COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Discord allowed?

In game there are no pigeons or crows or owls or whatever allowed to communicate fast. How about Discord? Discord should be disabled because its a communication channel that allows rulers and players to make arrangements. You want medieval phantasy? disable discord and other media that allow "fast communication". Stick with messages carried by horsemen. Just leave maybe advertising of duches counties etc available but not more. And kick kings and dukes and counts and mayors that use discord between them to discuss political matters or recruit players or tell their assassins to stay in hide till that day to attack that spot. You want medieval? Go medieval. If you dont allow gliding, remove all modern techniques.

5/17/2018 5:16:24 PM #1

How exactly do you propose that Discord be "disabled" for the vast majority of gamers who WOULD like to use it? You might as well get used to the reality that Discord will be a part of the CoE gaming experience, and there's not much to be done to stop that.

5/17/2018 5:17:50 PM #2

lol

5/17/2018 5:19:19 PM #3

Even if they wanted to do this, how would they do it? Discord is a program that runs on people's computers and phones and other devices outside of the game. You can no more tell people to not use Discord than you can tell them to not talk to their roommate who is also playing CoE or not call a friend on the phone. This is completely out of the control of the game and SBS.

5/17/2018 5:19:35 PM #4

Out of game communication isn't some horrible oversight SbS has somehow managed to overlook that is going to destroy their game. They're fully aware that people are able to talk out of game.

5/17/2018 5:22:25 PM #5

There is no way that SBS can prevent players from using discord (or any other Viop program) and they are aware of that. It is my understanding that as a counter to the use of Viop programs they are instead implementing mechanics into the game that make it more advantageous to the player to play the game in game, rather then metagaming with Viop programs.

5/17/2018 5:24:30 PM #6

Posted By mystichaze at 1:22 PM - Thu May 17 2018

There is no way that SBS can prevent players from using discord (or any other Viop program) and they are aware of that. It is my understanding that as a counter to the use of Viop programs they are instead implementing mechanics into the game that make it more advantageous to the player to play the game in the game, rather then metagaming with Viop programs.

That is the intent. A few mechanics off the top of my head. Identities, Reputation, Languages , and of course NPC communication.

5/17/2018 6:00:56 PM #7

Unfortunately there's always going to be meta-gaming, and even if there's nothing available for players to use outside of the game to help them, they will create it. Voice coms like Mumble, Ventrillo, and Teamspeak are great examples of this and they have existed for ages before the times of our Discord Overlords.

Rather than trying to prevent such a thing, I think SbS is making plans around the systems that players already use. There is no in-game VOIP, players would have to use another program like Discord to talk to each other if they want to, and it's not a planned feature for in-game communication either. However there's several reasons players should think carefully on the reasons why they should or shouldn't use VOIP for something plus it's immersion breaking for the player, if the player chooses to use it.

As Caspian stated in the older Chat System DJ: The other caveat is that unlike in most games, organizations/guilds do not automatically get a private chat channel. If you want to get the player aliases of your guild members and invite them to a private channel you may do so, however it's not automatic. This is done for two reasons. First, it breaks the immersion. If you want to have a guild meeting, then rent/purchase a guild hall, gather, and hash stuff out face-to-face. Being able to manage guild business remotely means guilds can spread out so far as to not be able to travel back to their origin city for meetings. This violates some of the realism of the world I'm striving for. Can players just use a VoIP technology to have guild meetings anyways? Sure. But this gets my point across.

As well as another comment on use of outside programs by Caspian:

... while we're not necessarily providing integrated VoIP, it's common in the more serious MMORPG organizations to require VoIP for organized events. No matter what features we add to allow for (or encourage) espionage, jumping on Discord, Vent, TS, etc.. is a good way to counter such attempts. Does this encourage more social interaction? Yes. Was that by design? Yes. It's shown that on the internet, deviance/toxicity is inversely proportional to how much anonymity one perceives they have. By encouraging players to use VoIP it should improve the overall player experience. We shall see.

5/17/2018 6:09:30 PM #8

Posted By Eowid at

In game there are no pigeons or crows or owls or whatever allowed to communicate fast. How about Discord? Discord should be disabled because its a communication channel that allows rulers and players to make arrangements. You want medieval phantasy? disable discord and other media that allow "fast communication". Stick with messages carried by horsemen. Just leave maybe advertising of duches counties etc available but not more. And kick kings and dukes and counts and mayors that use discord between them to discuss political matters or recruit players or tell their assassins to stay in hide till that day to attack that spot. You want medieval? Go medieval. If you dont allow gliding, remove all modern techniques.

Discord is not run by sbs. Next you're going to tell them to take down Facebook, twitte, instagram, the ability to next and call people over phone. People are going to talk outside of game it's just life. I don't know how illegally destroying someone else's app is going to solve anything.

5/17/2018 6:18:30 PM #9

Posted By Kyxsune at 12:24 PM - Thu May 17 2018

Posted By mystichaze at 1:22 PM - Thu May 17 2018

There is no way that SBS can prevent players from using discord (or any other Viop program) and they are aware of that. It is my understanding that as a counter to the use of Viop programs they are instead implementing mechanics into the game that make it more advantageous to the player to play the game in the game, rather then metagaming with Viop programs.

That is the intent. A few mechanics off the top of my head. Identities, Reputation, Languages , and of course NPC communication.

A couple more I can think of... if you report a crime in-game then bounty tokens can be generated. If you talk out of game then your friends going after the robber/murderer will become murderers themselves.

If you transfer goods via in-game contract it will be protected by laws... If you transfer without agreement nothing verifies delivery of the goods nor prevents them from claiming you stole the items you were given.

Npcs will outnumber players and will need to be communicated with in-game rather than via discord.

5/17/2018 6:31:23 PM #10

You got my point, they disable in game stuff like owls etc because they dont want fast reporting. In game reporting of sheats or crimes can be reported. Telling they dont want to introduce owls because it kills game communication, that's stupid. They dont even understand their own model Bit pissed off if they want a real medieval feeling they have to disable a LOT

5/17/2018 6:52:38 PM #11

Posted By Eowid at 2:31 PM - Thu May 17 2018

You got my point, they disable in game stuff like owls etc because they dont want fast reporting. In game reporting of sheats or crimes can be reported. Telling they dont want to introduce owls because it kills game communication, that's stupid. They dont even understand their own model Bit pissed off if they want a real medieval feeling they have to disable a LOT

What I'm getting from this rant is that you would like there to be in-game methods for delivering messages quickly to other players... AND for some reason Discord is unacceptable for filling that role.

Again, I recommend you simply get used to the fact that people are going to use Discord. It's inevitable. SBS CAN'T DISABLE IT. There's nothing to be done.

5/17/2018 6:58:09 PM #12

I just want snow owl in game nuf said. Game developpers dont want that fast way of transmitting messages, why allow discord?

5/17/2018 7:02:21 PM #13

Posted By Eowid at 11:31 AM - Thu May 17 2018

first of all welcome to CoE and the community

i believe that they understand their model a little better than you do

what might be happening here is simply that you aren't comprehending the reasons for certain things in their model

and that is understandable - CoE is a relatively complex game in terms of mechanics, and difficult to grasp all at once

i suggest dialing down your rhetoric a little, relax, get to know the in depth mechanics and subtleties of the game before going off on a bender that they don't allow for owls in game but discord can be used outside of game

5/17/2018 7:10:15 PM #14

Its what I think however game master wil not allow the use of cummunication birds the game will be mastered from discord channels

5/17/2018 7:11:54 PM #15

why not bird communication loo