COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Surname Reservation begins in March!

Last year, we hinted that surname reservation would be on the way very shortly. We had to do additional work to ensure account merging went smoothly, but now that we've completed those tasks, it's time to start the march towards surname reservation!

Starting on March 1, we'll start to roll out the surname reservation feature to users based on influence order. Not sure how much influence you have? Log in to your Chronicles of Elyria profile to find out!

This is your opportunity to reserve a unique surname in Chronicles of Elyria! To participate in surname reservation, you need a minimum pledge package of Bloodline or above, or a Surname & Coat of Arms item from our online store.

What's Surname Reservation?

Reserve a surname that becomes a part of the game's history on your server. Build a dynasty with a custom surname that will last centuries in the game! When your character's soul moves on to the next body, your surname will live on over the generations of which Chronicles of Elyria will unfold.

Are There Restrictions to the Surname I Choose?

We're building an immersive world in Chronicles of Elyria. To achieve that goal, we need to set a few parameters in place to able to maintain that immersion. So that means you won't be seeing any B0aty McB0atface's running around New Haven. Here's the list of restrictions:

• Cannot contain numerals
  • Cannot have any leading or trailing space before or after the surname if there isn't a second word
  • Cannot contain any symbols other than one apostrophe and/or one hyphen (example: Ba-twoon'ip)
  • Can have at most one apostrophe and one hyphen
  • There can be at most one space, max of two words (example: von Baschturen, Red Beard)
  • May contain Extended Latin character set (a-z plus: À, Á, Â, Ã, Ä, Å, Æ, Ç, È, É, Ê, Ë,Í, Î, Ï, Ð, Ñ, Ò, Ó, Ô, Õ, Ö, Ø, Ù, Ú, Û, Ü, Ý, Þ, ß, à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ, ç, è, é, ê, ë, ì, í, î, ï, ð, ñ, ò, ó, ô, õ, ö, ø, ù, ú, û, ü, ý, þ, ÿ, þ, µ)
  • May contain at most two capital letters per word, one of which must be the first letter of the word (example: McDonald, Van Nuren, van Nuren)
  • May not include any of the names or words in Soulbound Studios' surname exclusion list (profanity, copyrighted names, Caspian, etc.)
  • If your surname does not meet the above requirements, it will be considered invalid, and you'll have to choose another surname.

And if you need some inspiration, we're giving everyone the ability to play around with our Elyrian random-name generator! Random surnames are created using the language rules we create for each language. Use the random-name generator to see what sort of surnames would be associated with the tribes of Elyria!

How Will It Work?

• You'll need to log into your Chronicles of Elyria account before you can start the surname reservation process.
  • You'll need to own either a Bloodline or above package, OR a Surname and Coat of Arms item to reserve your surname.
  • We'll announce the web address for surname reservation when it goes live. Once we've published that page, there will be an "availability" button you can click, and you'll find out if the surname of your choosing is: available, unavailable, or invalid. If your surname is unavailable or invalid, you will be notified and you'll have to enter another surname.
  • Once you choose an available surname, you'll click on submit and the name will enter the approval process. You will be notified via private message regarding if your surname was approved or rejected. If your surname was approved, congratulations! If your surname was denied, you will have to start the process over again.

Soulbound Studios reserves the right to approve or reject any submitted surname. All surnames will go through an approval process and surnames may be rejected that are inappropriate to the game world, even if they do not violate the above criteria.

A Sneak Peek

In case you missed it in a recent post from Executive Producer Vye, here's a look at what the page will look like when it launches in March.

Still have questions?

If you are unable to find your answer on the page above you can get help via one of these alternate methods:

Edit: 2/26/2018 - Edited final total of 63 allowable extended Latin characters

2/14/2018 7:11:25 PM #1

Surname Reservation FAQ

Q1: What is the character limit?
A1: Surnames can be a maximum of 25 characters, with no word larger than 16 characters.

Q2: Do community members need to know their surname as soon as they are asked to reserve it?
A2: Members may reserve their surname when their time comes up. Members can start the reservation process at any time, and we recommend reserving your surname sooner to ensure you get the one you want.

Q3: Is the character limit per word so each can be that length or combined total of all characters in the surname including spaces?
A3: Combined total including space - 25.

Q4: Do you define words to be separated from one another by space only or does an apostrophe or hyphen also count as a word separator?
A4: An apostrophe or hyphen is treated like any other allowed character.

Q5: What if my surname is taken?
A5: Then you will need to choose a different surname.

Q6: How do I ensure my family members can use my surname?
A6: How this will work isn't finalized yet, but more details will be forthcoming

Q7: Someone chose a surname with 1 letter or character off from mine, how do I ensure they aren’t mistaken for me or a member of my family?
A7: Each surname is unique on your server, and Counts and above can reserve surnames across all servers. Despite the similarity, there is nothing we can do to stop another player from choosing a similar surname. However, using extended ASCII characters to try to achieve this kind of difference will not work. Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same for the purposes of surname reservation.

Q8: What symbols or puncutation can we use when reserving a surname?
A8: You may use a hyphen or apostrophe in your surname.

Q9: I have a Bloodline on layaway, can I still reserve my surname?
A9: No, your qualified package must be paid off in order to utilize this feature.

Q10: What if I don’t agree with a rejection of my surname request?
A10: All decisions are final, Soulbound Studios are the final arbiters in regards to approving surnames for use in game.

Q11: The availability system says my surname is invalid, but it doesn’t have any bad words in it?
A11: Exclusions include copyrighted names, Elyrian lore names, reserved NPC names, and more. All determinations of invalid words are final. Choose a different name.

Q12: I think there is a bug as my name has no issue and yet the system is still declining it?
A12: You can email [email protected] if you feel strongly there is a bug. However, all decisions made by Soulbound in response to your inquiry are final and cannot be disputed.

Q13: How do I know if a word is on Soulbound's exclusion list, can I see the list?
A13: We will not share the list publicly.

Q14: Is there a limit to the number of identical letters I can use in sequence? (e.g. mmmmmnnnnn)
A14: Your name should be chosen wisely. While repeating characters may not be automatically disallowed, it likely won't pass our approval for use in the game - if it doesn't make sense.

Q15: Is my reservation 100% safe and locked in as soon as the reservation tool allows me to send it or might you come back to individual players and ask to choose a different name? If you do, how will it influence the reservation process?
A15: No, surname reservations are not locked in until they are approved by Soulbound Studios. Reservations will be made in influence order. If you receive a rejection, you will simply need to try again.

Q16: Is there a minimum amount of vowels needed for a surname to be accepted?
A16: No.

Q17: I plan to play as a Ward of the State. Can I also reserve a surname?
A17: Surname reservation allows you to claim a custom surname regardless of your heritage.

Q18: Can I claim the same Surname, and be a part of an extended family?
A18: We're working out the details and will have more to share in the future. For now, claim the surname you want.

Q19: By allowing use of the extended character set, how will you stop someone from reserving a surname exactly the same as mine by using extended characters?
A19: It's not possible to create "alternative" names using extended Latin characters, as we treat them the same as normal letters when looking for used names. Essentially, Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same.

Q20: What if I make a mistake, accidentally submitting the surname? What if I have submitted a surname, but have come up with a better one or simply don’t like the one I’ve chosen? How do I change it?
A20: You can use a rename token, if you have one. If not, these will be purchasable in the future.

Q21: Where do I select the Coat of Arms for my surname?
A21: Coat of Arms are not part of the surname reservation, but will be covered in the future.

Q22: May I choose my own surname now even if I am planning to play inside other family?
A22: Sure, it still puts that surname on the server and allows you to create characters with it at any time.

Q23: How can we make our surnames similar to the game world languages if we don't have an idea of tribe-specific languages yet?
A23: We've been working on the languages for a while now. Thus, when surname reservation is open, we will provide a random name generator that will provide suggestions for your surname in relation to a specific tribe.

Q24: What happens if you select a surname now and during domain selection you choose a tribe which disallows the name you chose?
A24: We are not restricting the type of surname you choose for your character.

Q25: Will a nobility particle be included into noble‘s name or do we have to include it?
A25: You must include all elements of the surname you want yourself. Elyria has no nobility particles such as "von".

Q26: I want my friend to enter the same surname as I did so we can start out in the same family, but it won’t let us do it because I’ve already claimed it. What can we do?
A26: The reservation tool works as intended. Surname reservation does not allow you to join the same family that way. Stay tuned for more information on personas and how to become part of the same family at a later point in time.

Q27: I have accidentally included a character’s given name for the family I had in mind and confirmed submission. Can I cancel it?
A27: You cannot cancel a surname reservation, but you can use a rename token to change it.

Q28: Will the surname reservation become unavailable at some point in time? When would that be and would the name generator disappear with it?
A28:New surnames will be available through the end of Exposition. The name generator may persist afterward.

Q29: Can I change my surname using in-game mechanics after KoE, Exposition or launch?
A29: Yes, there will be methods.

Q30: How much time will I have to reserve my surname before it will be open to players with less influence points than me?
A30: We are not revealing the influence order or intervals between reservation windows. Please check your private messages for a notification of when your reservation window is open.

Q31: How can I find out about the proper pronunciation of a (generated) surname?
A31: Please be on the look out for Vye's Communication Design Journal for more information.

Q32: If I change my mind and I no longer want the surname I reserved, what happens to my family and items in my inventory?
A32: The surname will still exist on the server you register it on. You can create a character in that family whenever you like. Any existing family members or items will persist in-game with or without your participation.

Q33: I can hold off on reserving my surname, but I'm concerned someone else might reserve it before I can.
A33: Reserve your surname as quickly as you can!

Q34: If we choose a custom surname does it apply to our first character? Or can we choose when to use it? (Does the first soul I put a spark in to get the surname or do I get to pick which characters it applies to?)
A34: Character creation involves choosing a surname. In the case that you have created a surname on a server, you'll have the option to select it for any characters you create on that server. However, you can also choose to join another family on any character as well.

Q35: Do I have to use my surname for my baron character or I can use it for any other character I create?
A35: During KOE, players will be creating their dynasties, so their title will absolutely be tied to the surname they've reserved.

Q36: What if a name is chosen that doesnt fit and is not approved by the studio? Will a player be required to purchase a rename token?
A36: Surnames apply just like Forum usernames, if the surname violates naming rules (vulgarity/inappropriate name) the surname will be issued a rename without charge to the recipient. As for names that don't "jive" with Tribe language, there are no mechanical effects planned in-game for non-tribe specific names.

Q37: If players intend to play as a family with the same surname, or two counts intend on playing as brother and sister, can they all choose the same surname?
A37: They can be in the same family, which is why "surnames wont always be unique" is accurate. If a group of players want to be part of the same family, there will be a way of the surname owner to share that last name with them with personas.

Q38: I don't know what tribe I will be, isn't it too early to be choosing surnames or using a name generator based on tribe?
A38: Player-created surnames do not have to match the tribe. There will be no game-enforced penalties for there being a mismatch. Ultimately, the tribal cultures created by Soulbound Studios are a jumping-off point and the expectation is that players will shape it going forward. If you feel strongly about a surname because it is part of your character's identity, this is your chance to reserve it. If you'd like to, instead, gain inspiration from the tribe you intend to play, that is why we are including a tribal surname generator. If you do not have a surname or a tribe in mind, then I'd expect you're not too worried about other people sniping a name you couldn't possibly have conceived yet.

If your question isn't listed here, please feel free to ask in Discord, or in this thread.

You can also email us at [email protected] for further clarification or if you encounter any issues.

Have fun and may your IP be ever in your favor ;)

(Edit: Typo in A15, corrected - 3/5/2018)

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

2/14/2018 11:33:15 PM #2

"Start the march" oh lawd

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14485/naeast-county-of-nottviðr-kingdom-of-vornair

2/14/2018 11:34:00 PM #3

\o/ Soon

2/14/2018 11:41:17 PM #4

Things are about to get interesting :)

Friend Code: B8ADDD

2/14/2018 11:50:06 PM #5

What is the rule set for first names? Any minimum characters?

2/14/2018 11:50:24 PM #6

Oh boy, oh boy! Also thank you for disallowing similar names in regards to the Latin ASCII characters.

Friend Code: CB1D33

2/14/2018 11:51:29 PM #7

I believe it was stated counts and above will reserve on all servers instead of just one - any chance of a purchasable that will allow others to do the same?

One should not gain respect by virtue of their bloodline; a bloodline's glory rests upon the deeds of its members.

2/14/2018 11:55:58 PM #8

Looks awesome! It's exciting to see these logistical pieces come together.

Posted By Serpentius at 11:11 AM - Wed Feb 14 2018

A12: You can email [email protected] if you feel strongly there is a bug. However, all decisions made by Soulbound in response to your inquiry are final and cannot be disputed.

Wanted to also point out the typo in the support email address, just in case someone were to mistakenly email "soulbooundstudios".

2/15/2018 12:01:20 AM #9

Posted By Syzygy at 3:55 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Looks awesome! It's exciting to see these logistical pieces come together.

Posted By Serpentius at 11:11 AM - Wed Feb 14 2018

Wanted to also point out the typo in the support email address, just in case someone were to mistakenly email "soulbooundstudios".

Thanks, fixed :)

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

2/15/2018 12:03:02 AM #10

I wonder if Sarescaspianseras would be fine, or other names that are not allowed packed between other names/words.

Please kindly add this as Q39 since we never know if somebody wants to sneak in unapproved words.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

2/15/2018 12:07:57 AM #11

Posted By Sareseras at 7:03 PM - Wed Feb 14 2018

I wonder if Sarescaspianseras would be fine, or other names that are not allowed packed between other names/words.

Please kindly add this as Q39 since we never know if somebody wants to sneak in unapproved words.

The manual approval process would filter out any attempts to exploit the system if they are an actual concern.

2/15/2018 12:11:02 AM #12

"ç, ñ, ß, µ, å, æ, â, à, á, ä, ê, ë, è, é, î, ì, í, ï, ø, ô, ò, ó, ö, û, ù, ú, ü, ÿ"

Noooo :(

Please reconsider on those... No one knows how to type them, so will make initiating chat with those folks kind of difficult.

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

World Class Indoorsman

2/15/2018 12:32:07 AM #13

If you are going to allow extended latin characters, perhaps a tutorial on how to use them? Like Lethality said, we'd be unable to initiate chat with someone using ß or æ without cut and paste.

2/15/2018 12:36:55 AM #14

Posted By Lethality at 11:11 AM - Thu Feb 15 2018

"ç, ñ, ß, µ, å, æ, â, à, á, ä, ê, ë, è, é, î, ì, í, ï, ø, ô, ò, ó, ö, û, ù, ú, ü, ÿ"

Noooo :(

Please reconsider on those... No one knows how to type them, so will make initiating chat with those folks kind of difficult.

Sincerely, ßüññÿ ßóø

They semi answered this actually,

Q19 and A19 - "as we treat them the same as normal letters when looking for used names. Essentially, Black, Bläck, Blâck, Blàck, Bláck, Blåck are effectively the same."

Meaning people will be able to write the name normally even if the special version was used in the actual name. I suspect most people tend to try write the names normally, before seeking clarification if the first attempt fails.

2/15/2018 1:15:51 AM #15

\o/