20 April

April Showers Bring Elyrian Flowers

By Vye

Hail and well met, Elyrians!

In the last couple weeks, the team has been split between two major areas. The engineering team has been piling on the website to bring improvements and to prepare for the backend architecture needed for V3 and beyond. The content side of the team has been cultivating their creativity upon Titan's Steppe, developing breadth for the Prologue through visuals and animations and other effects.

Weather on the Steppe

Now that some new systems are in place to handle the environmental effects in the world, Heat has been providing some visual targets for our Environment team to hit. Last time I showed off the night sky paintovers, and this update I have a couple more to share. Keep in mind, that Chronicles of Elyria will have a weather system and seasons that will produce what you see below as you play. Of note, muddy roads and snow banks will affect travel and increase strain on people and vehicles that dare to venture outdoors...

Sometimes it rains and sometimes it pours

Snow accumulation in New Haven

Website Version 2.7.0

Work on the website continues! We've made a couple releases over the past couple weeks that have brought the following fixes and improvements:

Bounties Collected

Sometimes nefarious elements need to be brought to justice. We've tracked these ones down and their days of menacing the populace is over!

• Bullets and numbered lists should be indented more
  • Editing a post with markdown causes error message
  • Deleting the last post in a thread doesn't update the topic information
  • Fixed avatar size issues on mobile...mostly

Contracts Completed

In an effort to improve our community, we've also built new features that are sure to delight!

• Support for reporting if a post or comment needs to be moderated
  • Ability to change your Email Address
  • Ability to set avatar pictures (animated gifs supported for 10k influence and above)
  • A place to do Signature Preview in your Account settings
  • Ability to Preview prior to posting
  • Ability to change your user name
  • Shop item to purchase user name change - only visible if you have used your one-time, free name change
  • URLs and avatar pictures can't be set below 250 Influence in order to remove spam/troll accounts
  • URLs can be posted below 250 Influence if you link to our wiki or http://chroniclesofelyria.com
  • Temporarily disabled the Monarch package (layaway users can still complete their purchase)
  • Added spiffy moderator/admin backgrounds

Silver Run Mine Slowrun

After we did the speedrun of the PAX Demo, we talked about doing a slowrun so folks that weren't at the expo could enjoy and appreciate the progress we've been making on this area of the Prologue. I'm pleased to say that it's now available to watch! Hopefully it provides insight into our design philosophies and the features we've been working on for the last few months. Ultimately, all the gameplay you see could be in any area of the world. The environment you see boasts improvements to our lighting and atmospheric effects, along with what kinds of challenges you might find in a dungeon-delving expedition.

Open Topic Q&A on April 27th

We've done a lot of topical Q&As for the last six months in order to dive in a little deeper on topics that we were ready to expand on, beyond the Design Journals. There are always a lot of unrelated questions that come up that don't get answered because we want to make sure we provide depth on the topic-at-hand. This time, however, we are going to do an Open Topic Q&A so anything goes! That burning question that you've been saving for the right topic can be unleashed!

While many of the questions you have are going to be related to the gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised to also get questions about the studio, members of the team, what we think about the game industry or a specific game, how Caspian takes his rum, or other curiosities. Like I said, anything goes! 'Anything goes' doesn't mean we will have an answer for all your inquiries but, as always, we will do our best! To that end, I'll try to have more of the team in chat and on reddit to help field questions, even if not on camera.

The Q&A will take place on our Twitch.tv channel on Thursday, April 27th at 4PM PDT / 7PM EDT / 11PM GMT. We will be taking questions primarily from Reddit on this thread. Head on over and post your questions or vote up the ones you want to hear answered in the Q&A.

For those who miss it, the recording will be watchable on Twitch.tv for a limited time afterward and on our YouTube channel forever. So even if you can’t make the live session, your question from reddit may still be answered.

Please follow these rules when posting questions for the Q&A.

RULES

1. Please limit questions to 1 question per post, so it can be easily up-voted/down-voted
  2. Please limit yourself to 3 posts for a maximum of three questions per community member
  3. Keep your question brief. That makes it easier to read, and quicker to answer
  4. Make sure to upvote the posts of others you're most interested in hearing the answers to

Don't forget, many of the most common questions about CoE can be answered by reading over our design journals. If you're new to CoE, there is a wealth of information to begin with there.

We hope you'll join us Thursday, April 27th at 4PM PDT / 7PM EDT / 11PM GMT!

Pledged to Your Continued Adventures in Life, Both Actual and Fantasy,

Vye

Mjjollnir - 1 month ago

Pretty cool, all I really have to say is that if you haven't already I would try and take inspiration from Overgrowth, not in combat speed because their speed if far to fast for this type of game, you got combat speed down I think, but maybe animation and similar thing.

igor - 1 month ago

Awesome, I have been thinking, maybe weather will be able to kill our characters ?

Count_Emiya - 1 month ago
@igor:

Posted By igor at 1:22 PM - Thu May 11 2017

If you're native to a biome, harsh conditions in that environment will have less effect, but otherwise, probably yes, weather can kill.

DCCIID - 1 month ago

Environmental precipitation accumulation is definitely can be a very cool and something that I think is underconsidered for mmo's.

switchblade - 1 month ago

i think just like any other aspect of the game some people will attack you some will not itll all depend on their personality im assuming. some will be cowards some will be rough some will try to keep the peace who knows thats what i think would be the most plausible thing in my opinion

skullscar - 2 months ago

im starting to think living in a desert is fine .... i dont want to die in a snow storm or have my equipment rust out in a rain .....

sanglitch - 1 month ago
@skullscar:

I'll join you in the desert, it gets a little warm but if you get a nice outpost running it could be a nice spa for local adventurers.

Oracle - 2 months ago

Up early and no time for Q&A :( Quick thought. The top backer with close ties to Nirath is now in the double kingdom. Any concerns about monopoly or abuse or circumvention of the 2 kingdom limit intentions?

Will tribes develop internal hostilities as a barrier to such risks, or will the engine seek to award cassus belis or talents increasingly to counterbalance potential game breakers? :)

GregFrost - 2 months ago

Can u pick up thrown weapons after throwing them?

Girldarts - 2 months ago

This game has a lot of promise please continue, to keep up with the hard work!

Ravenlute - 2 months ago

Q&A tomorrow!

Mornaew - 2 months ago

Good read, thanks a lot.

Agrona - 2 months ago

Thanks for the update! Love the screenshots!! The environment looks amazing!

Oh and I've watched the Mine speed run and now the slow walk through! I am even more excited about the game!

Please make sure we have full control of the camera though, when we are hanging on a wall. Been playing the Uncharted series... and let me tell you, I can't stand it when a game takes away total camera control and you have to look at your character sideways or run towards the camera! :D

smashgood - 2 months ago

I really hope we get a confirmation soon about when the first alpha is coming out.

LORD_SHADOW - 2 months ago

Thank you!

Xzion - 2 months ago

Looks gr8!!! I do agree with the other person who mentioned the bird droppingesque hints for where parquor highlights being emersion breaking.. though in the tutorial it makes absolute sense. Also it makes sense if not every ledge or woodplank, etc. Isnt parquorable, you would have alot of senseless deaths due to jumping out to something that has no graspable surface. So maybe just some other highlighting system that doesnt look like bird droppings and is more subtle... or have an ability to turn off that hint for those who dont like it?

As far as.notnbeing able to take on more than 2 mobs at a time solo, typically wothout getting your butt handed to you. I would hope that is only the case as a noob, not when youve attained more skills and abilities. I really love being able to split mobs on pulls and aggro only one to make a fight more manageable, but it has to make sense. If theres 2 mobs standing and chatting or standing guard together there should be little to no ability to normally split that fight. Waiting for one to wander 10 feet away or around a corner then pulling them may.be a bot more realisitic. Though even at that range the other would hear a commotionand come aid. So either some skills like snare/trap/stun/distract/ would ve of benefit for these situations.

Jabberwok - 2 months ago

seems really pretty

huangolas - 2 months ago

winter system! this is just what i want!

Tail - 2 months ago

I did like the demo, however, It is really cheesy that you can fight 1 miner with another one standing just a few feet away acting like he has no clue that their is a fight. I hope when the game comes out it wont be like that. It seems to take away the realism that you guys are going for.

Taiashi - 2 months ago

please tell me we arent going to see chicken smearings on all parkourable surfaces. that is really emersion breaking. like i walk into a room, and i'm like hmmmm i wooonder where i need to go neeeext? as i stare at a wall of chicken crap.....

Chat - 2 months ago

When is the deadline for submitting our Package bonus perks? To name a few: Naming of gravestones, constellations and historical areas.

Bernard7620 - 2 months ago

Will we be able to run illegal businesses through legal businesses like have a tailor also run an assassin organisation. Imagine running a completely legal business like the tailors but if someone uses a code word you put them in a certain dressing room that may or may not lead to a secret room to ask about the not so legal business and will npcs like in a family run business be able to understand these code words and then take them to the "special" dressing room?

Xelkias - 2 months ago

Weather Effects look awesome! :)

Pham - 2 months ago

LET ME IN ALREADY!!

Aeryn Suun - 2 months ago

Will we be able to loot the NPCs?

Coldhart - 2 months ago

I have to say, everything looks amazing! You guys are doing a fantastic job. However, I do feel I have to say a couple things. I do understand that the demo is early work and things will be polished and re-worked and the end will be far better than the beginning. But the combat was definitely slow and clunky. I do hope you speed things up and that players will have at least several attacks and abilities. I mean RL combat would have move upon moves for various fighting styles. All we seem to see from the demo is two different slashes, a shield block and a shield bash. Hopefully we learn more moves along the way.

One more thing is that I agree that the AI seems lame at this time. Even if they're driven mad, would they not have some sort of path to walk? Seems to me I would expect mobs walking back and forth. Maybe even pairing up from time to time. But just standing still does seem lame, messed up in the head or not.

And honestly, why wouldn't we be able to take on several miners at one time. I understand that a warrior might have a problem taking on 3 or 4 other trained warriors. But miners? Miners usually aren't going to be trained killers. So why would we not be able to take on 3 or 4 miners? Also as our skills increase, shouldn't the ability to take on harder things also get easier? It's safe to assume if we are just starting and lack any real skill that we may not be able to fight very well. But after six months of play time and the skill points that have been built up in that time, shouldn't we be able to do more, take on more.

Maybe thinking in terms of skill vs amount of mobs. Miners or farmers, etc. should be easier to fight or kill than warriors or trained guards. Maybe if the mobs are mere miners, it would be more accurate if 3 or 4 of them did mob you and you could fight them off. This would make more sense than 3 of them just standing there 10 feet away. But at the same time if you came across a courtyard with half a dozen trained guards you know you would be killed if you just went running right in

Gwyn - 2 months ago

I love the atmosphere going on. In spite of being an MMO, it looks like it might end up feeling much more like a nice co-op RPG too if you grab a friend and go exploring.

Ageron - 2 months ago

Amazing !! keep up the good work!!

Litzkrieg - 2 months ago

Weather looks great! Looking forward to trudging through muddy streets and snow drifts. Gald to see an open Q&A to discuss important topics. Very interested to learn more about combat.

Aeryn Suun - 2 months ago

Thanks for the update. Hoping the next coming weekly posts will get back to having indepth status report on the main and core game. Once again thanks for the update.

Nitt - 2 months ago

"...muddy roads and snow banks will affect travel and increase strain on people and vehicles that dare to venture outdoors."

Vehicles can get bogged? Wheel ruts stay and harden causing rougher roads for a bit after things dry out?

Bieito_Skybourne - 2 months ago

Good update. Love the advancements on the weather.

Oracle - 2 months ago

They might even decide to outsource some of the AI. If the offline scripting is workable enough, they may just save some hassle and butcher community scripts :D

Ortherion - 2 months ago

Prototype

Iterate

Repeat

Repeat after me people, it is a pre-alpha demo, it is a pre-alpha demo.

Seriously, people questioning the Devs on the minor's AI. It is months away for them spending time to sharpen up the AI, have some patience.

The proof of concept of the parkour, ledges and jumping was fantastic.

The Demo is amazing for a pre-alpha first pass!!!

Ragnar_Nordskov - 2 months ago

This game looks pretty fun!

Grim - 2 months ago

I'm still curious as to what engine they've decided for their beta and official release! I looked through the Design Journals but I couldn't pinpoint any information on this. I may have missed it though?

RedDoggybone - 2 months ago

I have to say, after watching he video I sort of wish I weren't a Count now and was an adventurer instead.

Do I hear Alt any one?

Oracle - 2 months ago
@RedDoggybone:

Posted By RedDoggybone at 4:48 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Do I hear Alt any one?

That's the perfect solution. Manage a county with one character, and freely roam the world with another :)

The Savage - 2 months ago

Oh heck yes! But no safety rolls from large drops? Tst Tst. Your knees are going to hate you.

Kaynadin - 2 months ago

Agreed. Even a list like "We completed a sprint focused on animations, and two focused on survival and contract mechanics" would be interesting.

Costanius - 2 months ago

@Vye

The weather pictures look nice but may I ask to give us some more indepth updates and status report on the main and core game? How is the development of the main game coming along?

That silver mine demo from PAX is nice but in my opinion its not what CoE mainly is planned to be about. Climbing around in a dungeon and fighting some mobs is not what distinguishes CoE from other MMOs or 3rd person adventure games. Wouldn't it be better to put an emphasis on the features that'll make CoE unique and special?

jedt - 2 months ago

that all looks good.

the demo is all 3rd person, will that be the default for the finished product or will it be possible to play 1st person?

KuroYurei - 2 months ago
@jedt:

Same, I would also like to know the answer!

Ketobbey - 2 months ago
@jedt:

I want to know the answer also. <3 ty for asking it

vampsvzombies - 2 months ago

I loved this update, thanks Vye!

Raiborn - 2 months ago

Great update! cheers

Shealladh - 2 months ago

These should be inside the Newletter imho

Oracle - 2 months ago

Gorgeous world. It no longer matters if I like the gameplay. I could just explore and take it all in :)

Superb job as usual ;)

Ravenlute - 2 months ago

Those weather targets are inspiring. I'm eager to compare screenshots once the system is fully functional.

SmithersLorem - 2 months ago

Will there be a system in the game to build/construct objects on the water? (example: Floating naval bases at sea)

AuroraGrey - 2 months ago

I have a question this time, yay! Small thing, but important thing. Who do you guys consider to be your inspirations concerning and considering the music in Elyria, whether present if you've already got placeholder music for yourselves in testing, or for the eventual release? I ask this because I'm just going through Divinity: Original Sin, and while I love the game... I gave up and just turned the music off completely. It's not for me, at all - it's heavy on a lot of weird little quirky elements and some synth (I swear to god that's synth) and that throws me off of being into the game. It's not Wurm Online levels of bad (WUUURM IS WAAAAITING. Kill me please) but I don't think it's good for music to actually throw you off. Huge difference from playing, for instance, the Elder Scrolls, where Jeremy Soule's music is just one of those staples we've come to expect. I'm fond of the way that you can totally forget it's an element of the game, it just fits so well often that it feels like a natural, atmospheric part of the game. Just my thoughts and curiosities on music. Can't wait to be a part of Elyria someday sooner than we think.

Proteus - 2 months ago
@AuroraGrey:

Posted By AuroraGrey at 01:19 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Link to CoE soundcloud

Davepoleon - 2 months ago

No matter how many times I rewrite the next paragraph it comes out sounding shitty. I apologize in advance. I'm genuinely curious and not trying to come off as a nay-sayer.

About 7 minutes into the video of the mine you mention that combat is based on being realistic. Hence fighting 4 or 5 enemies will likely get you killed. But it doesn't seem very realistic for 3 or 4 enemies to ignore you while you go and kill their work buddy 15 feet away in plain sight of them. This doesn't seem like an idea that will scale very well. Maybe the miners are messed up in the head but certainly not every enemy in the world would be that way. Will a players ability to take on 4 or 5 enemies be attainable or will the game mostly rely on players proxy pulling 1 or 2 at a time due to the high difficulty of dealing with more opponents? Also, combat looks rather clunky. Somewhere between QWOP and launch ESO. Are there plans to clean that up before launch?

Souzou - 2 months ago
@Davepoleon:

Posted By Davepoleon at 10:03 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

So, that's a fair point, the miners ignoring you isn't very realistic. That, however, is not because of the design, but the AI. The AI we implemented for the Mine was our first pass, and as such, it is absolutely lacking in functionality and polish, but it is a start, and now that we've started, we can start iterating.

AI, Combat, both of these systems are in development. There is absolutely no way that the state of the systems in the demo are going to be the state of those systems even by Prologue. They are going to be heavily iterated, expanded upon, and refined. So expect to see even better stuff in the future.

PS: I love the words "Prototype" and "Iterate"? Those are two of my favorite words, right next to "Justice".

Scheneighnay - 2 months ago
@Souzou:

Posted By Souzou at 1:39 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Davepoleon at 10:03 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

That being said, how abnormal would it be for enemies to be just standing around like that waiting for something to aggro them?

It comes across to me as something that I wouldn't expect from a game like this.

Souzou - 2 months ago
@Scheneighnay:

Posted By Scheneighnay at 12:22 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Souzou at 1:39 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Davepoleon at 10:03 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

So, it's important to delineate between abnormal behavior and "abnormal" AI. There is such a thing as bad AI, but it is separate from abnormal AI. Abnormal behavior is interesting. Bad AI is bad.

What are your expectations exactly? Because having expectations for an entire game filled with an entire world's worth of unique entities that are going to have distinct behaviors means having quite a lot of expectations or having a narrow set of expectations that couldn't possibly be applicable in every scenario.

Like I said before, however, the miner's AI at the time of the demo is both minimal and not an accurate representation of the expected final state.

Scheneighnay - 2 months ago
@Souzou:

Posted By Souzou at 4/20/2017 9:47:03 PM

Posted By Scheneighnay at 12:22 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Souzou at 1:39 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Davepoleon at 10:03 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

The demo AI is to be expected, but what I'm saying is that, in rare cases like insane/possessed miners or whatever's going on, will they be standing around like that, or actually have some sort of passive script for when they aren't trying to tear someone's face off?

Souzou - 2 months ago
@Scheneighnay:

Posted By Scheneighnay at 4:08 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Souzou at 4/20/2017 9:47:03 PM

Posted By Scheneighnay at 12:22 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Souzou at 1:39 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Davepoleon at 10:03 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Ah, I see what you're asking. You'll have to wait and see ;).

Abigor - 2 months ago
@Davepoleon:

Posted By Davepoleon at 08:03 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Also, combat looks rather clunky.

They will rework combat in the future, I believe what they tried to show that combat work in a way where you will be actively holding block, swinging your sword, chaining combos etc. rather than just pushing 1/2 skill buttons.

Completely agree with you, I had the same thought as well. I understand that miners have something wrong with their heads, but they are attacking you, so why some just standing idle. If this is happening just because it's a pre-alpha then I have no worries, but if that was the point, I find it weird and unrealistic, if I approach camp and start attacking someone on the side, I would want to see others reacting to that - people who see me attack will rush to help their friend, if there is a sound of fighting, nearby people leaving their tents and checking what's up, or if they're just a commotion NPC will try to communicate and try to find out what's happening.

Not saying that the whole mine should rush at you, but at least people in the same room/area should attack you if they see you killing their allies. Also not trying to shit on anything, I just found this aspect to be weird for me as well.

Takeda_Shinukage - 2 months ago

I love all of the design talk in the video.

Kray - 2 months ago

Looks amazing, looking forward to the Q&A.

RooiKreef - 2 months ago

I have seen a lot of weather systems in games, but this one in CoE is going to be on another level. I cannot wait for the Q&A stream, I will not miss it for the world. This game is becoming more and more of a reality by the day. And the more info we get the better it starts to sound.
Keep up the great work!

CdnGrimReaper - 2 months ago

The snow accumulation reminds me of Canada lol

Un_muted - 2 months ago

I like that we have a free for all Q&A. I think thatll give individuals and myself a chance to find out more about PvP and combat a little bit. I feel this update was lacking substance, though. Maybe it has something to do with coming back from PAX or the devs are purposely being tight lipped because they want to surprise everyone with domain selection next week (just kidding, but wouldn't that be nice?)

Anyway, I'm fully intending to take advantage of this Q&A to really get into the weeds of the mechanics and I'm interested to see what everyone else's questions are.

CerebralDaemon - 2 months ago

That weather system, oh my god...

Ortherion - 2 months ago

I think I need a heavier cloak ;-)

The weather system looks fantastic.

JaPeMo - 2 months ago

Beautiful pictures, as always. Thanks

Proteus - 2 months ago

Can't wait to see people scurrying through the streets in the rain while carts splash on by.

Hollowsong - 2 months ago

I just have to say, those images of rain and snow accumulation are incredible!

Shadowfox - 2 months ago

Those effects are awesome

Eldanesh - 2 months ago

Always good to see an update. Really like the images that were posted. I also really appreciate getting to see the mines video instead of just the speed runs :D

justincredible - 2 months ago

Nice update, really appreciate it!

Edd - 2 months ago

Now they've done it. Prepare for a cazillion questions about the tribes!

Cheers for the update, can't wait for the Q&A!

Raithe - 2 months ago

Thanks for the update! Look forward to the QA

Awesome look at the updates to the weather system too!

Scheneighnay - 2 months ago

Vietnam flashbacks of trying to drive through deep mud and snow in War Thunder

Azeron - 2 months ago

Thank you very much for this update!

Ironside - 2 months ago