14 February

Surname Reservation begins in March!

By Kaizen

Last year, we hinted that surname reservation would be on the way very shortly. We had to do additional work to ensure account merging went smoothly, but now that we've completed those tasks, it's time to start the march towards surname reservation!

Starting on March 1, we'll start to roll out the surname reservation feature to users based on influence order. Not sure how much influence you have? Log in to your Chronicles of Elyria profile to find out!

This is your opportunity to reserve a unique surname in Chronicles of Elyria! To participate in surname reservation, you need a minimum pledge package of Bloodline or above, or a Surname & Coat of Arms item from our online store.

What's Surname Reservation?

Reserve a surname that becomes a part of the game's history on your server. Build a dynasty with a custom surname that will last centuries in the game! When your character's soul moves on to the next body, your surname will live on over the generations of which Chronicles of Elyria will unfold.

Are There Restrictions to the Surname I Choose?

We're building an immersive world in Chronicles of Elyria. To achieve that goal, we need to set a few parameters in place to able to maintain that immersion. So that means you won't be seeing any B0aty McB0atface's running around New Haven. Here's the list of restrictions:

• Cannot contain numerals
  • Cannot have any leading or trailing space before or after the surname if there isn't a second word
  • Cannot contain any symbols other than one apostrophe and/or one hyphen (example: Ba-twoon'ip)
  • Can have at most one apostrophe and one hyphen
  • There can be at most one space, max of two words (example: von Baschturen, Red Beard)
  • May contain Extended Latin character set (a-z plus: À, Á, Â, Ã, Ä, Å, Æ, Ç, È, É, Ê, Ë,Í, Î, Ï, Ð, Ñ, Ò, Ó, Ô, Õ, Ö, Ø, Ù, Ú, Û, Ü, Ý, Þ, ß, à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ, ç, è, é, ê, ë, ì, í, î, ï, ð, ñ, ò, ó, ô, õ, ö, ø, ù, ú, û, ü, ý, þ, ÿ, þ, µ)
  • May contain at most two capital letters per word, one of which must be the first letter of the word (example: McDonald, Van Nuren, van Nuren)
  • May not include any of the names or words in Soulbound Studios' surname exclusion list (profanity, copyrighted names, Caspian, etc.)
  • If your surname does not meet the above requirements, it will be considered invalid, and you'll have to choose another surname.

And if you need some inspiration, we're giving everyone the ability to play around with our Elyrian random-name generator! Random surnames are created using the language rules we create for each language. Use the random-name generator to see what sort of surnames would be associated with the tribes of Elyria!

How Will It Work?

• You'll need to log into your Chronicles of Elyria account before you can start the surname reservation process.
  • You'll need to own either a Bloodline or above package, OR a Surname and Coat of Arms item to reserve your surname.
  • We'll announce the web address for surname reservation when it goes live. Once we've published that page, there will be an "availability" button you can click, and you'll find out if the surname of your choosing is: available, unavailable, or invalid. If your surname is unavailable or invalid, you will be notified and you'll have to enter another surname.
  • Once you choose an available surname, you'll click on submit and the name will enter the approval process. You will be notified via private message regarding if your surname was approved or rejected. If your surname was approved, congratulations! If your surname was denied, you will have to start the process over again.

Soulbound Studios reserves the right to approve or reject any submitted surname. All surnames will go through an approval process and surnames may be rejected that are inappropriate to the game world, even if they do not violate the above criteria.

A Sneak Peek

In case you missed it in a recent post from Executive Producer Vye, here's a look at what the page will look like when it launches in March.

Still have questions?

If you are unable to find your answer on the page above you can get help via one of these alternate methods:

• Reach out to the community in this thread
  • Connect with our community in our official live Discord chat server.
  • Contact us directly at support@soulboundstudios.com. Please include as much detail as possible.
  • Read the FAQ below (or click here!)

Edit: 2/26/2018 - Edited final total of 63 allowable extended Latin characters

WalkahWalkah - 7 months ago

I accidentally typed in the wrong name! Can I change it after its been approved?

VioletWinterlynn - 7 months ago
@WalkahWalkah:

Posted By WalkahWalkah at 8:05 PM - Tue Mar 13 2018

I would say contact sbs

Malkavia - 7 months ago

If I were to attempt to join a Dras "warrior" family as a child, would my surname overwrite the existing family surname or would I have to start without a family to keep the attached surname?

Loquai - 7 months ago

I typed in name, was available, submitted on 3/11...was approved on 3/12...only submit once...if you do a second time, says you have to buy

Digby - 7 months ago

I have a count package, I have been unable to reserve my name, it still wants me to buy the right to have a surname and yet I have a count package and it states within my package that I get a surname reservation. could you please help.

Odsbodikins - 7 months ago
@Digby:

Posted By Digby at 12:29 AM - Fri Mar 09 2018

Check your forum mail for your notification that your name is submitted, a seperate email will also show up there for that name being approved or denied.

VioletWinterlynn - 7 months ago
@Digby:

Posted By Digby at 01:29 AM - Fri Mar 09 2018

If you claimed it you'll get a message that its going through the approval process, if you press it multiple times it says you need to buy another one

Bricksta Riggz - 8 months ago

4 days and 9 hours

Noway - 8 months ago

It's not currently your turn to reserve a surname. Please check again in: 26d 10h 14m 32s

I own the Surname and Coat of Arms item

Why I can't reserv my surname?

captrench - 8 months ago
@Noway:

Posted By Noway at 12:00 AM - Sat Mar 03 2018

I own the Surname and Coat of Arms item

Why I can't reserv my surname?

Surname reservation is allowed in order of Influence, from highest to lowest. So if you have lots of Influence you will be able to select your surname sooner, if not, it will be later.

Soulbound have stated they are not publishing the list of accounts + Influence.

Noway - 8 months ago
@captrench:

Thank you, I didn't know about this =) I only have 800 points of influence

Kerlem - 8 months ago

As one of the low nobility/high gentry. I'll let you know when I get my notification - or at least the timestamp on the email.

[EDIT] Six days and seven hours from now. :D

Zeyron_Shadowalker - 8 months ago

Still a little lost on how each player will learn its their turn... anyone able to explain or point me to the explaination?

Curse - 8 months ago
@Zeyron_Shadowalker:

By what it says at the top of the article, they're allowing the most influential people (pretty much those who paid the most) to claim their surnames first. It'll eventually get to everyone who has the ability to claim names.

Rhiri - 8 months ago

I have a question...so if someone is paying off a Bloodline package on layaway, are they barred from name reservation until it is paid off in full? Or can we do a reservation anyway? Just wondering.

Barleyman - 8 months ago
@Rhiri:

Posted By Rhiri at 3:55 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

You have to completely pay off your package before you can reserve a surname.

See question 9 on page one of the comments.

Rhiri - 8 months ago
@Barleyman:

Posted By Barleyman at 2:59 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

Posted By Rhiri at 3:55 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

You have to completely pay off your package before you can reserve a surname.

See question 9 on page one of the comments.

Haha, I must have totally skipped over that when I was reading them. Didn't even see it. Thank you. :)

Kelryth - 8 months ago

Arent I supposed to see some sort of a timer when I log in??

Jaidic - 8 months ago
@Kelryth:

Posted By Kelryth at 2:36 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

Arent I supposed to see some sort of a timer when I log in??

"Serpentius:dragon_face: - Today at 8:22 PM Hey everyone, we're finishing up some last minute things, so to properly set expectations and not cause anyone to stay up later than they want, we do not anticipate Surname reservations going live at exactly noon pacific time as we originally hoped. It will STILL be today, but early afternoon instead of in 39 minutes." Early afternoon it is

Vina - 8 months ago

Well, my entire game strategy thus far has revolved around my last name being McB0atface, so way to ruin all of my fun! ;)

Jaidic - 8 months ago
@Vina:

Posted By Vina at 1:54 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

lolol

Histati - 8 months ago
@Jaidic:

Posted By Jaidic at 2:55 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

Posted By Vina at 1:54 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

lolol

He is a self griefer!!! 😂

Zeyron_Shadowalker - 8 months ago

Lets get it going boys and girls! March first is here! >:D

Orashna - 8 months ago

So exciting! I can't wait to lock in my name to begin the Histories of my line in Elyria

Juris Primus - 8 months ago

Do I have to log out and back in, or will a simple refresh suffice to see the timer?

Hieronymus - 8 months ago

Thanks for the update Mick.

p.s. If the website isn't working correctly, how would we even know? Will there be an email notification as well?

mickdude2 - 8 months ago

The highest IP backers will start to see it at noon PST- roughly four and a half hours from the time of this post.

Kelryth - 8 months ago

Wake up Dev's its time to work!! :D

Tsumikara - 8 months ago

I was corious what Time they have and now I'm shocked O.O They have only 5:26 a.m. T.T

Kelryth - 8 months ago

Technically, its been March for 7 hours and 46 minutes here in Toronto, Ontario Canada :)

Tsumikara - 8 months ago
@Kelryth:

Posted By Kelryth at 1:46 PM - Thu Mar 01 2018

Technically, its been March for 7 hours and 46 minutes here in Toronto :)

In Germany its already for 13 hours and 47 minutes :) And I'm so excited and I hate it to wait xD

Isil - 8 months ago
@Tsumikara:

Ha try Australia :D its almost the 2nd

Kelryth - 8 months ago

Ok Its March now! Onwards!!

Eurickdm - 8 months ago

Just thinking about the non english puns and double-meaning surnames that the noneglish speakers will sneak into the game...

Kelryth - 8 months ago

I'm so excited. I have my surname picked out I just hope its accepted and that no one gets it before me!! :)

jonpro - 8 months ago
@Kelryth:

same here just waiting for it to go live

Kayadine - 8 months ago

It would seem, to me, that surname selection makes more sense to follow land selection... Many surnames would likely be influenced heavily by tribe and certain surnames wouldn't necessarily fit certain tribes very well.

I realize my thoughts will likely have little to no affect on this decision, but it seems like an odd order to things.

Polite - 8 months ago
@Kayadine:

Posted By Kayadine at 6:11 PM - Sun Feb 25 2018

Having the order this way gives something natural that is less high stakes for them to do a complete live test of using the website to reserve something. Personally I think it's great to have this as something to test on before Domain Selection.

Additionally if you're someone for who the tribe or so on is important for your surname just wait until later :)

Stealthwire - 8 months ago

The hype is real. If only my final exams this week were not...

Sport - 8 months ago

Super excited! Only a few days away!

Vucar - 8 months ago

Excited to reserve the House of Trump.

Get ready to make elyria great again yall.

Flashman - 8 months ago
@Vucar:

Posted By Vucar at 4:03 PM - Sun Feb 25 2018

Excited to reserve the House of Trump.

Get ready to make elyria great again yall.

I'd be stunned if that wasn't already on SBS' exclusion list.

RedDoggybone - 8 months ago
@Flashman:

Posted By Flashman at 01:48 AM - Sun Feb 25 2018

Posted By Vucar at 4:03 PM - Sun Feb 25 2018

Excited to reserve the House of Trump.

Get ready to make elyria great again yall.

I'd be stunned if that wasn't already on SBS' exclusion list.

Starring Kevin Spacey? I hear he might be free.

I must ask some questions if you want my support.

Would you support the NBA ("The National Bow Association.") and their policy of arming every Kypiq with a fast loading bow if you were the House of Trump?

Do you have enough EP to actually pay for building a wall around your lands? And if not, will you make the Waerd pay for it?

Have you ever grabbed a female Brudvir by her diaper bottoms and if so did she grab you back?

When famine struck your lands a few years back was it Obama's fault?

Is it true that once a week you travel your lands where the wild things live and chant "lock her up" as you lead them in prayer?

Have you ever told a lie?

wangxinyi - 8 months ago

Can I have a family name in Chinese?

Polite - 8 months ago
@wangxinyi:

Posted By wangxinyi at 11:02 PM - Sat Feb 24 2018

姓氏可以用中文吗?

This reads, "Can I have a family name in Chinese?". To answer only the extended Latin character set is allowed for characters in the surname,

May contain Extended Latin character set (a-z plus: ç, ñ, ß, µ, å, æ, â, à, á, ä, ê, ë, è, é, î, ì, í, ï, ø, ô, ò, ó, ö, û, ù, ú, ü, ÿ)

Please be sure to include an English translation when using a foreign language on the forums Wangxinyi :)

Loyheta - 8 months ago

Q30: How much time will I have to reserve my surname before it will be open to players with less influence points than me?

A30: We are not revealing the influence order or intervals between reservation windows. Please check your private messages for a notification of when your reservation window is open.

Good to know. Sounds like it was just going to go all at once, which is why I scoured the FAQs. Hopefully you do it in limited volleys so I don't have to fight over my completely unoriginal name xD

Nahkahiiri - 8 months ago

Last name Salmon, first name Ella. Totally valid name.

Come on march, be here already! Although I might never use my name myself since I'm not sure which tribe I'll be playing. Maybe I reserve a name and then help that family in secret. Long live Salmon-dynasty!

Snipperhoofd - 8 months ago

I know Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck and Blåck are treated as being the same, but what about Blaeck and Blæck? Or Russel and Rußel for that matter?

Caspian - 8 months ago
@Snipperhoofd:

Posted By Snipperhoofd at 3:20 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

Blaeck and Blæck are treated the same. Russel and Rußel are not treated the same, as we use the visual grapheme, so Rußel and RuBel (or rubel for that matter) are treated the same.

U3L - 7 months ago
@Caspian:

Posted By Caspian at 9:16 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

Posted By Snipperhoofd at 3:20 PM - Wed Feb 21 2018

Will names like Draß and HroÞi be accepted because they look like Drab and Hropi, or not because they sound like Dras and Hrothi?

Juris Primus - 8 months ago

Can the rename token I received be used by my alt to rename an npc family name? That would let me have my titled character name, as well as my "commoner" family name for my crafter.

Moonlynx - 8 months ago

I know that this will be an odd question, but is the surname reserved required to be the title holding character? Could it be the surname of an alt? I have specific plans for the title holder which has a family connection, but my alt that I plan to run could use a different surname.

Varhukan - 8 months ago

alright cool!

Nethu - 8 months ago

Don't know if it was answered anywhere before but will you consider expanding the available letters for us slavs? For example č, ž, đ and the rest?

HeadUpHigh - 8 months ago

I'm so hyped for this. Can't wait to reserve my surname, although I'll probably have to wait a while, since my influence isn't that high. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Eurickdm - 8 months ago

Is the examples list just missing the "with tide" section as in "ã", or it isn't present in the unicode latin extended?

Dworvin - 8 months ago

What if I have the package that allows a custom surname but I will be joining another family when game launches? Do I give the surname to a random NPC family a friend or what not? Will I have rights to player codes to that family in the future? Can I reserve a character from that family for my friend to take over that does not have the ability to have a surname? Or will surnames be like items I can use at any time?...

O and if I ever created a character that does not have a family (forgets what they are called) when if I married another player that does not have a family can we come up with our own family name without the surname package?

That last one I just figured I would throw that out for the sake of throwing that out.

Mandos - 8 months ago

Hey Serp,

How strict will the copyright stuff for names be? For example can we make names using combined words from fictional languages such as dothraki, khazdul, etc etc?

Or is it more to stop names like Legolas, Stark etc

Thanks!

Vye - 8 months ago
@Mandos:

It's to avoid things like Legolas and Drizzt Do'urden since those are well-known characters in other fictional universes.

Hakeem the Dreamcrafter - 8 months ago
@Vye:

Posted By Vye at 3:30 PM - Tue Feb 20 2018

But LegoLizzt and Gro'urden are still valid?

Poldano - 8 months ago
@Hakeem the Dreamcrafter:

Posted By Hakeem the Dreamcrafter at 10:08 PM - Tue Feb 20 2018

Posted By Vye at 3:30 PM - Tue Feb 20 2018

But LegoLizzt and Gro'urden are still valid?

Clever!

I suppose SBS will take the hint and include some automated text processing in the validation process to filter at least some of the toxic easter egg possibilities.

Ersatz - 8 months ago

You do not "have to" select a surname until exposition. By then, you will know which tribe, etc. you will have.

If you are concerned that your surname will be taken before then, then you must have already selected one that you want.

kajoreh - 8 months ago
@Ersatz:

Posted By Ersatz at 3:53 PM - Thu Feb 15 2018

You do not "have to" select a surname until exposition.

Exactly. It's not a requirement, but a service they are providing to those who wish to do so. And it is primarily based on the amount of $ the person has contributed, so that those who have invested the most do not get their chosen names sniped by others.

Consider it a bonus in the package that you can, but are not required to, cash in today (march) or tomorrow (post march). It's totally up to you depending on what is important to your character. It's also kind of a trial run on what will also happen with land and tribe selections.

Every Choice Has Consequences.

That's the whole point of the game.

This is just one.

(That's also a nice tag line too, if they are looking for a marketing slogan.)

Serpentius - 8 months ago

FYI - A29 has changed.

Sullen - 8 months ago

I have brought this up numerous times but not many seemed interested. The answer I get from the Devs are that it is just a name, there is nothing wrong with a Dras having a Kypiq name. I have always thought surnames should come after we see a map and land selection so we know what Tribe we will play but apparently no one else agrees.

Ibenholt - 8 months ago
@Sullen:

Posted By Sullen at 9:29 PM - Thu Feb 15 2018

You are not alone; spite that the majority apparently, according to some, does not care one chocolate chipped cookie about their choice of tribe, and more about their surname. It does take away some immersion to run into, say a Kypiq with a Dras sounding surname, but at least they are doing that extra effort to try and prevent stupid lame arse surnames and the thousands of popular fantasy names out their, ie. Legolas/Ligolas etc.

But who cares about what a common Kypiq thinks, you'll probably just try to eat us anyway or commit genocide on us asap.

Can I bribe you with a chocolate chipped cookie and a surname?

hands out a cookie to the first come first served and a small piece of paper with a surname on it

vander Loivenskjold

Gromschlog - 8 months ago

If I need to chose a tribe to secure my name... then how can this happen, before I know where I'll settle? Or do I limit my choices to areas where the chosen tribe exists, if I claim a name in March? Or is the tribe choice only for rng names and irrelevant for playerchosen names? Like, can I take an rng kipiq name for a janoa?

Is name and tribe in any way linked or locked?

Ereshkigal - 8 months ago

l and I... l=L and I=i schould look different aswell...

Daynen - 8 months ago

Calling it now: someone WILL go out of their way to get "McBoatface" in some other language or some way that gets through the approval process. You KNOW they're going to try.

And then they'll never get on a boat for as long as they play the game Just to spite us all.

kajoreh - 8 months ago

Happy Face

graou13 - 8 months ago

I don't get it, you say copyrighted names are forbidden but copyright doesn't apply to names? see: https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18copyrightnames

do you mean trademarked names?

RedDoggybone - 8 months ago

Hmmm, I wonder how you say Crapus Irregulus in Brudvir?

Zakarus - 8 months ago

Looking forward to this.

CommonlyQuixotic - 8 months ago

I am definitely looking forward to surname reservation as the first of many exciting things happening this year. Keep up the good work!

Tonchek - 8 months ago

Damn and here i was thinking of naming myself McCaspian....

Joking.

Nice news guys.

Augustus_Aquila - 8 months ago

Nice indeed .. cannot wait. 👍

TheEvilBassist - 8 months ago

Awesome, looking forward to it. Don't give my name to an NPC.

JackShareburg - 8 months ago

Time to prepare 🔏

SilkyBazaar - 8 months ago

How will phonetic versions of non English languages work and will they be accepted even if the vowel usage may seem strange to an English speaker?

Example: phonetically the Thai word for pygmy is bpik-mii which alone in a word filter will look strange but with an explanation for a potential Kypiq may not seem so strange.

Desophyr - 8 months ago

I was wondering if copyrighted names would apply to surnames used in popular fiction, like Tyrell or Potter?

Not that I want to use one, although I've seen a few people around the forums with names like Redwyne and Emiya, and I feel like people like them might want to use those surnames.

Prof_Griz - 8 months ago

starts counting the days to March 1st

looks at Settler package

snaps fingers and sets date to indefinite

VioletWinterlynn - 8 months ago

\o/

Juris Primus - 8 months ago

If you are going to allow extended latin characters, perhaps a tutorial on how to use them? Like Lethality said, we'd be unable to initiate chat with someone using ß or æ without cut and paste.

Lethality - 8 months ago

"ç, ñ, ß, µ, å, æ, â, à, á, ä, ê, ë, è, é, î, ì, í, ï, ø, ô, ò, ó, ö, û, ù, ú, ü, ÿ"

Noooo :(

Please reconsider on those... No one knows how to type them, so will make initiating chat with those folks kind of difficult.

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

Dekul - 8 months ago
@Lethality:

Posted By Lethality at 6:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Noooo :(

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

Apparently the game treats them the same as normal letters from what I'm reading, so you don't have to spell them correctly.

Gunnlang - 8 months ago
@Dekul:

Posted By Dekul at 2:09 PM - Thu Feb 15 2018

Posted By Lethality at 6:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Noooo :(

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

Do people really bother in any game trying to spell them correctly? Even when I have used them myself, I didn't care when people spelled them wrong. Mostly cause I was after the normal way.

Personally I see using them as pointless in general. Most people probably won't use them. Gotta hope any map makers even bother with using them. In the end it just becomes a small circle that even cares.

I only saw a point of them when basically every name was already taken, like in some MMOs. But whatever floats people boats.

Dreamar - 8 months ago
@Lethality:

Posted By Lethality at 11:11 AM - Thu Feb 15 2018

Noooo :(

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

They semi answered this actually,

Q19 and A19 - "as we treat them the same as normal letters when looking for used names. Essentially, Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same."

Meaning people will be able to write the name normally even if the special version was used in the actual name. I suspect most people tend to try write the names normally, before seeking clarification if the first attempt fails.

Daynen - 8 months ago
@Dreamar:

I'm glad they're addressing this and I hope the system works as fluidly as they envision. I can't count the number of insufferable people I've met in MMO's who are so hard to track down, mute and report for their behavior because of "special characters" in their name a game interface that isn't equipped to handle them.

See this is what I love about SBS. they've been playing the same games we have and they're tired of the same crap we are, so they're SOLVING THE PROBLEMS. Elyria for life.

Augustus_Aquila - 8 months ago
@Daynen:

Posted By Daynen at 2:59 PM - Thu Feb 15 2018

You totaly right mate.... same crap every mmorpg i played... finally a Studio with Balls.

Sareseras - 8 months ago

I wonder if Sarescaspianseras would be fine, or other names that are not allowed packed between other names/words.

Please kindly add this as Q39 since we never know if somebody wants to sneak in unapproved words.

Artsykidd - 8 months ago
@Sareseras:

Posted By Sareseras at 7:03 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

The manual approval process would filter out any attempts to exploit the system if they are an actual concern.

Syzygy - 8 months ago

Looks awesome! It's exciting to see these logistical pieces come together.

Posted By Serpentius at 11:11 AM - Wed Feb 14 2018

A12: You can email support@soulbooundstudios.com if you feel strongly there is a bug. However, all decisions made by Soulbound in response to your inquiry are final and cannot be disputed.

Wanted to also point out the typo in the support email address, just in case someone were to mistakenly email "soulbooundstudios".

Serpentius - 8 months ago
@Syzygy:

Posted By Syzygy at 3:55 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Looks awesome! It's exciting to see these logistical pieces come together.

Posted By Serpentius at 11:11 AM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Thanks, fixed :)

sagron - 8 months ago

I believe it was stated counts and above will reserve on all servers instead of just one - any chance of a purchasable that will allow others to do the same?

Lira - 8 months ago

Oh boy, oh boy! Also thank you for disallowing similar names in regards to the Latin ASCII characters.

RyLemos - 8 months ago

What is the rule set for first names? Any minimum characters?

ziggyspots - 8 months ago

Things are about to get interesting :)

Shadowfaux - 8 months ago

\o/ Soon

Lorastina_Hrethirefr - 8 months ago

"Start the march" oh lawd

Serpentius - 8 months ago

Surname Reservation FAQ

Q1: What is the character limit?
A1: Surnames can be a maximum of 25 characters, with no word larger than 16 characters.

Q2: Do community members need to know their surname as soon as they are asked to reserve it?
A2: Members may reserve their surname when their time comes up. Members can start the reservation process at any time, and we recommend reserving your surname sooner to ensure you get the one you want.

Q3: Is the character limit per word so each can be that length or combined total of all characters in the surname including spaces?
A3: Combined total including space - 25.

Q4: Do you define words to be separated from one another by space only or does an apostrophe or hyphen also count as a word separator?
A4: An apostrophe or hyphen is treated like any other allowed character.

Q5: What if my surname is taken?
A5: Then you will need to choose a different surname.

Q6: How do I ensure my family members can use my surname?
A6: How this will work isn't finalized yet, but more details will be forthcoming

Q7: Someone chose a surname with 1 letter or character off from mine, how do I ensure they aren’t mistaken for me or a member of my family?
A7: Each surname is unique on your server, and Counts and above can reserve surnames across all servers. Despite the similarity, there is nothing we can do to stop another player from choosing a similar surname. However, using extended ASCII characters to try to achieve this kind of difference will not work. Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same for the purposes of surname reservation.

Q8: What symbols or puncutation can we use when reserving a surname?
A8: You may use a hyphen or apostrophe in your surname.

Q9: I have a Bloodline on layaway, can I still reserve my surname?
A9: No, your qualified package must be paid off in order to utilize this feature.

Q10: What if I don’t agree with a rejection of my surname request?
A10: All decisions are final, Soulbound Studios are the final arbiters in regards to approving surnames for use in game.

Q11: The availability system says my surname is invalid, but it doesn’t have any bad words in it?
A11: Exclusions include copyrighted names, Elyrian lore names, reserved NPC names, and more. All determinations of invalid words are final. Choose a different name.

Q12: I think there is a bug as my name has no issue and yet the system is still declining it?
A12: You can email support@soulboundstudios.com if you feel strongly there is a bug. However, all decisions made by Soulbound in response to your inquiry are final and cannot be disputed.

Q13: How do I know if a word is on Soulbound's exclusion list, can I see the list?
A13: We will not share the list publicly.

Q14: Is there a limit to the number of identical letters I can use in sequence? (e.g. mmmmmnnnnn)
A14: Your name should be chosen wisely. While repeating characters may not be automatically disallowed, it likely won't pass our approval for use in the game - if it doesn't make sense.

Q15: Is my reservation 100% safe and locked in as soon as the reservation tool allows me to send it or might you come back to individual players and ask to choose a different name? If you do, how will it influence the reservation process?
A15: No, surname reservations are not locked in until they are approved by Soulbound Studios. Reservations will be made in influence order. If you receive a rejection, you will simply need to try again.

Q16: Is there a minimum amount of vowels needed for a surname to be accepted?
A16: No.

Q17: I plan to play as a Ward of the State. Can I also reserve a surname?
A17: Surname reservation allows you to claim a custom surname regardless of your heritage.

Q18: Can I claim the same Surname, and be a part of an extended family?
A18: We're working out the details and will have more to share in the future. For now, claim the surname you want.

Q19: By allowing use of the extended character set, how will you stop someone from reserving a surname exactly the same as mine by using extended characters?
A19: It's not possible to create "alternative" names using extended Latin characters, as we treat them the same as normal letters when looking for used names. Essentially, Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same.

Q20: What if I make a mistake, accidentally submitting the surname? What if I have submitted a surname, but have come up with a better one or simply don’t like the one I’ve chosen? How do I change it?
A20: You can use a rename token, if you have one. If not, these will be purchasable in the future.

Q21: Where do I select the Coat of Arms for my surname?
A21: Coat of Arms are not part of the surname reservation, but will be covered in the future.

Q22: May I choose my own surname now even if I am planning to play inside other family?
A22: Sure, it still puts that surname on the server and allows you to create characters with it at any time.

Q23: How can we make our surnames similar to the game world languages if we don't have an idea of tribe-specific languages yet?
A23: We've been working on the languages for a while now. Thus, when surname reservation is open, we will provide a random name generator that will provide suggestions for your surname in relation to a specific tribe.

Q24: What happens if you select a surname now and during domain selection you choose a tribe which disallows the name you chose?
A24: We are not restricting the type of surname you choose for your character.

Q25: Will a nobility particle be included into noble‘s name or do we have to include it?
A25: You must include all elements of the surname you want yourself. Elyria has no nobility particles such as "von".

Q26: I want my friend to enter the same surname as I did so we can start out in the same family, but it won’t let us do it because I’ve already claimed it. What can we do?
A26: The reservation tool works as intended. Surname reservation does not allow you to join the same family that way. Stay tuned for more information on personas and how to become part of the same family at a later point in time.

Q27: I have accidentally included a character’s given name for the family I had in mind and confirmed submission. Can I cancel it?
A27: You cannot cancel a surname reservation, but you can use a rename token to change it.

Q28: Will the surname reservation become unavailable at some point in time? When would that be and would the name generator disappear with it?
A28:New surnames will be available through the end of Exposition. The name generator may persist afterward.

Q29: Can I change my surname using in-game mechanics after KoE, Exposition or launch?
A29: Yes, there will be methods.

Q31: How can I find out about the proper pronunciation of a (generated) surname?
A31: Please be on the look out for Vye's Communication Design Journal for more information.

Q32: If I change my mind and I no longer want the surname I reserved, what happens to my family and items in my inventory?
A32: The surname will still exist on the server you register it on. You can create a character in that family whenever you like. Any existing family members or items will persist in-game with or without your participation.

Q33: I can hold off on reserving my surname, but I'm concerned someone else might reserve it before I can.
A33: Reserve your surname as quickly as you can!

Q34: If we choose a custom surname does it apply to our first character? Or can we choose when to use it? (Does the first soul I put a spark in to get the surname or do I get to pick which characters it applies to?)
A34: Character creation involves choosing a surname. In the case that you have created a surname on a server, you'll have the option to select it for any characters you create on that server. However, you can also choose to join another family on any character as well.

Q35: Do I have to use my surname for my baron character or I can use it for any other character I create?
A35: During KOE, players will be creating their dynasties, so their title will absolutely be tied to the surname they've reserved.

Q36: What if a name is chosen that doesnt fit and is not approved by the studio? Will a player be required to purchase a rename token?
A36: Surnames apply just like Forum usernames, if the surname violates naming rules (vulgarity/inappropriate name) the surname will be issued a rename without charge to the recipient. As for names that don't "jive" with Tribe language, there are no mechanical effects planned in-game for non-tribe specific names.

Q37: If players intend to play as a family with the same surname, or two counts intend on playing as brother and sister, can they all choose the same surname?
A37: They can be in the same family, which is why "surnames wont always be unique" is accurate. If a group of players want to be part of the same family, there will be a way of the surname owner to share that last name with them with personas.

Q38: I don't know what tribe I will be, isn't it too early to be choosing surnames or using a name generator based on tribe?
A38: Player-created surnames do not have to match the tribe. There will be no game-enforced penalties for there being a mismatch. Ultimately, the tribal cultures created by Soulbound Studios are a jumping-off point and the expectation is that players will shape it going forward. If you feel strongly about a surname because it is part of your character's identity, this is your chance to reserve it. If you'd like to, instead, gain inspiration from the tribe you intend to play, that is why we are including a tribal surname generator. If you do not have a surname or a tribe in mind, then I'd expect you're not too worried about other people sniping a name you couldn't possibly have conceived yet.

If your question isn't listed here, please feel free to ask in Discord, or in this thread.

You can also email us at support@soulboundstudios.com for further clarification or if you encounter any issues.

Have fun and may your IP be ever in your favor ;)

(Edit: Typo in A15, corrected - 3/5/2018)

Maddonach - 8 months ago
@Serpentius:

Posted By Serpentius at 2:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Okay, so I got myself a random question that perhaps I'm not understanding or maybe just reading something wrong, in this here lizard brain.

Would someone need to name themselves "Baron Bob" or would it just be Baron going off the rank, and then the character name, like does someone have to rename themselves or during surname reservation include their rank in their name, or will the rank just be shown automatically, thus like for me, while I have Courtier on layaway at the moment, would I need to be renamed to "Count Maddonach" or just Maddonach, and then in-game it would recognize me as Count - Insert Name Here.

I'm either confused on how the rank listings will show up or just confused on how Surnames work, or both. LOL.

Shady Clown - 8 months ago
@Maddonach:

Posted By Maddonach at 10:08 AM - Mon Feb 26 2018

Posted By Serpentius at 2:11 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Just name yourself Maddonach and the Count title will automatically tie to it. So no you don't have to name yourself Count Maddonach.

The question you quoted was the guy asking: if the surname of my baron character is bob. Can I create a new non-baron character and also make his surname bob? The answer seems to imply that since the surname Bob is the surname of a dynasty, it can only used by members of that dynasty.

Maddonach - 8 months ago