Reservation begins now!

We've started to roll out the surname reservation feature to users based on influence order. Not sure how much influence you have? Log in to your Chronicles of Elyria profile to find out, or go to the Surname Reservation page and check to see if you can submit your surname today!

What's Surname Reservation?

We've talked about surnames in a previous design journal, but here's a quick primer: when you reserve a surname, that surname becomes a part of the game's history on your server. Every character is born to a family in Chronicles of Elyria, and it's possible new characters will be born into your dynasty and will inherit your surname! Once you reserve a surname, no other player can claim it; it belongs to you, and you alone (and others who join your family's lineage)!

Note: Surnames are reserved on a per-server basis, with the exception of Courtiers and above, whose surnames are automatically reserved on all servers.

Are There Restrictions to the Surname I Choose?

We're building an immersive world in Chronicles of Elyria. To achieve that goal, we need to set a few parameters in place to able to maintain that immersion. So that means you won't be seeing any B0aty McB0atface's running around New Haven.

Here's the list of restrictions:

• Cannot contain numerals
  • Cannot have any leading or trailing space before or after the surname if there isn't a second word
  • Cannot contain any symbols other than one apostrophe and/or one hyphen (example: Ba-twoon'ip)
  • Can have at most one apostrophe and one hyphen
  • There can be at most one space, max of two words (example: von Baschturen, Red Beard)
  • May contain Extended Latin character set (a-z plus: À, Á, Â, Ã, Ä, Å, Æ, Ç, È, É, Ê, Ë,Í, Î, Ï, Ð, Ñ, Ò, Ó, Ô, Õ, Ö, Ø, Ù, Ú, Û, Ü, Ý, Þ, ß, à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ, ç, è, é, ê, ë, ì, í, î, ï, ð, ñ, ò, ó, ô, õ, ö, ø, ù, ú, û, ü, ý, þ, ÿ, þ, µ)
  • May contain at most two capital letters per word, one of which must be the first letter of the word (example: McDonald, Van Nuren, van Nuren)
  • May not include any of the names or words in Soulbound Studios' surname exclusion list (profanity, copyrighted names, Caspian, etc.)

If your surname does not meet the above requirements, it will be considered invalid, and you'll have to choose another surname.

And if you need some inspiration, we're giving everyone the ability to play around with our Elyrian random-name generator!

Random surnames are created using the language rules for each of our unique Elyrian languages. If you set on a surname, use the random-name generator to see what sort of surnames would be associated with the various Tribes of Mann.

Edit: 3/10/2018 - Please make sure you always use the "Check Availability" button PRIOR to submitting your surname to ensure the one you want is the one we receive.

So reserve your Surname now!

SHAETALITY - 1 month ago

I tried to get my irl last name "Silver" but it wasn't allowed? Why is that? Had to go with Sil'ver.

VioletWinterlynn - 1 month ago
@SHAETALITY:

Posted By Leona at 6:03 PM - Fri Apr 13 2018

Because a lot of names like that will most likely already be used in game via their stories or npcs lastnames as its a common one and a color. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Bently Bear - 1 month ago

Anyone know when we'll be notified if our names are accepted??

Gunnlang - 1 month ago
@Bently Bear:

Posted By Bently Bear at 12:42 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Anyone know when we'll be notified if our names are accepted??

Mine only took a few hours. But it can take a few days. Should get an automatic reply saying the surname has been submitted for review. Another reply will come in when it's done.

VioletWinterlynn - 1 month ago

Surnames! Get your surnames here!

Emerese - 2 months ago

I’d love to be able to wait for a chance to reserve my surname, it seems the link isn’t working. :/

Corin - 2 months ago
@Emerese:

Posted By Emerese at 3/13/2018 8:58:33 AM

You need to spend money to reserve your surname. Rather, you need to spend money to be able to make your own surname.

When you start the game, you are given a list of families that are open to new players, many of them NPC families. More over, there can be duplicate first names in the world, but only one family may have any unique surname. You join a family, you have now inherited their surname.

So don't worry about reserving your name if it isn't something really unique. Chances are it will be in the game regardless.

Vinn - 2 months ago

I click submit (waited 7 days+) and nothing happens. Tried on Chrome and Microsoft Edge..

Porter78 - 2 months ago

I'm just getting error accrued

Fgrobste - 2 months ago

Tried to reserve a name It told me to wait 18 days :(

Duka - 2 months ago

Ok when the post came out about a Surname reg I tried to do it and it said 6 days. now it says 6 days. and I still haven seen a registrate button only a check availability

1withapencil - 2 months ago

I'm unable to reach the reservation page while I'm logged in, but it works just fine otherwise, insofar as clicking on the different tribe icons. When I try the link when logged in, I get redirected to this error page: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/error What does "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" even mean anyway? Can I reserve a surname or not?

VioletWinterlynn - 2 months ago
@1withapencil:

Posted By 1withapencil at 12:24 AM - Sat Mar 10 2018

You can only reserve a surname if you have a bloodline+ package or you have bought the surname separately

mickdude2 - 2 months ago

There's nothing saying you have to reserve your name now. If you aren't sure what server you'll be playing on, don't reserve a name for a potentially wrong server. For people who do know what server they'll be playing on, now is as good a time as any to start reserving your name.

Dekul - 2 months ago
@mickdude2:

Posted By mickdude2 at 2:24 PM - Tue Mar 06 2018

What he said, Caspian has made clear that you don't have to reserve now. It was the same answer for people who want to wait till we have land and know our tribes before selecting names, you're free to do so, the early selection is for people who are sure of their name (and apparently, their server) and want to lock it down now.

HolyAvengerOne - 2 months ago
@Dekul:

Posted By Dekul at 3/6/2018 8:37:20 PM

Posted By mickdude2 at 2:24 PM - Tue Mar 06 2018

You don't have to reserve now, but then why is there a reservation based on IP? The answer is simple : because players do value the fact that they can lock in their surname so other people can't take it.

To have to make that choice right now without having the information required to make a choice on the server is either to forfeit on that value, or forfeit on choosing the best server for one's gameplay.

HolyAvengerOne - 2 months ago

Can we at least get the surname reservation (for us non-nobles) apply across all servers until server selection? And then it "follows" you on whatever server you pick for your backer package?

SoLarRax - 2 months ago

I just read a post below mind that talks about Cornelius not being allowed That name cannot be trademarked or copyrighted without adding a surname to it In other words it has to be allowed under common use law unless the name were Cornelius fudge.

Dekul - 2 months ago
@SoLarRax:

Posted By SoLarRax at 09:35 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

It may be that Cornelius is blocked because of other reasons, it was not an SBS member who brought up Cornelius fudge as a reason.

SoLarRax - 2 months ago

Trying to use mobile to connect just doesn’t seem to work Having a mayor package I get the message that it is not my turn to reserve a name and that I should return in nine days to check

HolyAvengerOne - 2 months ago

You are not choosing a server, you are selecting a server in which you'd like to reserve your surname.

But we ARE effectively choosing a server... I don't know why you guys try to twist it that way.

Malais - 2 months ago
@HolyAvengerOne:

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 07:55 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Names for counts and up are reserved across all servers.

Edit: in addition since servers are geographic based most already know what server they need to be on for performance.

CommonlyQuixotic - 2 months ago
@HolyAvengerOne:

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 08:55 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

You could, in theory, reserve a surname on one server but play on a different server. Souls will eventually be server locked, but choosing a surname on one server does not lock your souls to that server.

Dekul - 2 months ago
@HolyAvengerOne:

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 07:55 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

So what's wrong with that? Most people already know which server they plan to play on. If you're not sure then wait and choose it later. Also if you're a count or above your selection is automatically reserved for all servers. I'm guessing they didn't do that for all the people below count level because they didn't want to make too many surnames restricted across 4 servers.

HolyAvengerOne - 2 months ago
@Dekul:

Posted By Dekul at 11:54 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 07:55 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

What's wrong is that we don't have tools in our hands to make that decision yet, such as server actual location, and hence the difference in latency between locations. That's especially true for folks in NA, between -W and -E. This is something Casp told us we would have prior to server selection.

While it is true that you could still play on another server that you reserved your name on, what's the point of name reservation then? I feel like I'm being asked to use my backer perk now, at the risk of losing its benefits later.

I'm just asking for more information about it, and that it's made straightforward.

Ragnar_Nordskov - 2 months ago

No offense but....your mobile access is pretty bad. Please update it. It’s cancer trying to login and navigate through words being cut off by picture animations.

Athad - 2 months ago

Thanks for the replies, I hope your right about the token.

Athad - 2 months ago

Since we don't all know what tribe we will be yet, If we reserve a sure name and it doesn't blend with our tribe are we able to choose another?

Zoroaster - 2 months ago
@Athad:

Posted By Athad at 2:46 PM - Sat Mar 03 2018

This is the problem with the metagame of thrones folks have been participating in.

Why would there be a rename token? What if someone else has the name you desire for your second or third or 5th pick of race? Folks are going to start complaining that they got screwed out of their name and didnt get what they pay for because of all this rubbish.

You can either choose loyalty to your "lord", probably a person you've never met who has offered you nothing but empty promises based off of a product they know next to nothing about, or you can choose to play the game you want, get what you paid for, and join the kingdom that plays with the choices you actually like.

You cant have both is what it is boiling down to. Although the MMO community is famous for complaining loudly until they get something that makes nobody happy. We might just find ourselves there.

Poldano - 2 months ago
@Athad:

Posted By Athad at 2:46 PM - Sat Mar 03 2018

You'll be able to purchase a rename token that lets you do so.

West - 2 months ago
@Athad:

Posted By Athad at 5:46 PM - Sat Mar 03 2018

You do not have to use the surname you reserve. You could also wait until after domain selection if you want to ensure that you are using an appropriate tribal surname.

Thrud - 2 months ago

Any chance we got the dictionary for Elyria languages (from Vye) BEFORE we select some stupid name?

Obou - 2 months ago

Mine is still available but have to wait 7d 22h 22s

Zoroaster - 2 months ago

Guys, no offense....

But the names generated by the random tool are even worse than the random names from EverQuest.

They look like gobbledygook, with obviously not even a trace of linguistic origin or structure.

Anyone who uses this would be mostly disappointed.

Poldano - 2 months ago
@Zoroaster:

Posted By Zoroaster at 10:35 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Guys, no offense....

Anyone who uses this would be mostly disappointed.

Remember the mantra, "If at first you don't suck seed, keep on sucking until you do suck seed."

Just keep churning the name generator until something comes up that you can tolerate. Or, churn your personal creativity to come up with a suitable word meaningful in English.

I wouldn't know how to judge whether or not the generator makes use of linguistic origin or structure. I do see some characteristic patterns in the generated names, however, and this is what I would expect from linguistic structure.

jozeph - 2 months ago

I wanted to reserve the family name Cornelius, but i get a message that the name is invalid. I've tried all kinds of variations on that name and all those seem to be acceptable. Any idea why Cornelius is refused? If I pick something like Čornelius, will that name be refused later on?

KipFoE - 2 months ago
@jozeph:

Posted By jozeph at 1:02 PM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Cornelius is the first name of a character from Harry Potter, which might be why you are getting that message. It's probably considered a copyrighted name or a name from another, well-known, fictional universe.

Cornelius Fudge was the minister of magic in Harry Potter.

Mace - 2 months ago
@KipFoE:

Given that "Baggins" isn't marked as invalid, I'd guess it's something else. It could be as simple as that name already being reserved across all servers.

Gunnlang - 2 months ago
@KipFoE:

Posted By KipFoE at 2:52 PM - Sat Mar 03 2018

Cornelius Fudge was the minister of magic in Harry Potter.

The only problem with that is, that really removes so many names. Also why is fudge not invalid as well. I wouldn't even think of him as a major character. So that means any minor ones from any well known universe are gone. I will now test this theory.

VioletWinterlynn - 2 months ago
@jozeph:

Posted By jozeph at 11:02 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

yes Joseph. Please read the FAQ attached to the post.

Resolute - 2 months ago

12 days to wait.... /facepalm

VioletWinterlynn - 2 months ago

The order for Surname picking is strictly based on Influence and not related to pledge tier.

Darn Sakato - 2 months ago

You could also add letters like (Š,Č,Ć,Ž)

Rogosh Talmour - 2 months ago

Says I still can't reserve my surname for like 9 more days. I have a baron package so why do I have to wait longer? The email said anyone with bloodline or above can reserve.

Desophyr - 2 months ago
@Rogosh Talmour:

Posted By Rogosh Talmour at 3/2/2018 2:23:41 PM

How much Influence you have accrued is what determines when you get your name. Kings, dukes, and counts will get theirs first. Since there's more people with barpn packages, those will take longer. At least you don't have to wait a month.

Gunnlang - 2 months ago
@Rogosh Talmour:

Posted By Rogosh Talmour at 01:23 AM - Sat Mar 03 2018

It's all based off influence. They can't look at thousands of names at once, so basically spread them out.

Seeing you are rank 7 and I have heard people over 70k IP waiting 2-3 days, you are pretty sweet really.

Myrlin98 - 2 months ago

maybe i missed something or it could not be that big of deal but other then typing in the known address or coming through the forums I don't see a way to navigate to the name selection page from the main page.

Poldano - 2 months ago
@Myrlin98:

Posted By Myrlin98 at 05:34 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Go to the OP message and click on the red lettered phrase "Surname Reservation page" in the first paragraph.

(Excuse my crude reference, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to use Markup yet.)

VioletWinterlynn - 2 months ago
@Poldano:

Posted By Poldano at 10:03 PM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Posted By Myrlin98 at 05:34 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Yessums, thats how its suppose to be as it is linked to your profile (Towards Myrlin)

Eurickdm - 2 months ago

I'll be able to reserve my surname sooner than i expected, nice!

MaverickMissy - 2 months ago

Little sad I have to wait about 27 days but just keep my fingers crossed that my surname I want isn't sniped.

Esoba - 2 months ago

I can't wait to pass some time at work today exploring names. I've already got in mind what I want my surname to be so I'll be using it to get some tribe specific first name ideas.

Zakarus - 2 months ago

I'm like a kid in a candy store checking at all the generated names for each tribe.

Eltorine - 2 months ago
@Zakarus:

Me too, haha!

Aika - 2 months ago

Anyone who dares to steal my name will suffer :|

Is there a way to see which person took what name ?

Silus - 2 months ago
@Aika:

yea, you can wait till the game comes out and glare at them as they pass in front of you.

Ravenlute - 2 months ago
@Aika:

Posted By Aika at 02:31 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Anyone who dares to steal my name will suffer :|

Is there a way to see which person took what name ?

Not yet.

LeBron - 2 months ago

Looking forward to finally get my surname!

Shamstone - 2 months ago

Just a quick question - if my brother and I both wanted to have the same surname/ be in the same family, is there a way to both choose the same surname. Or, do we both choose something separate now and when we create our real toon to play there will be an option then?

VioletWinterlynn - 2 months ago
@Shamstone:

Posted By Shamstone at 01:23 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

Q37: If players intend to play as a family with the same surname, or two counts intend on playing as brother and sister, can they all choose the same surname? A37: They can be in the same family, which is why "surnames wont always be unique" is accurate. If a group of players want to be part of the same family, there will be a way of the surname owner to share that last name with them with personas.

Q26: I want my friend to enter the same surname as I did so we can start out in the same family, but it won’t let us do it because I’ve already claimed it. What can we do? A26: The reservation tool works as intended. Surname reservation does not allow you to join the same family that way. Stay tuned for more information on personas and how to become part of the same family at a later point in time.

Hopefully this answers your question! Its from the post -- https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23975/Surname-Reservation-begins-in-March

Poldano - 2 months ago
@Shamstone:

Posted By Shamstone at 12:23 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

This question has been asked a lot. One of you will have to reserve the surname you want to use. This will prevent anyone else (even your brother) from using it. At launch, or maybe earlier, you can open family NPC slots for your brother to take over. That much I'm quite sure will work, per current plans.

It is possible that at some future time there will be some mechanic that allows granting access to the surname specifically, without the family membership that comes with some risky side effects.

Poldano - 2 months ago

I have 1 comment and 2 questions.

The comment: Did anyone really expect the most influential people to get zero time to choose their names? I have 25 days to wait, and I expected to wait at least 60 days. After playing with the name generator for about an hour, I'm even less in a hurry to select a name. I need to let the words sink in until I can sense a pattern.

The questions:

(1) Is there a pronunciation guide or guides? I'm making guesses at how to pronounce things, and English is a very bad language to use as an example (quite possibly the worst).

(2) I see recurring patterns in the names. I wonder if these are meaningful terms in their own right, and are combined in names similarly to the way RL words are combined in names. Is there information available about the meanings of some of these segments? One example is "piajesi" for Dras.

DerryFH - 2 months ago

Damn it, almost tempted to up my package.. but the jump to the next tier is more than I spend on entertainment in a quarter.. taking the currency exchange into account. Damn.. 6.5 days

Silus - 2 months ago
@DerryFH:

won't matter, the selection order is locked at this point. i would say.

Desophyr - 2 months ago

Well, I guess a month is...

Okay, it's pretty bad. Doesn't really matter to me though. If someone picks the same surname I have in mind, I'd probably be more impressed than angry.

Buffbc - 2 months ago

Oh well I guess I feel a bit better after seeing 12 days of waiting.

It does seem like a very long time after all the hype!

Tsumikara - 2 months ago

Huh, I Font habe a Timer? Ans where should I see this one?

Edit: ok it's too early for me ~.~. I have found the timer and I need to wait 7 days 😭

Cambin - 2 months ago

That's a bit silly to tease a surname period and then make people wait upwards of 30 days. A day or two? Sure. I guess I can't seem to understand the logic in that time frame decision.

Teland - 2 months ago
@Cambin:

Posted By Cambin at 9:08 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

Not really silly. You have hundreds, if not thousands, of name submissions to go through. You have limited staff and limited time in the day. They won't throw the whole staff at the job as some need to keep working on game dev and code stuff. Sorry if you're upset you have to wait longer than you thought you would have to but it makes sense. Gotta do them in batches and also give people in each batch a little grace period in which to respond and come up with backups in case their first choice was denied.

Mydiis - 2 months ago
@Cambin:

Posted By Cambin at 12:08 AM - Fri Mar 02 2018

They have to review all the names, it takes a while

Teland - 2 months ago

No matter how long you may have to wait, the silver lining is that we're making progress! Well done to the SBS team for keeping with the original release day. The reservation page looks good.

altuis - 2 months ago

Only 30 days to I save my name lol

kajoreh - 2 months ago

And here I was worried that I was going out of town over the weekend and might miss my window...NOT

Zeyron_Shadowalker - 2 months ago

5 DAYS UNTIL GET NAME. I CRI.

But for reals I am psyched and all, this suspense will kill me. XD

Nyarxu - 2 months ago

Completely understand doing it by influence order but dang gotta wait a week before I do it. The suspense builds

KipFoE - 2 months ago

And they're off!

Silus - 2 months ago

sheesh, 8 days till i can pick a surname

NiHZ - 2 months ago

Yaaaaaaaaaaas

Jaidic - 2 months ago

Good Luck everyone!

Kaizen - 2 months ago

For an FAQ on Surname Reservations, see this post.