COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
complete perma death on drowning...

You do know this will be the ultimate capital punishment... Why would this exist? Players will abuse this system and make sure if some one does something wrong they can force the player to drown themselves in the deep ocean.

I just don't see how in a social sandbox MMO for this mechanic to exist. The law and the tyrants will indeed basically force people to spend another 30bucks IRL just to play again.

2/23/2017 1:47:21 PM #1

It's not any drowning, it's drowning deep out at sea.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

2/23/2017 1:50:11 PM #2

The rulers are at the mercy of the mob, do you think the general playerbase would sit idly by if their government began executing players with permadeath for light crimes?

2/23/2017 2:15:32 PM #3

There is no way for them to 'force the player to drown themselves in the deep ocean'. They can not even force them to get onto the ship.

That means that it is a voluntary action and is the epitome of the games risk vs reward attitude. You could find whole new worlds out there and be rich, or you could make the ultimate sacrifice.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/23/2017 3:27:27 PM #4

Kings/Queens can to go to war with a kingdom if they feel like another King/Queen is out of line. Also, being a tyrant is most likely just going to back fire, keeping your people happy and working is just going to make your kingdom that much stronger.

2/23/2017 3:32:08 PM #5

First voyages would have been quite dangerous

2/23/2017 4:06:58 PM #6

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 08:15 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

There is no way for them to 'force the player to drown themselves in the deep ocean'. They can not even force them to get onto the ship.

That means that it is a voluntary action and is the epitome of the games risk vs reward attitude. You could find whole new worlds out there and be rich, or you could make the ultimate sacrifice.

Correct. There is no way to drag anyone around unless you are bringing them to the nearest jail. And that would not involve a ship in the middle of the ocean unless you caught someone aboard a ship. And then you can just make the mechanic set up to not allow players to toss anyone over any ledge or off any ship.

2/23/2017 4:15:11 PM #7

Posted By Kaynadin at 10:06 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 08:15 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Correct. There is no way to drag anyone around unless you are bringing them to the nearest jail. And that would not involve a ship in the middle of the ocean unless you caught someone aboard a ship. And then you can just make the mechanic set up to not allow players to toss anyone over any ledge or off any ship.

It has already been stated that you can't force them off a cliff as you basically drag them behind you.. I guess you could attempt to drag them off a cliff or ship but would cost you just as much as them if it worked.

Friend code: 172B2A

2/23/2017 4:43:36 PM #8

So our characters can't swim?

2/23/2017 4:49:11 PM #9

I don't know if swiming is a thing but even if it is the shear size of the map means that you'll most probably run out of stamina before reaching shore

2/23/2017 4:50:55 PM #10

Posted By SoulSpark at 10:43 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

So our characters can't swim?

No one has said that.. But with fatigue in the game, and your character needing to actually rest. Don't expect that if you fall off a ship in deep water you will be able to swim back to shore. I'm going to guess that the "Shallow water" our boats can navigate at the start will have a decent size to it. Maybe if you fell into the water at the edge of that and deep water, you could make it back.. We need to see the map to determine that.

2/23/2017 5:02:23 PM #11

Yeh but Dolphins have been known to help people out.

2/23/2017 5:27:02 PM #12

Posted By SoulSpark at 11:02 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Have you seen a dolphin like creature mentioned for CoE?

2/23/2017 5:46:23 PM #13

Posted By SoulSpark at 09:02 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

sharks have a reputation for doing just the opposite :)

2/23/2017 8:47:20 PM #14

I'm quite sure no one can force you onto the ship and into deep ocean if you don't want to go...

However, oceanic ship travels will be perfect opportunity to get rid of someone you don't like or simply a perfect opportunity for very bad trolls.

How? Very simple:

• oceanic travel unlocks
  • you are a troll and you join oceanic expedition as a sailor
  • in the middle of the ocean, you go frenzy, kill some people and (if successful) throw them overboard
  • you can do it even silently during the night while most crew is asleep, and possibly not even get caught

Boom, you just costed few people 30$ (and huge amount of time invested in their characters which is far more valuable than 30$).

Now, counter arguments could be:

• you can recruit a crew that you trust for your oceanic expedition
  • you can make sure you keep up good security on the ship

However:

• there is still a possibility that someone you trusted decides to do such a thing (remember how many crimes IRL are done by those close to you)

I agree about the risk vs. reward thing, I'm just writing this for people to think a little about how they will feel if they will be on the receiving end, maybe even by someone they trusted.

I suppose kings and high nobility will probably not travel on pioneer missions like this, so for most of them this likely isn't a factor (but still could be if they will go). But what about all those players that will go?

Just consider it. I, personally, am not sure how I feel about this yet. This mechanic has its pros and cons.

Pros:

• excitement of oceanic travel (with included high risk) will be that much higher

Cons:

• possibility of bad abuse by someone who decides to waste someones RL money and time just for the fun of it (or revenge)

Suggestion:

• disable all body dragging possibilities while in deep ocean zone, so if you get murdered by someone there, you can just respawn near your corpse on the ship (and thus not drown)

• keep drowning perma death mechanic in case of ship disasters, if storms (or bad management) sink the ship and people actually drown due to legit (non troll) reasons

What still could be an issue:

• can someone (who is a member of the expedition) sink the ship deliberately (by making damage to the hull or being on helm and deliberately driving the ship in some rocks)? This person may not care about his own 30$, but gets his fun out of costing whole crew of the expedition their 30$ and playing time.

How to make sure the excitement of oceanic travel remains high with the risk vs reward mechanics, but in the same time prevent potential abuse from bad players?

Should prevention of such abuse even be considered? Or is this possibility something that people want included as a positive factor?

2/23/2017 8:50:46 PM #15

@Gothix

Why not be the one who recruits people in the first place and then throw all recruits overboard?