COMMUNITY - FORUMS - REPORT A BUG
Re-using old usernames - error?

So, uhm. Well. This happend.

I was just checking if this username was available now that the old Zultra changed his name. After filling out the form and clicking register a red text appeared beside the username field saying this username was in use (or something along those lines), but the form was already sending and the registration went through.

Not sure if working as intending or not, so I made this bug report.

Happy hunting.

Sincerely,

Zultra (apparently the reborn)

9/1/2017 8:36:48 AM #1

Are you now Zultra the White?

9/1/2017 8:38:51 AM #2

I... I guess so?

9/1/2017 11:55:43 AM #3

Man you inherited quite a lot of baggage. ^^

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

9/1/2017 2:34:04 PM #4

??

9/1/2017 2:57:33 PM #5

Posted By Zultra at

So, uhm. Well. This happend.

I was just checking if this username was available now that the old Zultra changed his name.

Why? what possible reason is there for you to check if a username that you know belonged to another member at some stage in the past was available unless it's for nefarious purposes?

After filling out the form and clicking register a red text appeared beside the username field saying this username was in use (or something along those lines), but the form was already sending and the registration went through.

So you attempted to register the username of another member who held that name in the past, knowing full well the history of that name. There is literally no reason to do so than to cause bother. You obviously know who Zultra is and was so you're not new to the board so this is clearly a troll account.

Far as I'm concerned this bug never needed to be discovered and I can't wrap my head around why someone would even attempt to register a unique username of the past when they knew it existed and belonged to someone else.

If you could enlighten us all as to the reasoning behind doing this in the first place that'd be great.

9/1/2017 3:08:28 PM #6

or maybe it was somebody who was testing the new name registration system, decided to see if old names could be used, and simply used a well-known one?

i think the odds of it being a troll account are way diminished since first thing they did was report the bug rather than make posts pretending to be Zutlra?

devs can address the issue, change name from Zultra - bug resolved

better than just a select few knowing of this and using it in an underhanded way?

9/1/2017 3:11:58 PM #7

Posted By Dleatherus at 4:08 PM - Fri Sep 01 2017

i think the odds of it being a troll account are way diminished since first thing they did was report the bug rather than make posts pretending to be Zutlra?

i think more likely they were so surprised it actually worked they decided to get recognition for being the first person to discover a registration bug but at the same time still annoy Maulvorn by posting under the name.

I simply find it perplexing anyone would wish to do it. If I'd changed my name then one day someone came along posting under SoulSpark and knew I previously had that name I'd feel trolled.

9/1/2017 3:24:59 PM #8

they might well have been surprised

at the same token only two posts have been made by the 'fake' Zultra, and both of them in this thread immediately reporting the bug

'damage' to Zultra? - none that i can see

benefit of somebody checking it out, seeing the bug exists and reporting it immediately? - potentially huge to everybody who has changed their name - doesn't effect or bother me since i haven't changed my account name

i think folks should be encouraged to find bugs of any kind, be it in the website, the game etc, and report them immediately

could have been done with a PM to the devs perhaps to avoid over reaction - sure - but nothing wrong with reporting it in the appropriate section of the forums intended for just this

hopefully other people don't stop reporting bugs for fear of being jumped on and accused of being exploiters, trolls etc?

(and no the account wasn't made by me lol)

9/1/2017 3:29:13 PM #9

A person does not need to pretend to be another person in order to troll them, simply having an account in their old name is sufficient enough, and it remains to be seen whether or not this account gets closed, or the name gets changed or whether they choose to post in future using it.

Sooner this is remedied the better, that's all I have left to say on the matter.

9/1/2017 3:33:08 PM #10

Posted By SoulSpark at 10:11 AM - Fri Sep 01 2017

Posted By Dleatherus at 4:08 PM - Fri Sep 01 2017

i think more likely they were so surprised it actually worked they decided to get recognition for being the first person to discover a registration bug but at the same time still annoy Maulvorn by posting under the name.

I simply find it perplexing anyone would wish to do it. If I'd changed my name then one day someone came along posting under SoulSpark and knew I previously had that name I'd feel trolled.

Except that wouldn't be your name any longer. Once you change your name you give up any right to use or have feelings about the previous incarnation.

While I agree it is odd let's face it Zultra/Maulvorn is the only person who made such a big deal about their name change that it warranted an entire post stating he changed it. Most likely it was the easiest name to check.

As bug reporting helps the community it is a good thing to have folks check. As the name was released when zultra changed to maulvorn it should be open to the next person to take. It's the that the renaming's purpose? So why should he or you feel trolled if someone else picks the name?

9/1/2017 3:37:51 PM #11

There is historical significance to the name as many posts were made under it, many replies exist on the forums with the term Zultra in them, when you say Zultra to people they know it was Maulvorn. So when the community expands and you have someone posting under a username that belonged to someone else you could end up with people getting their wires crossed and linking two different people where no link should exist, so no, when a username is technically freed up again it shouldn't be re-used "on purpose".

Most significantly, it's already causing friction and they've only posted under the name twice. This outcome was easily foreseen and should and could have been avoided.

9/1/2017 3:45:24 PM #12

Posted By SoulSpark at 10:37 AM - Fri Sep 01 2017

There is historical significance to the name as many posts were made under it, many replies exist on the forums with the term Zultra in them, when you say Zultra to people they know it was Maulvorn. So when the community expands and you have someone posting under a username that belonged to someone else you could end up with people getting their wires crossed and linking two different people where no link should exist.

Most significantly, it's already causing friction and they've only posted under the name twice. This outcome was easily foreseen and should and could have been avoided.

I believe the initial idea was since folks posted their ingame names and used their forum accounts (or set them up) as their ingame persona to give people a chance to change their forum name to something OOC.

As has been mentioned in the past by SBS the Dance of Dynasties should be played in character as death threats and such made OOC will be treated entirely different than those made IN character. The name change was most likely given as a chance for folks to correct their name if it was chosen based on a false premise that OOC and IN character would be the same.

To be honest this was going to happen. I know several folks who have changed their name yet no one made a big deal about it except the person in question. Since he has made a spectical of the name change no one should link the new zultra to the old one.

I agree this was a poor choice for a name but as the name was released no one has any claim on it other than the new owner. (Who I don't believe even wants it)

Would be no different than if I changed my name and someone else picked Malais. I would not be using the name any longer so why would it be locked? Once you choose to change your name it should be open to any and all who follow.

9/2/2017 1:57:28 PM #13

Some people seem to be taking this way too seriously.

Allegedly, curiosity plays a huge role in human nature. Believe it or not, that could've been the entire purpose behind this account. Not all intentions are as malicious as you may expect lol

It wouldn't really make sense to ban or delete the account; the name is available. Now that name changes are possible, many people may end up registering under old aliases. The way I see it, that is a good thing--think of it as recycling; now more people will get the chance to identify under a name they wanted but were previously unable to choose due to its being in use.

This has been the case in a couple different forums I've been to and I have never seen any strife over it. You lot are searching for turmoil in even the most ridiculous, petty of matters.

Posted By SoulSpark at 08:11 AM - Fri Sep 01 2017

If I'd changed my name then one day someone came along posting under SoulSpark and knew I previously had that name I'd feel trolled.

1) and..?

2) that person may not have known

3) if they did know who previously owned it, that still wouldn't confirm they used it for the sole purpose of causing the original owner any harm

So many unsubstantiated allegations may make a person wonder--

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

9/19/2017 6:45:09 PM #14

At this point this is not an issue we are able or willing to address as we do not see it as a wide-spread or large problem.

If the re-use of a username starts to become a problem in the future, we will review again and take further action.

Thank you.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

9/19/2017 10:13:30 PM #15

How often can one change their name, I choose my current one without thinking it through and I don't think I am going to play my old d&d fighter, chaotic neutral(totally evil by self gain only muahaha) but not with CoE.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC